Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Firstly I apologize if someone has picked this up a while ago as it is somwhat old news. I was arguing on bombertalk when I stumbled across an obvious fact that I cannot remember anyone else mentioning.

We all know that Bruce Reid wrote the following letter in January 2012:

Dear James/Paul

I have some fundamental problems being club doctor at present. This particularly applies to the administration of supplements. 
Although we have been giving supplements for approximately three months, despite repeated requests as to exactly what we are giving our players and the literature related to this, have at no time been given that until last Sunday [15 January 2012]. Last week the players were given subcutaneous injections, not by myself, and I had no idea that this was happening and also what drug was involved.

It appears to me that in Sydney with Rugby League the clubs do not answer to the governing body (e.g. A.F.L.). It seems that their whole culture is based on trying to beat the system as are close to the edge as one can. It is my belief in A.F.L. that we should be winning flags by keeping a drug free culture.

It is all very well to say this is not banned and that is not banned but for example, the injection that we have given our players subcutaneously, was a drug called AOD/9604, is an Oligomeric Peptide. This drug is derived from the growth hormone.

This molecule has been constructed so it has removed what we call IGF1, which is part of the growth hormone that causes muscle and organ growth and bone length and photosynthesis.

It is at the moment used for fat metabolism but also bone strength in children and may have some side effects that may be beneficial in bone growth. This to me just seem ludicrous at this stage where the only trials I have got are on how to lost weight and fat around the abdomen.

If we are resorting to deliver this altered growth hormone molecule, I think we are playing at the edge and this will read extremely badly in the press for our club and for the benefits and also for side effects that are not known in the long term, I have trouble with all these drugs.

I am still not sure whether AOD/9604 is approved by the drug authorities in Australia at this stage. Just because it is not classified as illegal, doesn’t mean that it can be used freely in the community, it cannot. The other interesting thing about AOD/9604, is that its market in America is in body builders. This also should raise a red flag if we are worried about perception.

When it comes to Actovegin, this has been used around the world for many years. There is some flimsy evidence that it may help in speeding up the healing of tendons when they are damaged, though after speaking to radiologists, the recent opinion is that platelets and one’s own blood, probably does a better job.

We are claiming that we should use it as a recovery agent. To me it seems ludicrous that a few mls of calf’s blood spun down, is going to give you a concentration of growth factors and other factors that would speed up recovery.

I am very frustrated by this and now feel I am letting the club down by not automatically approving of these things. I need to collect my thoughts as these drugs have been given without my knowledge.

I am sure Steve Danks believes that what we are doing is totally ethical and legal, however, one wonders whether if you take a long stance and look at this from a distance, whether you would want your children being injected with a derivative hormone that is not free to the community and whether calf’s blood, that has been used for many years and is still doubted by most doctors, is worth pursuing.

Kind Regards
Dr. Bruce Reid
M.B.B.S.

Senior Medical Officer

We also know that Dank "checked" with WADA on the status of AOD.

February 2, 2012. Dank to Mazzoni: "Good evening Irene. I'm hoping to obtain confirmation on a poly-peptide, AOD-9604.

Mazzoni: "Dear Steve. As I mentioned during our telephone conversation, you should contact your national anti-doping organisation, (in this case, ASADA) ... as certain drug preparations may differ between countries. Such seems to be the case with AOD-9604.

"Please be aware that there is a section in the prohibited list ... that deals with non-approved substances. Therefore, even if the substance or similar substances do not appear listed, it does not automatically mean the substance is permitted.

Dank: "Thank you for your reply and confirmation that the product or any related product does not appear on the prohibited list.

Mazzoni: "I could not find that it had been approved by any government regulatory health authority. That's why I say to contact ASADA to check its status in Australia."

So we know that Dank was using AOD extensively at Essendon way BEFORE he "checked" with WADA.

So why did he "check" AFTER he had used it? Clearly he was trying to get evidence that he had checked with someone. He didn't envisage a letter would be written that mentioned he had already been using it, dated and all. What if they told him it was banned??? It was already too late!!!

This is yet another example that exposes this guy for the liar that he is.

Apologies if this had been noted earlier and I don't mind if the mods remove it if this is so.

Firstly I apologize if someone has picked this up a while ago as it is somwhat old news. I was arguing on bombertalk when I stumbled across an obvious fact that I cannot remember anyone else mentioning.

Dear James/Paul

I have some fundamental problems being club doctor at present. This particularly applies to the administration of supplements. 
Although we have been giving supplements for approximately three months, despite repeated requests as to exactly what we are giving our players and the literature related to this, have at no time been given that until last Sunday [15 January 2012]. Last week the players were given subcutaneous injections, not by myself, and I had no idea that this was happening and also what drug was involved.

It appears to me that in Sydney with Rugby League the clubs do not answer to the governing body (e.g. A.F.L.). It seems that their whole culture is based on trying to beat the system as are close to the edge as one can. It is my belief in A.F.L. that we should be winning flags by keeping a drug free culture.

It is all very well to say this is not banned and that is not banned but for example, the injection that we have given our players subcutaneously, was a drug called AOD/9604, is an Oligomeric Peptide. This drug is derived from the growth hormone.

This molecule has been constructed so it has removed what we call IGF1, which is part of the growth hormone that causes muscle and organ growth and bone length and photosynthesis.

It is at the moment used for fat metabolism but also bone strength in children and may have some side effects that may be beneficial in bone growth. This to me just seem ludicrous at this stage where the only trials I have got are on how to lost weight and fat around the abdomen.

If we are resorting to deliver this altered growth hormone molecule, I think we are playing at the edge and this will read extremely badly in the press for our club and for the benefits and also for side effects that are not known in the long term, I have trouble with all these drugs.

I am still not sure whether AOD/9604 is approved by the drug authorities in Australia at this stage. Just because it is not classified as illegal, doesn’t mean that it can be used freely in the community, it cannot. The other interesting thing about AOD/9604, is that its market in America is in body builders. This also should raise a red flag if we are worried about perception.

When it comes to Actovegin, this has been used around the world for many years. There is some flimsy evidence that it may help in speeding up the healing of tendons when they are damaged, though after speaking to radiologists, the recent opinion is that platelets and one’s own blood, probably does a better job.

We are claiming that we should use it as a recovery agent. To me it seems ludicrous that a few mls of calf’s blood spun down, is going to give you a concentration of growth factors and other factors that would speed up recovery.

I am very frustrated by this and now feel I am letting the club down by not automatically approving of these things. I need to collect my thoughts as these drugs have been given without my knowledge.

I am sure Steve Danks believes that what we are doing is totally ethical and legal, however, one wonders whether if you take a long stance and look at this from a distance, whether you would want your children being injected with a derivative hormone that is not free to the community and whether calf’s blood, that has been used for many years and is still doubted by most doctors, is worth pursuing.

Kind Regards
Dr. Bruce Reid
M.B.B.S.

Senior Medical Officer

February 2, 2012. Dank to Mazzoni: "Good evening Irene. I'm hoping to obtain confirmation on a poly-peptide, AOD-9604.

Mazzoni: "Dear Steve. As I mentioned during our telephone conversation, you should contact your national anti-doping organisation, (in this case, ASADA) ... as certain drug preparations may differ between countries. Such seems to be the case with AOD-9604.

"Please be aware that there is a section in the prohibited list ... that deals with non-approved substances. Therefore, even if the substance or similar substances do not appear listed, it does not automatically mean the substance is permitted.

Dank: "Thank you for your reply and confirmation that the product or any related product does not appear on the prohibited list.

Mazzoni: "I could not find that it had been approved by any government regulatory health authority. That's why I say to contact ASADA to check its status in Australia."

So we know that Dank was using AOD extensively at Essendon way BEFORE he "checked" with WADA.

So why did he "check" AFTER he had used it? Clearly he was trying to get evidence that he had checked with someone. He didn't envisage a letter would be written that mentioned he had already been using it, dated and all. What if they told him it was banned??? It was already too late!!!

Apologies if this had been noted earlier and I don't mind if the mods remove it if this is so.
Where do the consent forms fit on this timeline? Wasn't that early February 2012? Maybe he was doing it because the players were worried about it (as they have claimed) and he needed some 'proof' it was legal.

Dear James/Paul

Kind Regards
Dr. Bruce Reid
M.B.B.S.

Senior Medical Officer

734b3tm.gif

Where do the consent forms fit on this timeline? Wasn't that early February 2012? Maybe he was doing it because the players were worried about it (as they have claimed) and he needed some 'proof' it was legal.
Good point too. However he emails an organization which isn't there to be questioned about specific substances. They tell him this and ask him to contact ASADA. Yet we have no evidence he did that for ANY of the substances.

• 2012.02.08 - at a meeting of players of the Club, Dank introduced four substances
    that were purportedly approved for use in accordance with the Protocol, namely:
    AOD-9604; Thymosin; Colostrum; and Tribulus. Following that meeting, 38 players at the Club signed “Patient Information/Informed Consent” forms in relation to these four substances.
Consent forms too little to late players were already shocked by the numbers of injections.

My understanding was that Dr Reid only approved 2 substances not 4, and was "present" when his approved protocols were breached.

We all know that Bruce Reid wrote .....

I'd sugest Dank was being compelled / forced to think about covering his backside because of Reids concerns going to Hird and possibly others.

To me it suggests that Hird was well aware and an active player in what was happening and had followed up on Reid's veiled threat that this could go public and look very bad. Dank and Hird didn't stop ... they just started to think about covering their arses.

Who else could get Dank to act in any way other than the couldn't care less / I know better than anyone else attitude?

Good point too. However he emails an organization which isn't there to be questioned about specific substances. They tell him this and ask him to contact ASADA. Yet we have no evidence he did that for ANY of the substances.
That email conversation is so weird, though. Maybe he just didn't know how the system worked, which seems unlikely. Perhaps he wanted to be able to say to someone with a straight face that he 'had checked and it's not on a prohibited list'?

I find it equally strange that Dr Reid didn't do any homework himself considering he was so worried.

That email conversation is so weird, though. Maybe he just didn't know how the system worked, which seems unlikely. Perhaps he wanted to be able to say to someone with a straight face that he 'had checked and it's not on a prohibited list'?

I find it equally strange that Dr Reid didn't do any homework himself considering he was so worried.
He seems to have taken what Dank said as gospel. You can see it when he says "It is all very well to say this is not banned and that is not banned", so he believed him without questioning him....

Supplier: "AOD is prohibited in your country."

Dank: "AOD is A OK? Good to know."

What an idiot.

Dank: "Don't worry Jobe, this is approved somewhere in the world."

Jobe: "Sounds good enough for me, Danksy, stick it in!"

It's incredibly strange unless either:

a) he's an incompetent git who should never have been responsible for the health of athletes
b) he knew, like Dank did, that it was a banned substance

Dank got what he wanted someone to say it wasn't on the prohibited list. Unfortunately the follow up wasn't quite what he wanted.

Anyone can call a government call center and find someone appropriately naive that gives you the answer that most suits you or in a travel center that gives you the cheapest quote.

Basically the WADA code avoids this by saying it's absolute and overrides any other advice from another institution (strangely for AOD9604 this has not been followed through but why would it be prosecuted by ASADA as it has the potential to get them sued).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems to have taken what Dank said as gospel. You can see it when he says "It is all very well to say this is not banned and that is not banned", so he believed him without questioning him....
And yet the checking of Tribulus early on with the AFL, the tone of the letter with regards to the veracity of the treatments suggest that Reid was very doubtful of the benefits. There was an interview with one of the Essendon players when he was getting injected in the back (Lovett-Murray?) and Reid was present and apparently poo-pooing the whole process. Reid seemed to look at Dank and his methods like he was giving the players homeopathic treatments, yet he was resigned to sit back and let it happen. Even if these treatments were safe, surely there is a point where you step in if you think the process is going to be ineffective. Being sidelined can be a disheartening experience, but for a doctor it is almost unforgivable.

Dear James/Paul

Kind Regards
Dr. Bruce Reid
M.B.B.S.

Senior Medical Officer

I picked that up at the time but its certainly worth revisiting.

Reid was used to treating illness and injury.

And was for some reason incapable of checking out the drugs that the players under his care were being injected with. That was his job and he didn't do it, either because he was not capable (incompetent) or because he was in on the cheating program.

AT, you've gone all feral over at BT. Not sure I'm loving that side of you I must say.
Unfortunately it is the only language they understand there Jenny. I feel awkward using it but in most posts they personally attack me and the mods do nothing.
As they say, if you can't beat them, join them.

Unfortunately it is the only language they understand there Jenny. I feel awkward using it but in most posts they personally attack me and the mods do nothing.
As they say, if you can't beat them, join them.
Yeah nah. It's not worth it.

Yeah nah. It's not worth it.
It's amazing how quickly you build up a thick skin though. I could never behave like that here or anywhere else! They are like a pack of wolves and boncer enjoys seeing one against many.

Edit. He shut down my thread for little reason and has allowed a thread on me to go unmoderated.

It's amazing how quickly you build up a thick skin though. I could never behave like that here or anywhere else! They are like a pack of wolves and boncer enjoys seeing one against many.

Edit. He shut down my thread for little reason and has allowed a thread on me to go unmoderated.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back