Retired Daniel Rich #2 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Daniel might just break out in a big big way next year. As Roo says he needs to work harder on his defensive side and running but the great thing is we all know what serious ability he has. Enhance that natural ability with a bit of hard work and you've got a genuine superstar.

That was what happened last year and he came 2nd in the B&F. Has he lost fitness this year?

even before his shoulder injury he was in arguably his worse form ever. He couldn't get near it!
Yeh absolutly correct, we were all saying he needs to break the heavy tag prior to his injury or make an impact. Like others have said and also the media have touched on the main tag he now cops, I also agree he needs to find elite fitness to allow him to run hard all game. I think he also needs to develop new avaisive skills in order for him to get the jump on his tagger. You can only do this if you are on the move at the right times and not stationary, he needs to be mobile and get himself in a position where he can access a point of attack on the ball. Search for a point of entry, he seems to be stationary at the stoppages for example a fair bit , where as the elite mids seem to evade the shirt tugging tags because they have the strength and the side stepping evaisive skills and endurance to do this . eg. Ablett, Swan, Pendles. I 'd be dissapointed if he never makes it to be as damaging as these elite mids, He's got the build and the skills , just maybe needs 1 or 2 years for everything to happen.
I really think he is a victim of being in a team where at present apart from an aging Black,( hasn't Played much this year), he actually doesn't have any star mid fielders to work with.imo.
Is he good enough to cop the main tag , Not sure on that one as yet, I really think we need a fair dinkum Elite mid to come into this side and maybe then we will see the Riches and the other mids flourish .

Rich: Quality over quantity
3 August 2013
Dean Bilton

Ever since a sparkling debut season, Daniel Rich has been attracting opposition attention. A damaging left boot combined with a strong ability to find the footy has made him one of Brisbane’s most potent attacking weapons, and nowadays most of his opponents will stop at nothing to try and shut him down.

Faced with experienced Saints stopper Clint Jones on Saturday night, Rich turned on a blisteringly effective first half. His 11 disposals to half time paled in comparison to the likes of Rockliff and Hanley, but his influence was just as significant.

First, there were the goals. Three of them in fact, each of them spectacular bombs from well outside 50, and from what would only be considered half chances for most players. Further to that, he amassed four clearances and five inside 50s, all the while operating at around an 82% disposal efficiency rate. Whenever he got his hands on the ball, he made something happen.

Rich is still a young and developing footballer, but more importantly is a mature and team-driven one too, and he says he has no problem with sacrificing his own game for his teammates. Rich says he is developing a real hunger for the contest, and is beginning to enjoy pitting himself against his direct opponent each week.

Fortunately for Rich, there is no shortage of midfield champions at the club for him to learn from, and he believes that the wisdom imparted by three Brownlow medallists is proving invaluable. “Obviously Vossy is a great sounding board. Guys like him, our midfield coach Shane Woewodin and Blacky have all been through it before, so they are great to bounce things off and they all have a few tricks here and there.”

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

3. Rich learning to ditch the taggers

He's developing into the Lions' most lethal player, but Daniel Rich has been shut down too many times this season when being sat on by opposition taggers. From a paltry eight touches in the opening round against the Bulldogs' Nick Lower to a largely ineffective 14 against Port's Kane Cornes last week, it's become a worrying trend. With Simon Black (groin) and Brent Moloney (soreness) still missing, Rich was the man in the sights of St Kilda's Clint Jones, but the Lions' blonde bomber responded in style. Three thumping goals from outside 55m highlighted his first half explosion, and despite being quieter in the second half, the damage was done and Rich finished with 19 disposals to be one of the game's most influential players.​

The first goal is a good example of what we need to do with Richy. Give him a perfect handball on the run and then put your shoulder into his tagger.

Great stuff by Hanley.

Not sure if this is an accurate photo of Rich on the weekend, but it looks about right:
View attachment 25743

sho2xface.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From rags to top 20 Riches
August 12, 2013
Adam McNicol

BRISBANE Lions midfielder Daniel Rich has moved into the top 20 in the Official AFL Player Ratings, brought to you by Vero, for the first time in his career after an impressive showing against Richmond.
Rich tallied 11 contested possessions, five inside-50s and five clearances in the Lions' 23-point loss to the Tigers at the MCG on Saturday.
His performance equated to 19.2 player ratings points and saw him rise from 22nd to 18th on the table.
Rich, who was 76th on the ratings table after round 12, has enjoyed a rapid rise since then, largely thanks to his lethal left boot.
Although he only averages 18.6 disposals per game, he is fourth in the competition for metres gained per kick this season.
298181-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The Western Bulldogs game last year was his career best game where he had maybe 24-25 disposals kicked 4 goals and had alot of score involvements. I would say if Rich could get around the 22-24 mark and kick a goal a game next year it would be close to AA contention. And i think it's possible aswell. Rich and Redden will hit the 100 game mark next year with Rockliff closely following so anything is possible.

From rags to top 20 Riches
August 12, 2013
Adam McNicol
The player ratings are a bit hit & miss for mine.

Rich being 18, Rockliff at 66, Zorko sitting at 52, then you have Redden and Hanley at 39 & 40 respectively as well.

But the big one is Leuenberger, arguably a top 5 ruckman in the comp when healthy, sitting all the way back at rank 19 in the rucks and 291 overall.

Zac Clarke, Trent West, Ben Hudson, Mike Pyke, Bellchambers, Jolly, Hale, Giles, Jacobs, Kreuzer, Ryder, McEvoy - Are all higher then Leuenberger.

The player ratings are a bit hit & miss for mine.

Rich being 18, Rockliff at 66, Zorko sitting at 52, then you have Redden and Hanley at 39 & 40 respectively as well.

But the big one is Leuenberger, arguably a top 5 ruckman in the comp when healthy, sitting all the way back at rank 19 in the rucks and 291 overall.

Zac Clarke, Trent West, Ben Hudson, Mike Pyke, Bellchambers, Jolly, Hale, Giles, Jacobs, Kreuzer, Ryder, McEvoy - Are all higher then Leuenberger.

You're doing it wrong. You pick out the rankings that support your stuff. Ignore the ones that don't. Treat them like SC scores. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back