Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

... also, anyone notice that Merrett tends to leave a trail of bodies in his wake? Of all the injuries opposition players have had against us this year, it seems that about half of them were from Merrett. Not that he's doing anything illegal, just that he's throwing his body around, and if people are silly enough to get in his way then they suffer the consequences.
I've noticed this since the Essendon match earlier this year. He does leave a trail of destruction.

Very important because he has a couple of inches on Maguire and Patfull and is quicker. I hope he can play 22 home & away games at full back next season and get All Australian honours.

I reckon Merrett would have been deadly in a different era where you could, perhaps, be a little more physical towards other players without getting suspended...

Lion Hearts
07 Sep, 2012
Michael Whiting

5. Daniel Merrett is better at full-back than full-forward
When Jonathan Brown fractured his face late in the Lions' pre-season, Michael Voss plumped for Merrett to fill his boots. Even when Brown returned in round three, Merrett stayed forward and was used as a back-up ruckman. 'Rog' did a terrific job in his makeshift role, kicking 26 goals in 17 games, but when moved to the defensive end for the final five weeks, looked right at home. A fully fit defensive trio of Merrett, Matt Maguire and the under-rated Joel Patfull has a good ring to it.

Moments of 2012
1 October 2012

Daniel Merrett’s seven-goal haul
Who would’ve thought that Daniel Merrett would kick the biggest bag of goals of any Lions player in 2012? The regular full-back did exactly that in Round 8 against GWS when he slotted seven goals in a dominant display. Remarkably, five of his goals came from a blistering opening quarter.

For those who missed it earlier this year, Daniel Merrett was on Triple J Mornings with their segment, 'Take 5'. He spoke at length with Zan Rowe about football, music and his background, and listed 5 songs that can stand as the soundtrack to his life.

Give it a listen, because it was a very good interview.

It was done in our bye week after the WC win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the Virgin lounge at Brisbane airport this morning and in walks Rog. Being trade week and all, I had to put it to him, "I hope your not going to check out another clubs training facilities"
The big fella gave me a nice pat on the back and with a chuckle said no mate, off to Sydney for Amon's birthday.
What can I say, standing next to him you realise how big a unit he is, and was so humble and just a nice fella.

Daniel Merrett End of Season Review
by Rubix WingMan

2011 review

Senior games: 22
Goals: 26
Dreamteam: 1499
Supercoach: 1695
Club Best and Fairest: 25 (=7th)

6710830531_951f937a08_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Heads or Tails? A tale of 2 roles.
434961-daniel-merrett.jpg
After Daniel Merrett’s outstanding season in 2011 was cut short by a stress fracture in the back, Lions fans were hoping they could be treated to yet another dominating year from the fullback. However, a facial injury to captain Jonathan Brown in the pre-season prompted one of the most controversial moves this year. He was quickly shifted to the forward line to cover the absence of Brown. This move raised a few eyebrows including that of AFL great Jason Dunstall and questions were asked of the forward capabilities of Merrett and the value in putting him forward.​

Fast forward to Round 1 in Season 2012, and as suspected, Merrett lined up in the forward line. At first glance, the rigours of leading, marking and kicking for goal were average at best. As the season progressed, it was painting a clearer picture of the role Merrett had to play in the team. He wasn’t in the team to help kick goals, but that would be a bonus. Leuenberger’s injury in Round 3 all but prolonged his “stint” in the forward line. His confidence grew as he regained his new partner in crime, Brown, and Merrett was leading, taking great marks, pinch-hitting in the ruck and creating contests in the forward 50. Daniel had a career-high tally of 7 goals against GWS in Round 7, including 5 goals in the first quarter. Although this performance was against the newest team on the block, this proved his worth as an all-round player who was capable of playing all over the ground. This move was further solidified by the brilliant season Matt Maguire, his partner in defence, was having, and this extended his stay even further.​

In Round 13 against the Bulldogs, Maguire was forced off the field due to an elbow injury. Merrett was enjoying being in the forward line, having kicked a flurry of goals in the first quarter. Although it wasn’t done in the prettiest of ways, Lions fans around Australia rejoiced as Merrett returned to defence, providing a strong pillar in the absence of Maguire. Merrett hovered in defence while Maguire persisted with elbow injurie. This resulted in a few switches up to the end of the season with a few stints in the ruck to aid Hudson. It took Merrett a couple of games to adjust to the different role, positioning and tactics that were used, but once it was re-discovered, there was no stopping him. He maintained his superb negating form, but has now added other dimensions to his game. His versatility for his size, speed and acceleration were vital to his roles. He flew over marks, punching the Sherrin over the boundary, and preventing his opponent from getting easy marks and goals. His biggest scalp in defence was that of Kurt Tippet in Round 21, who was kept goalless throughout the whole game to help the Lions overcome the Crows. Merrett finished the season in defence as Maguire failed to recover in time.

For his outstanding efforts this season, Merrett was awarded 5 Brownlow votes for his various performances throughout the year. He also finished 7th in the Club’s Best and Fairest with a total of 25 votes.

In retrospect, it was a strange albeit successful season for Daniel Merrett. He was Mr Fix-It for the Brisbane Lions, having to switch roles every few weeks and playing all over the ground, ranging from defence, to ruck and to forward. Some might argue that Merrett has added another string to his bow, and his stint in the forward line has given him a wealth of knowledge about the way forwards think and utilise the space. This new influx of knowledge will no doubt aid him as he runs out next year into the Lions banner, waiting for his opponent.​
GYI0060933925_crop_450x500.jpg

Merrett welcomes aggression at pre-season training
January 22, 2013
Greg Davis

"At the moment we are all over the forwards, it's good competition,'' Merrett said.

"At times it can get a bit narky and a bit aggressive but that's exactly what you want because you want to drive high standards and it's only going to make us better.

"Where our group is at, we are developing and breeding into the younger guys to be aggressive ... it's perfect.''

"I'm back in the Men's Club ... I feel most comfortable down there but it's always fun kicking a few goals. But I've played there for a majority of my career, I definitely feel that's my best spot,'' he said.

Watching the first qtr of the first Bulldogs game makes me want to see more of Merrett up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back