Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Brisbane Lions knee victim Daniel Rich wants to be ready for Round 1, 2015

BRISBANE Lions star Daniel Rich has two important deadlines to meet on the gruelling comeback trail from his knee reconstruction.

The 23-year-old is desperate to play in Round 1, 2015. He is also keen to get his right knee in good enough working order to complete his bridal waltz duties on his wedding day in October.Rich will go under the knife in Melbourne on Thursday after rupturing his ACL in the second quarter of last Saturday’s loss to the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

He will have the traditional reconstructive surgery which could sideline him for up to 12 months but the midfielder is aiming to bounce back quicker than that. “I’m looking to play in Round 1 next year. That’s the goal,’’ he said. “I want to try and push the boundaries and try to improve a little bit every day.
“I’m facing it like it is a day-to-day challenge and I’ll be doing everything I can to get the knee right.’’

Rich is surprisingly upbeat and positive for a young man who has had his entire season wiped out by a brutal injury that tests the toughest athletes both physically and mentally on the long road to recovery. “I got my ahead around it pretty quickly,’’ Rich said. “I heard a clicking noise when it happened and I knew I was in trouble. It was pretty sore straight away.

“The physios and doctors were pretty certain it was the ACL straight away so the scans just confirmed what we pretty much knew already. “The support of my fiancee Lauren, the club and the supporters has been terrific. There’s been no shortage of well-wishes, which has helped boost my spirits. “I’ve spoken to a few of the boys who have done their knees and they have passed on a few useful tips too. “It will suck at the beginning when I can’t move much at all but I won’t leave any stone unturned to get it right once I can get a bit mobile.’’

An avid surfer and golfer, Rich will stay heavily involved with Brisbane’s leadership group as well as helping to develop the club’s young cubs. He also plans to “sharpen up’’ some things outside of football and “live and learn’’. “I don’t normally dance but I’ll be right for the wedding,’’ he said.

It blows, but I've no doubt Rich will be the consummate professional in his rehabilitation.

The AFL is toying with the idea of a later start to the season next year right? Might help him get up for round 1.

Wasn't this year an earlier start? So back to normal do they mean?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The Great Kicking Debate

FOX FOOTY’S League Teams is asking, which player is the best kick in the league?

So too does the Lions rising star Daniel Rich. Since arriving in the league in 2008, it didn’t take long for Rich to become renowned for having a booming left boot. For Lions fans there are few more exciting sights than seeing the young star unleashing a shot at goal from well inside the Gabba centre square.

DANIEL RICH - A booming left-foot kick, Rich has similar kicking genetics to Suckling. Struck down by a terrible knee injury early this season, Rich kicked at 72 per cent in his 16 games last year. He also managed to hit the scoreboard 22 times, kicking 13 goals. Rich has had a good tutor in former midfield accomplice and fellow lefty, Simon Black. Black was a supreme user through the Lions midfield throughout their period of dominance and the club will be hoping Rich can continue his ascendancy to a similar role when he returns next season.

943927-4e430fcc-eaef-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

Richy, McStay and Lester attended a WA supporters gig Friday. Richy was over for the week on a refresher to see the family and such.

Said he's very happy with the knee's progress, told he's back into jogging from next week or the one after (also said Trent West's knee was more severe than his). The docs are happy with progress and he anticipates a full pre-season and a round 1 jump.

Asked about the F.O. Five from last year and he kinda shrugged and said that it was a bit of Group Think lead by a couple main culprits - he wouldn't name who. I asked if Polec and Yeo doing well meant anything and he said there's lots of players from other teams doing well (i.e. who cares? Not our problem anymore).

Lastly asked about Browny and Richy says he has 'no idea' but thinks knowing Browny he'll play out the year. I said I think he'll at least play one in Melbourne and one at the Gabba as farewell games but Richy said Browny is an 'all or nothing' guy. If he says he's playing, he'll play every game that he physically can.

Richy says we're too young as a team to do damage, but said to look at the Cats in 02-03, all the names from the first couple flags were there, but they were just too young to do damage v the more experienced teams. Our core is all young enough that when we're ready, we should be OK.

My son asked for him to sign a couple footy cards (they're huge in WA), he said he hadn't even seen a couple. I asked that as a young kid growing up surely the dream would be to one day have a card with his mug on it, he said a long time ago, but now he doesn't even notice. My son reminded him of the Lego man Richy and he said he had one but gave it away.

Great bloke. Get the feeling he's only just started coming around to the fraternising with fans thing (just think he's a quiet type not arrogant or anything), but he never shied away or hid from anyone - not that there were many there - and he and the other boys hung around for longer than they were expected.

Wore his jeans half way down his arse though. Could fix that up.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
:eek:...doesn't sound a good idea now you mention it....am visualizing some of the old boxes at some grounds. Hadn't thought of what type of box they might be in.

Good lord, keep him safe! (if you really are there)..cos the footy gods couldn't care less!

Ain't fun watching a player rehabbing from a knee reco climb the ladder into the old coach's box at Giffin Park.

pfft browny was climbing up and down in a moon boot during pre season, he'll be right ;)

maybe they should re-hire the cherry picker again and get him up there that way.

:eek:...doesn't sound a good idea now you mention it....am visualizing some of the old boxes at some grounds. Hadn't thought of what type of box they might be in.

Good lord, keep him safe! (if you really are there)..cos the footy gods couldn't care less!

if you picture the oldest one you can remember MacMum then that's what he'll be climbing up into. Only the best at coorparoo!

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our best midfield next year contains Rich, Rockliff, Redden, Hanley, Zorko and Martin as the ruck imo.

With Hanley and Rocky's current form the last few weeks, will Rich be free to roam by himself a bit more? I mean, your not going to go out and put hard tags on 3 opposition midfielders.

Either way, Rich will have a lot more support next year. Rockliff, Redden, Hanley and Zorko have all improved this year. And with the quality youngster's we've got developing, I'm positive he is going to start playing some bloody good footy.

One of the little thrills I got for hanging around for the Ressies game on the weekend to see Richy moving freely back from the quarter time huddle to the coach's box. Can't wait to see him back and firing next year.

Back