Dannyle Pearce's kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
none
I have watched Dannyle closely at training and he has the most beautiful kick. Can kick a beautiful long goal or pinpoint passing. But so many times I've seen him just butcher the ball with deplorable kicking. Quite often he doesn't drop the ball onto his foot straight and clean and it's just shanked. He needs to concentrate more because when he does,he actually has a beautiful kick and that's why it frustrates me so much when I see him shank it. I like Pearce as a player and he's been a very good pick up but if he could be consistent with his kicking,he would be a much better player. What do people here think?

I have watched Dannyle closely at training and he has the most beautiful kick. Can kick a beautiful long goal or pinpoint passing. But so many times I've seen him just butcher the ball with deplorable kicking. Quite often he doesn't drop the ball onto his foot straight and clean and it's just shanked. He needs to concentrate more because when he does,he actually has a beautiful kick and that's why it frustrates me so much when I see him shank it. I like Pearce as a player and he's been a very good pick up but if he could be consistent with his kicking,he would be a much better player. What do people here think?
People have been saying that about him for years, it's not going to improve, otherwise it would of by now. Hes a good frustrating player, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I think it's a bit past wanting anything more than what we're seeing from DPearce. His best is sublime, and his worst is just mind boggling bad - and you can see both in the space of 2 minutes. I guess he could work on more of the former, but I think that's about as good as you're going to get from him.

If it's any consolation, I think his kicking has generally been better than last year as a whole. At least this year he's hitting the goals a better than last year - that's a step in the right direction.

He stuffs the simple kicks because he has too much time to think about what is happening, whereas he kicks the miraculous goals because he is going with his gut.

Solution: Don't think, just do.

He was recruited because he was the number one rebounding defender in the comp at the time. We are using him as an outside mid in order to help Hilly out though, as Tendai plays that role for us.

Danyle was a "Money Ball" type recruit for us and I think that he does help Hilly out. He is very good below his knees and has great pace, however he does have his limitations.

He wasn't our worst player out there yesterday. Without Hilly playing though he almost becomes redundant.

His kicking action relies too much on an exaggerated 'arc' . It's fundamentally flawed but because he has such a sweet hand/eye/leg feel he gets away with it mostly.
When you add pressure and put that action slightly off balance or hurried you get the results we see occasionally.
James Hird had a similar arc / leg swing when kicking off a step as you can use your core to more effect ( I.e kick longer ) but Hird also had a beautiful , upright, technically correct, mundy like straight form action as well which he used a lot more than the arc method which requires sweet timing.
Buddy is another example of it, the leaning over, hip open, straight leg sweep technique - but he generally has more time and balance to execute it.
Pearce is fine, just gets caught between his natural kicking action and a more upright version that he is not as proficient at when under pressure / off balance .
That's my opinion anyway

This is where I'm supposed to, as danyle's buddy, defend him from all comers.... but nope not going to. He was doing this last year as well and I raised it a few times. It's when he's got the spotlight purely on him he shanks it. If in general play he's fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He kicked one OOTF yesterday, and you could see the ball rotate about 20 degrees from ball drop to kick.

Frustrating as hell and if he can't get it under control, he'll be a liability in an important game. For this reason, he should only ever be considered a fringe player, fighting off our depth players for a game.

I'm really glad someone brought up Danyle Pearce's kicking because it is the elephant in the room. Thing about his kicking is, if you watch closely, the ball will almost always spin on an angle. Sort of like a drop punt helicopter. Maybe this is a technique thing and can be improved, and maybe his disposal is beautiful in training, but as it stands, I have absolutely no confidence in him hitting a target in a high pressured game (grand final). Before everyone comes back with the whole "but he leads the competition for inside 50's" thing, just take some time out and actually look at each ball after he kicks it.

Danyle Pearce's kicking? Sometimes when I watch him play I feel like I'd like to join in, does it happen before or after Danyle Pearce's punching and headbutting?

Fair suck of the sauce bottle people. To sorta quote a particular coach, it's not as good as you think it is and it's not as bad as you think it is. The clangers that he kicks look very dramatic and etch in your eyeballs, more visible doesn't necessarily mean worse.

The team has 226 goals, 190 behinds for an average of 1.19 goals per behind.
Danyle has 16 goals, 14 behinds for an average of 1.14 goals per behind (yes, I acknowledge that the team behind count includes forced). He's not wasting the ball as much as you'd think and a lot of it is from long kicks and goals that we otherwise wouldn't get.

Sure he shanks a few and they can be frustrating, he has 47 clangers to Barlows 52 - and we aren't wanting to cover Barlow in tar and feathers.

He is #1 in the AFL for inside 50's this season with 92. Jeager O'meara is 2nd with 81. So I think his kicking is a major plus for the team and he gains us many meters each and every week. After last weekend, it should be obvious that we need inside 50's.

while i agree with you, barlow is a bad example to use

Fair suck of the sauce bottle people. To sorta quote a particular coach, it's not as good as you think it is and it's not as bad as you think it is. The clangers that he kicks look very dramatic and etch in your eyeballs, more visible doesn't necessarily mean worse.

The team has 226 goals, 190 behinds for an average of 1.19 goals per behind.
Danyle has 16 goals, 14 behinds for an average of 1.14 goals per behind (yes, I acknowledge that the team behind count includes forced). He's not wasting the ball as much as you'd think and a lot of it is from long kicks and goals that we otherwise wouldn't get.

Sure he shanks a few and they can be frustrating, he has 47 clangers to Barlows 52 - and we aren't wanting to cover Barlow in tar and feathers.

He is #1 in the AFL for inside 50's this season with 92. Jeager O'meara is 2nd with 81. So I think his kicking is a major plus for the team and he gains us many meters each and every week. After last weekend, it should be obvious that we need inside 50's.

A good post, although I think Barlows clangers are up due to getting much more of the ball & getting inside ball too.
Pretty certain DPearce is right up there in the AFL for meters gained as well.
So we are getting good with the bad. He should have another 5 or so goals with some of the bad misses he's had, but has also kicked some rippers.
We would all like to see his kicking be more consistent, but probably not gonna happen. As ppl have said, he takes attention from hill, so he's fine by me.

while i agree with you, barlow is a bad example to use

A very bad example. Barlow is forgiven for his sub-par kicking because he's more of an inside extractor feeding the ball out.

Pearce plays more of a receiver role which makes his inconsistent kicking more frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back