Retired Daniel Rich #2 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

rich122.jpg

Summary:

Thread #1

* Scott Watters advises Freo to draft Rich (#4)
* some draft camp results (#11)
* assigned guernsey number 10 (#80)
* debut: round 1 2009 (#237)
* round 1 Rising Star nomination (#278)
* starts getting tagged (#392)
* courageous mark as he gets crunched by Chaplin (#449)
* Judd/Selwood/Rich stats (#534)
* Rising Star winner (#544)
* AFLPA best first year player (#569)
* first year stats (#586)
* 2009 review (#602)
* head clash with Merrett (#628)
* trialled at half back (#682)
* 130kg bench press (#686)
* 2010 review (#719)
* GWS target (#729)
* 50th game (#827)
* stress reaction in foot (#922)
* first game for reserves (#966)
* 2011 review (#983)
* grand final sprint (#987)
* 2012 review (#139)

Thread #2

Contract status: 2012 - 2013

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2009: 6th (41.5 votes)
2010: 8th (24.5 votes)
2011: 15th (16 votes)
2012: 2nd (32 votes)

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

Video: Jonathan Brown

"Daniel Rich has really been training the house down from an individual point of view and looking forward to a big year from him."

6415863163_2a7af58a6e.jpg

photo courtesy of stitchface

Link ....

Green nominated Daniel Rich, Ryan Harwood and James Polkinghorne as some of the early standouts on the training track.

6385740405_48ecd8b92e.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Rich to reap dividends
By Michael Whiting
2:45 PM Mon 19 Dec, 2011

Speak to a number of Lions players and Rich's name is one of the first trotted out when they're asked which player has made the biggest strides since resuming training in early November.

"I've definitely made a few inroads and gains but I want to get bigger and stronger and faster and fitter, just like everyone else," Rich said.

"It's only Christmas time and I've made inroads, so a couple of months to go before the season starts, it's good fun."

"It's been a big focus this pre-season to get fitter and stronger and have a big year," he said.

"There are a few bits and pieces I need to improve on and they've been a big focus this pre-season, working with the coaches … just the basics, the endurance, strength, simple things really have been a focus."

6507712933_863cf02a4f.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Brisbane Lions midfielder Daniel Rich ready for a big season in 2012
  • by: Laine Clark
  • December 19, 2011 6:18PM
Rich, 21, claimed he not only had second year but also third year syndrome after bursting onto the AFL scene two years ago, claiming the Rising Star award.
The low point came when his run of 59 consecutive games since his 2009 debut was snapped by a foot injury last season, sidelining him for six weeks.
But Rich saw a silver lining in the injury cloud.
"You want to contribute as much as you can to the team, but it was good in a way to take a backward step, watch a bit of footy and come back fresh going into a new season," Rich said.

danielrich.jpg

footytragic

Redden, Rich and Rockliff are not strictly inside midfielders, but are probably best defined as that at this stage – all three would be comfortable in a run and receive role though and these three players form the strongest point of Brisbane’s list.

You feel that as guys like Callum Bartlett, Claye Beams, Josh Green and Ryan Harwood develop it could potentially free some of the star trio to play a bit more in a strictly outside role, but until one or two of those guys come along it leaves the three R’s mostly in the thick of things.

6507720475_34a0b261cb.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Kick Builders

There is no doubt that Daniel Rich is one of the great long kicks in the AFL. However it's his kicking under pressure as well as his ability to control the short pass that is a concern.
Daniel Rich holds the ball on the top near the stitching which means he will not have optimum control as he guides the ball.

Rich also doesn't set his balance hand properly so under pressure he is not stable in the upper torso.

6518331949_2a5ba96f73.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Ooh, judged by the almighty "Kick Builders" :confused::confused::confused:.

Everyone's biomechanics are different. If it works for him, who cares.

Plus he has short arms, so he needs to hold the ball at the top to reduce the ball drop. :p

So we send him to 'Kick Builders' for three weeks, then straight on to 'Arm Lengtheners' afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footytragic

Rich has done very little with his football career since winning the Rising Star award in his debut year, but many are saying the penny seems to have dropped for him this pre-season. He is working much harder on the track, improving his fitness base to be much closer to where it should be at AFL level. A new, determined attitude also won’t go astray.

Another positive could be the form of Rockliff and Redden around him – Rich has copped the #1 tag most weeks for the past two years, so with more attention likely to be given to his teammates, we may see him given more freedom to step up.

6689001957_fceed84b90.jpg

Video: Tweet a Lion

@sam_dickens22
How is your pre-season going and are you looking forward to the start of the season?

Yeah, so far it's been quite enjoyable. The boys are looking good. Everyone's training really well. There's a lot of guys running PBs. I can't wait till the start of the year.

@poll_phone
Do you get sick of being tagged each week?

That's a good question. I wouldn't say I get sick of it. It's be a it easy if there was no one following you around each week. I suppose it's a bit of a compliment from the opposition teams and players and coaching staff. You've just got to take it as it comes, and it's a good challenge week in week out if you're getting tagged. So I don't look at it as a negative and try to take it as a compliment.

@SBurston_40
Why are you growing your hair and when are you going to cut it?

That's a pretty good question and I actually do not know the answer to it. There's no one reason why I'm growing my hair. I'm copping a bit of flak from the boys and I probably have to give it a trim before the season but I am going to keep it long for this year and we'll see how it goes. Maybe the next Dermott Brereton in terms of the long golden locks.

danielrich.jpg

Link ....

With a decision yet to be made whether a replacement will be made for Clark in Brisbane's leadership group, Brown said a handful such as Daniel Rich, James Polkinghorne, Jack Redden and Matthew Leuenberger were all deserving.

"The more guys you can get displaying the right behaviours is important and that's what we're starting to get at the Brisbane Lions which I thought was pretty lean for a few years," he said.

rich148.jpg

Link

Brown said the growing strength of the Lions was the number of young voices that were starting to take ownership of the team at training.

"I think we've got a number of guys that are bracketed in a similar position. Daniel Rich has had a fantastic pre-season after an injury interrupted and disappointing season last year, he's been fantastic," Brown said.

"James Polkinghorne, Jack Redden, Matthew Leuenberger: I think there's five or six guys that are really pushing up to be in that leadership position and then I think we're in a good position with a lot of veterans that are healthy and have been training, so it's probably unfair to name one person."

AFL Prospectus 2012

With the ball in his hands Rich is the most damaging of any Lion midfielder. Of his disposal count in 2011, 31% were involved in a scoring chain - ranked 18th in the competition of the permanent midfielders. We just need him to lift that 19 disposals per game to around the 23-25 mark.

Link ....

PLAYERS and supporters are set for a treat during the Brisbane Lions Community Camp in Bundaberg tomorrow.

Former rising star Daniel Rich was originally named in the touring party but Brothers Bulldogs AFL Club vice-president Mark Mason, who is coordinating the day, said that he had unfortunately succumbed to an ankle injury.

6710846413_a6cdef6374.jpg

Lions.com.au

Rich has a stress reaction in the same foot that cost him six matches on the sidelines last season, and despite missing the past two weeks of training, Harvey said he was running again and would play in the NAB Cup.

Not ideal that that foot is giving him trouble again. At least they caught it early this time before it got too bad.

Brisbane Lions midfielder Daniel Rich declares himself certain starter for round 1 of AFL season
  • by: Greg Davis
  • February 16, 2012 12:00AM
While his teammates went toe-to-toe in steamy conditions, Rich participated in boxing and stationary handball drills.
The leaner looking Subiaco junior has trained the house down over summer and is set to kick a ball in anger for the first time on March 10 when Brisbane takes on Carlton at Maroochydore in round 3 of the pre-season competition.
"It's all good. I'll start running again next week," Rich said.
"It's just a precaution. I'll be right".

6881003801_4b253a042a.jpg

Michael Voss

Voss said resting Daniel Rich from the match was a precautionary measure only.

Rich has a stress reaction in the same foot that sidelined him for six games last season.

"We're being fairly cautious there because we have no reason to accelerate him," Voss said.

"He's completed a full pre-season, he's in as good a condition as I've seen him. We're just being ultra cautious and that makes it ultra frustrating for him because I can guarantee you he wants to play right now, he thinks he's ready to go.

"It's on the minor end of the scale. The first game he'll play, baring any hiccups, will be round three of the NAB Cup."

6693860019_4db9fe9b80.jpg

Probably more so before Christmas, but I've seen Rich doing extra solo sessions at my local school oval. Hope this injury doesn't hinder his fitness base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back