Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Up to 4 months out according to the Lions twitter account. Huge blow and a massive impact on his preseason training.

He will at least be back next year, not like Norths Swallow, out for 12months with a snapped Archilies.

Id expect him to be back in after round 5 or so, with Clarke/Maguire/Patfull/???? holding down the fortress until then.

He will at least be back next year, not like Norths Swallow, out for 12months with a snapped Archilies.

Id expect him to be back in after round 5 or so, with Clarke/Maguire/Patfull/???? holding down the fortress until then.

I was expecting Sauce to be up forward especially if Bronwy doesn't go around again.

I was expecting Sauce to be up forward especially if Bronwy doesn't go around again.

Depends on our offseason recruiting to, and the possibility that Maguire may not be up for another year. Confident he should be though, and from the sounds of Browns surgery, he should probably go again to.

Up to 4 months out according to the Lions twitter account. Huge blow and a massive impact on his preseason training.
4 months?? :(

Means he will miss a lot of fitness work pre-season. Hope he has a speedy recovery and that he can be 100% next year.

Great news. Should be set for round 1. Given his history of soft tissue injuries they'll have to be careful.

if only he played for a victorian club, would have recieved alot more accolades and credit for the work he's done, great swingman
:confused: No - happy that he is Lion - ;)

Re the injury/time out of the game - Fire Truck, Fire Truck, Fire Truck.

Have a speedy and full recovery Rog!

If you accept that we won't make the finals, he broke it at the best possible time (to the minute). Hopefully he is ready to go for the first training session of the new year, although I suspect not with the main group.

He should be right for round one barrign any secondary injuries during buildup. He's a senior player with a large number of preseasons under his belt and a solid fitness base so should be alright missing some of the preseason work. Much less impact than if he was a 2nd or 3rd year player lacking that solid base of work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broken ankle won't slow Merrett down
Michael Whiting
November 14, 2013

DANIEL Merrett is on track to play in round one, with rehabilitation from a broken ankle coming along well for the big Brisbane Lions full-back.

Merrett is with the rest of the Lions' playing group on a two-week altitude training camp in Arizona and has started running with the help of an anti-gravity treadmill.

He is running at 85 per cent of his 103kg body weight and expects to be at full speed soon.
276555-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath
July 26, 2013

Have noticed recently that Daniel Merrett seems to be missing half a bicep in one of his arms. What’s the deal there?
- Gray from Hawthorn, VIC

He tore it fishing in the off-season. He went up to the NT and went to throw a line in, and he’s never fished in his life, and he ended up with a torn bicep.

2013 Review - by patfullfankezz

Daniel Merrett, also known as Strawbs, Sauce, Rog and if you're an Essendon supporter, “BOOO!”. The firey redhead from the Gold Coast was mean, tough and uncompromising this year – did it pay off? Let's get into this review and find out!

2012 was a bit of a revelation for Strawbs, as we found out he made a pretty competent forward whenever Jonathan Brown (May he live forever) wasn't available, while still being the defender we need him to be. This would continue on into 2013, where opposition coaches would have no clue where the Big Sauce would be playing – would he take to the forward line or the back-line?

Like 90% of the team, Dan didn't start the year well, playing mainly in defence. Majak Daw taking his first mark and kicking his first goal on Dan in Round 4 against North probably epitomised this fact. Dan later took Daw out, in an act of aggression that he would continue in the Round 8 Essendon game against Michael Hurley. Which promptly saw him rubbed out for three games – the three games we needed him most (cheers Dan). He came back and had a great game against Geelong in Round 14, being the player who marked the ball and started our last charge towards goal, which ended with the ball in Ash McGrath's hands.

After having the game against Hawthorn in Round 15 off with soreness, he came back and played mainly as a forward for the rest of the season, kicking as least one goal per game with a season high of 3 goals in the win against St. Kilda in Round 19. He was on-track to kick a few goals against the Bulldogs in Round 22, until he broke his ankle in the third quarter, ending his 2013 campaign on a sour note.

The Big Sauce once again proved his versatility and skill in 2013, showing that he's the Lions Mr. Fix-It in both defence and up forward. He had a decent number of one-percenters (94) while also kicking a good number of goals (14.8). If there's one negative to Dan's game, it's his over-aggression, giving away a fair few frees over the year (his worst was 6 against North) plus losing 3 games to suspension. If he can channel that aggression productively, paired with his presence on the field he can become a very strong leader of this Club. Hopefully his injury won't hamper his preparation for the 2014 season, and he can come back and continue his good form.

Link

He and fellow bookend Daniel Merrett are the only senior players who will not take part in the final two-week block before the players break for Christmas holidays at the end of next week.

Merrett is also on light duties as he recovers from the broken ankle sustained in Round 22 against the Western Bulldogs.
Surgeons inserted 10 screws to fix the shattered bone, but have since taken the major screw out, leaving the veteran defender with just a serious of pins to hold the fracture together.

Merrett has begun running drills and hopes to join full training after Christmas.

And he hopes under new coach Justin Leppitsch he can settle in permanently in defence.

Former coach Michael Voss used Merrett as a replacement for Brown during his injury lay-offs of recent years and even played him alongside Brown as a back-up ruckman.

"Generally think I'm a better backman than forward, but I had to fill a role for the team last year,'' he said.

Merrett says a focus of 2014 will be finding the right balance between aggression and control after playing "grumpy'' last season.

He was suspended for three games in Round 8 following a sling tackle on Essendon's Michael Hurley.

"It's probably old age, I think I'm getting grumpy,'' he said.

"I definitely got frustrated during games. I got suspended last year (2013) and overstepped the line. I've got to keep a hold on that. I'm not playing my best footy when I'm frustrated and lose my way.''

002790-57d015fa-615e-11e3-8bef-f68fbd62ade2.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...k-daniel-merrett/story-fndv8d6r-1226803248461

Merrett will be seen as the focal point of a defence revival, with the 195cm powerhouse likely to spend less time as a makeshift forward given the Lions' developing pack of goalscoring options.
"I think we've got a few emerging forwards coming through so I've been mainly training down back,'' he said.
"I think that's my best spot in the team and where I can play at the highest level. I feel most comfortable down back where I'm controlling things.''

Remove this Banner Ad

Back