Opinion Danyle Pearce, Zac Clarke, Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be correct if Port were a skilled or quick team. They aren't. They are very much like us except the way they move the ball is different. In reality they have two "speedsters" in their team in Polec and White, the others aren't exactly much faster than any of our players, especially their midfield. We have Hill as a speedster and Ballantyne as the forward speedster. We were cut apart from our own bad kicking and Port nailing everything including boundary line shots often.
Kicking for goal, hitting targets is a skill. If we had our best team out there, fit and firing, result may
have been closer either way. They don't lose speed, spread quickly over the entire game, and have the
fitness to run over the top of teams.
They have more first round pick players in their team. We have several on the sidelines watching.
I don't have much confidence when Crowley, Suban, MDB, Clarke are in the same team, one tall
backman, and a forward line where Pav, Mayne, Clarke don't score enough, the system, structures need reviewing.

I think Zac is still substantially lighter in average weight than a lot of opposition starting ruckmen, he's not able to physically hold off opponents from manhandling him at stoppages and contests.
He doesn't take front position and, tries to jump over the top of opposition.

Nothing of the sort. I don't think it's simply a case of rocking up with the same team next year and hoping there are no injuries.

I would like to see less of defensive role players in the forward half. I would like Mayne to kick more goals, or made accountable for not doing so. I would like Danyle Pearce's role changed such that he is not the number one bloke kicking inside 50. I would like Zac Clarke being made accountable, possibly by Apeness who can play up forward in stints, possibly better than Clarke can. Form and attitude permitting, I would like Sylvia to be a rotation in the midfield.

Those are the things that could make Freo top four again. Not more of the same.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier, but not so succinctly. We don't need massive changes and our core is easily good enough.

i dunno if he needs to. he isn't going to be the monstering-type of ruckman and last thing we need is for him to be a slower forward

If he can't influence the tap because he is pushed out of the way and can't influence the game in the forward fifty what role will he be playing in 2015?

The Mitch Clark sweeping half back role?

What role will he be playing in 2015?

The Mitch Clark sweeping half back role?

That is far from the stupidest thing that's been said on this forum.
Zac is tall and has a huge tank. I'm sure the opposition would think twice about long bombs into their Fwd 50 with a 200cm monster prowling around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke can and does play some very good football But these good games are against lesser opposition such as GWS and he has gone totally missing when it counts. It is not a lack of ability it is a lack of hunger for the contest in big games he may find this at another club good luck to him.

But I wonder whether the running teams are our Achilles, but in the same way - the running teams are also like the Freo of old, never knowing which team would turn up.
Teams that move the ball quick and use the ball well under pressure are always going to trouble us, as they can catch our defensive structures before they can properly set up.

Especially if they win their fair share of clearances.

Teams that can tick all those boxes are capable of making us look slow... which we are... and a bit rudderless, which is what quick, accurate ball movement can do against a team defense.

Because he played for WC? Cox was one of the best ruckmen going around..

He wasn't renowned for his ruck work, which was only middle of the road. It was his ability to function as an extra midfielder and rack up 18+ possessions a game that made Cox so good.

He wasn't renowned for his ruck work, which was only middle of the road. It was his ability to function as an extra midfielder and rack up 18+ possessions a game that made Cox so good.
Exactly what Clarke should be learning to do.. If he isn't going to be a massively effective ruckman then he should learn to play around the ground better.

Exactly what Clarke should be learning to do.. If he isn't going to be a massively effective ruckman then he should learn to play around the ground better.

He was very good around the ground last year when he was the #1 ruck in Sandi's absence. Not much of a forward though, which is why I think we should recruit a forward ruck (like Ryder) to complement Zac Clarke, who will be our #1 ruck after Sandi retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back