Rumour Daniel Rich open to leaving the Lions... next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Born in Brisbane, always been a Brisbane Lions supporter, family lives in Queensland. But yeah played for Vic Metro as well as Sandringham in the TAC Cup under 18 competition. Taken father son rule from Fitzroy.

Family hasn't lived in Brisbane since 1998. They live in Elwood.
True that Josh grew up a passionate Lion supporter, but was about 2 when he left Brisbane.

Family hasn't lived in Brisbane since 1999. They live in Elwood.
True that Josh grew up a passionate Lion supporter, but was about 2 when he left Brisbane.

I understood they currently lived in Queensland given that Scott Clayton is the recruiting manager for the Gold Coast Suns and Josh Clayton plays for the Brisbane Lions. But whatever the case, he's likely to feel some loyalty to the Club given his personal and family history with the Brisbane Lions / Fitzroy. That was my original point when asked which Brisbane Lions players want to stay at the Club.

I understood they currently lived in Queensland given that Scott Clayton is the recruiting manager for the Gold Coast Suns and Josh Clayton plays for the Brisbane Lions. But whatever the case, he's likely to feel some loyalty to the Club given his personal and family history with the Brisbane Lions / Fitzroy. That was my original point.

He will want to play with them as long as he can. However recruiting/list managers of most clubs around the country are Melbourne based.
I understand your point.

Any movement on this? Are the Lions any closer to securing his signature?

Can confirm my sisters hairdressers aunts son, who works closely with the janitor at the Gabbas cousin has told us that Rich will sign a 10 year deal, heavily front loaded so that years 3 to 10 he gets paid 100k a season.

I spoke to lambert today and he is confident of a few re signings before christmas or just after chrissie when they come back. I beleive richy is one of them.
Nearly 3 months since this post. Is he any closer to re-signing based on what you've heard/read?

Nearly 3 months since this post. Is he any closer to re-signing based on what you've heard/read?
Havent heard anything mate. The longer this goes inget worried. If he isnt signed by round 12 we could be in trouble.

Havent heard anything mate. The longer this goes inget worried. If he isnt signed by round 12 we could be in trouble.

The article about Zorko's imminent re-signing on the Fox Footy site also included this:

"Vice-captain Daniel Rich is out of contract at the end of 2016 but is set to re-sign soon while skipper Tom Rockliff is keen to extend despite being signed to the end of 2017."

Take it for what it is worth but there may be movement at the station.

The article about Zorko's imminent re-signing on the Fox Footy site also included this:

"Vice-captain Daniel Rich is out of contract at the end of 2016 but is set to re-sign soon while skipper Tom Rockliff is keen to extend despite being signed to the end of 2017."

Take it for what it is worth but there may be movement at the station.
The irony is i read that article.after posting haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like you've been on piss.

Collingwood will always be the biggest club in the AFL. Deal with it.

Looks like you've been on piss.

Collingwood will always be the biggest club in the AFL. Deal with it.

The club with supporters with the biggest ego's maybe. Biggest under achievers!

For a club that really doesn't deliver that often on the field their supporters seem to think an awful lot about themselves and the club. I mean if the club was half as great the supporters say it is on Big Footy they'd be heading towards four straight flags in a row.........................but they aren't..................and the Hawks are.o_O

How you deal with that is up to you.;):D

The club with supporters with the biggest ego's maybe. Biggest under achievers!

For a club that really doesn't deliver that often on the field their supporters seem to think an awful lot about themselves and the club. I mean if the club was half as great the supporters say it is on Big Footy they'd be heading towards four straight flags in a row.........................but they aren't..................and the Hawks are.o_O

How you deal with that is up to you.;):D
I just look at the 15 flags and go. Yep. we're better.

I couldn't access the article because I haven't subscribed so I apologise if there is anything telling later in the article...

He will "soon start negotiations"? Does that mean up until this point the two parties haven't even spoken about an extension? Rich is one of the very few free agents this year that would actually be worth chasing so I'd imagine his manager would be trying to hold negotiations off as long as possible.

I just look at the 15 flags and go. Yep. we're better.

Living in the past more like it. You were around when it was just black and white TV I take it.

The Hawks are doing it in the modern era in a truly national comp. VFL flags don't count.

Ever since the interstate clubs have lifted the standards the Pies have struggled, two flags in the past:eek: 26 years.

And after that you have to go back another 32 years all the way back to 1958?:confused::cool:

Premierships VFL/AFL: 15 (1902, 1903, 1910, 1917, 1919, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1936, 1953, 1958, 1990, 2010)

So two flags in the true AFL national competition. WOW........Pies are just dominating!!!!:D

AFL mate, the VFL flags mean jack s**t.
Collingwood actually won the first ever AFL premiership in 1990.

AFL premiers (1990-present)
Hawthorn - 5 (1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015)
Brisbane - 3 (2001, 2002, 2003)
Geelong - 3 (2007, 2009, 2011)
West Coast - 3 (1992, 1994, 2006)
Adelaide - 2 (1997, 1998)
Collingwood - 2 (1990, 2010)
Essendon - 2 (1993, 2000)
North Melbourne - 2 (1996, 1999)
Sydney - 2 (2005, 2012)
Carlton - 1 (1995)
Port Adelaide - 1 (2004)

And that's why they say Hawthorn are the most successful team of the modern era. Well, that and their success in the 80s but now you can say they've won more AFL premierships than anyone else and that holds more weight than them smashing other Vic teams in the 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back