Retired Daniel Rich #2 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best midfield next year contains Rich, Rockliff, Redden, Hanley, Zorko and Martin as the ruck imo.

With Hanley and Rocky's current form the last few weeks, will Rich be free to roam by himself a bit more? I mean, your not going to go out and put hard tags on 3 opposition midfielders.

Either way, Rich will have a lot more support next year. Rockliff, Redden, Hanley and Zorko have all improved this year. And with the quality youngster's we've got developing, I'm positive he is going to start playing some bloody good footy.

Can probably add Beams to that list now.

But another interesting question will be where does Rich play in 2015? Seen a couple of people that seem to think he'll spend the majority of his time on a back flank. Personally I hope that isn't the case. I hope he spends the majority of his time in the middle and switched down back to break tags. Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Beams and Hanley along with Martin/Leuy rucking should be bloody good.

He really needs to have a big year imo.

He almost seems like a new recruit.

Really hope his leg holds up this season. I'm not expecting miracles in 2015, but getting through this season and confidence in his leg should be a good launching pad for thereafter.

Internal recruits: The players who will return from long-term injuries in 2015

If you thought Dayne Beams and Allen Christensen were the only players to bolster Brisbane’s midfield next year, think again. Daniel Rich, who won the 2009 Rising Star award, ruptured the ACL in his right knee during the Lions’ Round 3 clash against Gold Coast, ruling him out for the rest of the season. But the classy left-footer will be a welcome addition to the club’s promising midfield.

078188-8a57d028-6264-11e4-bdd3-73a977145716.jpg

I won't be expecting too much from Richy for most of the season....he will no doubt be very tentative for a while....but look out when he is confident again!:D

Backing him in for a big year personally. If he starts breaking tags and Rockliff, Hanley, Beams and co stay injury free. We'll make finals.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the tag...we have so many options now, it's ridiculous! :D

Rich is still our most damaging midfielder forward of centre; can drill one from 65m or hit a forward lace out. But if you tag Rich, there's Hanley and Zorko who can be deployed as the run & gun midfielders to break lines.

Then there's Rockliff and Beams who are more accumulators who are both able to drift forward and kick goals. Redden and Robinson will provide the grunt work. O'Brien and Lester can rotate through the middle as needed.

Christensen and Mayes are different again, with skills and the smarts to finish off work further up the ground. Paparone too.

Aish and Taylor should be huge beneficiaries development wise...potentially the 10th and 11th midfielders looked at when teams do their homework on us during the week. Usually 2 x top 10 draft picks (I know the latter wasn't but he's proved it was an error) are thrown in the deep end at weaker clubs, which to some degree they were last season; but now they can learn from some top notch talent and play their roles with minimal pressure.

Hoping they stay injury free next season; it'll be great to watch them all :thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-07/rich-ready-to-go
DANIEL Rich's goal of playing in round one next year appears on track with the Brisbane Lions midfielder set to start the pre-season with his teammates.

The 24-year-old hasn't played since he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in round three this season against Gold Coast.

He underwent a traditional reconstruction in April, which came with the standard 12 months of rehabilitation, and started running in July.

He set the goal of returning for the Lions in the opening round of 2015 - which is on April 4 against Collingwood - and will give himself the best chance of achieving that when he starts summer training later this month.

"I'm pretty much ready to go with the boys," Rich told radio station SEN on Friday morning.

"The young boys started back on Wednesday but I've been pretty much training the whole way through the break, a little bit modified here and there, but I'm pretty much ready to go for day one of pre-season and feeling pretty good.

"I'm feeling pretty fresh, almost like it's my first year again having sat out the whole of last year, so I'm pretty excited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like a new recruit: Your club's bonus players in 2015

Daniel Rich
The classy midfielder ruptured his ACL in round three, leaving a gaping hole in the Lions' structure. Coach Justin Leppitsch was using Rich and his penetrating left boot off a half-back flank to launch the Lions' counter-attack. Once he went down, they struggled to find a replacement. But with Rich already back into full running training, and an off-season recruiting spree that netted Dayne Beams and Allen Christensen, the former Rising Star winner will again be freed up to orchestrate play from the back half.

Rockliff named Captain

Tom Rockliff has been named as the new Captain of the Brisbane Lions Football Club.

Rockliff, 24, was announced as Captain today by Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch, after a selection process involving players, coaches, physical performance staff and the Club executive.

His elevation to the captaincy was ratified by the Club’s Board last night and the playing group were informed this morning.

Daniel Rich, Pearce Hanley and Dayne Zorko were also named as Vice-Captains.

Rich ready to roll for NAB Challenge

KEEN to make up for lost time, Brisbane Lions' deputy Daniel Rich says he wants to play every NAB Challenge match in his comeback from a serious knee injury.

In another boost for the revitalised Lions, Rich has hit the ground running at pre-season training after recovering from a ruptured ACL suffered in round three last year.

And Rich has already put his hand up for the NAB Challenge campaign that starts with a February 28 clash against St Kilda on the Sunshine Coast.

355986-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Daniel Rich shows he will add new dimension to Brisbane Lions as counter-attack architect

DANIEL Rich made a successful return for Brisbane after a year-long absence with a knee injury on the weekend and showed he will add a new dimension to the Lions as the architect of their counter-attack.

Rich was thrilled with his return against the Saints at Burpengary but the elation was tempered a little by season-ending knee injuries to West Coast’s Eric Mackenzie and Bulldogs’ Tom Liberatore, both reigning club champions, over the first round of the NAB Challenge.

799751-d381404c-bffa-11e4-83e4-6c2c60814a51.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back