Remove this Banner Ad

IschenkoUBeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
G'day Lions board.

Was flicking through some Lions footage from the 2000s last night and this man stood out and reminded me of why he used to be one of my favourite Lions players to watch. Good lead, great hands, great kick. A match-winning forward.

The 2009 elimination final where he dominated the final quarter kicking goals from everywhere was something else...especially that goal from deep in the pocket.

Collingwood supporters bleed about not having player x or player y in the 2002 GF to justify losing it, but Bradshaw never played that day either...

Deserved to be a three time premiership player and without turning it into another "he shouldn't have been treated that way" thread (it's been done to death), deserved to play out his career at the one club.

Was just reading that in his last two years with the Lions, he kicked 75 goals in 2008 and 58 in 2009. Not bad for a bloke with shot knees. And in his nine games with the Swans, he kicked 28 goals...again a fantastic return given his injury issues at that time.

The Lions were well and truly spoilt for forwards back in their early 2000s glory years - Lynch, Brown and Bradshaw. And in the latter part of his Lions career, he and Jono Brown won several games together for the Lions.

Is he under-appreciated and not given the kudos he deserves given he was never a huge media personality? Do Lions fans share the same appreciation for his contribution as I do?

Cheers

You'll find (I think) he is universally loved by Lions fans (how could he not).
Possibly under-appreciated, much the same way as Joel Patfull. Both quiet achievers, without hype and not huge public personalities. Both "nice" guys who just went about their business.
For mine, Braddy never quite made it to Brown like status due to a few factors; He could be very hot or cold. There were many times where he was was either "on" or "off" his game, either clunking or spilling everything. Rarely was he just consistently average throughout a game.
Due to versatility and other circumstances, he often found himself playing down back. You could obviously count this as a plus, but we all know the general footy public see forwards as the stars of the show.
The other big factor in how his career is looked back upon, is the amount of time he missed through injury. In and out of the side, often regaining form when he played.
So again, possibly under-appreciated, but not necessarily deserving of more kudos than most are prepared to give.
Saw him at our NAB Challenge game a few weeks ago and I certainly had the feeling of awe & pride of having one of our champions hanging around the club. It was great to see him back.

And who can forget his game against Port in 2008 when we were 47 points down at halftime and went on to win by 20 points.

Very much loved player by all Lions fans, the ultimate swingman who was equally effective at either end of the ground much like Lynch was in his day.

My younger son's first really clear footy memory was Bradshaw in the 2009 elimination final. Especially that goal from the pocket. When he was first able to go onto the Gabba for a kick after a game, my son went straight to that spot to stand there and look at the angle. He was too little to kick anywhere near that far...but he had a crack at it anyway.

Bradshaw will always be a Lion and my son will always be a Lions supporter.

Remember him swinging down back and destroying Tarrant during the game with the white Fitzroy monogram jumpers. Don't remember which year but that was a damn good day.

And who can forget his game against Port in 2008 when we were 47 points down at halftime and went on to win by 20 points.

Very much loved player by all Lions fans, the ultimate swingman who was equally effective at either end of the ground much like Lynch was in his day.
It was more like 47 points at 3 quarter time I reckon

There was some acrimony when he left.

When he worked on SEN last year, Voss didn't openly acknowledge many errors in his coaching career, but said he did say he still felt torn up about the Bradshaw situation.

Not sure if Voss and Bradshaw have mended any bridges, but Braddy was certainly back at the club a few weeks ago with his son - potential Father/son.

There aren't many people left at the club that would have part of that decision. Possibly GO'D?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back