Rumour Daniel Merrett to be traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind Merrett going to the Suns. Will provide leadership that Bock had but he was never on the park and has since been delisted. Watching their games this year it was frustrating seeing McKenzie getting the 3rd tall every week and bringing Merrett in will allow Cameron time to develop and McKenzie to play a more attacking game.

Would be a good idea imo if looking purely at an on-field perspective - better to get a half-decent pick for him than just retiring in a couple of years, plus he's not really required when you consider:

Leuenberger, Martin, West, McStay, Paine, Freeman, Close, McGuane, Maguire, Staker, Merrett, Gardiner, Cutler, Patfull, Clarke - can all play as talls. Ryder is rumoured to be going there. They need less KPP's or third talls, and more midfielders. So if they can package Merrett up for a decent pick upgrade, I'd jump at that as a BL list manager.

Of course things aren't those simple and you have to look at a variety of factors as to why it might not work - but looking at those list of players, you'd think McGuane, Merrett, Staker and Paine will be gone by end of 2016. And then they still have a ****load of depth.
Maguire gone too

We need Rog to play once every 3 weeks to take an opposition player out.

The inference in the media is that Merritt has a history of poor behaviour. I'm not sure if they are alluding to on field reportable acts or off field indiscretions. Supposedly, whatever form they take, that's why the club supposedly wants to move him on.

He'd find a club easily.

Merrett is a clumsy 105kg man. He has on field aggression, but in a good way. It's just the clumsiness that gets him into trouble. The man has not one malice bone in his body. On the Barry hall scale he is a 1 out of 10.

I'd back us to get a late second rd pick for him, since he is contracted why give up anything less for him. It would be a throw away of talent for anything less, especially since he is still 29, so he has at least another couple of good years left in him.

Just heard on Triple M that the Lions CEO has confirmed that Merrett isn't being traded.
I think that defiantly the case if Patfull is traded. If Patfull stays and a club said "we offer pick 20 for him" I think the club would seriously look at it - especially if we end up giving our first two picks to Collingwood for Beams. I think Merrett has had serious interest from other clubs which has made him think about a move, but the fact is he is contracted for another two years means he ain't going anywhere unless there is an overs trade offered (e.g. pick 20).

I think that defiantly the case if Patfull is traded. If Patfull stays and a club said "we offer pick 20 for him" I think the club would seriously look at it - especially if we end up giving our first two picks to Collingwood for Beams. I think Merrett has had serious interest from other clubs which has made him think about a move, but the fact is he is contracted for another two years means he ain't going anywhere unless there is an overs trade offered (e.g. pick 20).
From what I've heard GWS will offer either end of round 1 compo pick they hold or roudn 2 pick for Patfull. If he wants to head into coaching after playing GWS would be a better bet in my opinion, but given what happened on GF day Sydney will definitely look at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back