Game Day Darcy Moore (Thread closed - pls move over to 'welcome ...' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe - Maybe Not.

Teams would have a Fair Idea on a F/S Prospect and Especially one as good as Darcy Moore
They'd have a fair idea, but they won't know exactly what Collingwood are thinking. For example, although it looks highly likely that we will take Moore with our first pick, he hasn't set the world alight and it is not unlikely for other clubs to think that we have enough KPP and we would prefer to consider someone like Petracca or Pickett with our first pick because we are in desperate need of some pace through the midfield. Having that thought, they may hold back in bidding a top 5/6 pick for Moore because they may consider others a better list fit and wouldn't want to trap themselves in taking him if we don't.

It may not make a huge difference, but allows for some flexibility for the Father/son club.

Last edited:
We Will Nominate Moore 100%

I am not convinced we will take him if we have to give up our first round pick. I don't think he has shown enough yet to warrant that conclusion.

We had shown in recent years that we are prepared to pass on father son picks. If there are better players than Moore available at our pick we will not take him.

I remember the outcry when Adelaide went for Dangerfield over a local lad with their first round pick and then let him stay in Victoria to complete his studies. Like Adelaide we will take the best player available and that may not be Moore.

I am not convinced we will take him if we have to give up our first round pick. I don't think he has shown enough yet to warrant that conclusion.

We had shown in recent years that we are prepared to pass on father son picks. If there are better players than Moore available at our pick we will not take him.

I remember the outcry when Adelaide went for Dangerfield over a local lad with their first round pick and then let him stay in Victoria to complete his studies. Like Adelaide we will take the best player available and that may not be Moore.

Well you have not seen him play very much then.

Moore is Rated a top 10 Prospect by everyone and some even have him Top 5

Absolutely no doubt Dave. It's the pick we use that I'm discussing.

I'm still hanging onto a chance here. If Dogs or carlton are contemplating trading their 1st round picks for some rumoured players, Patton for Dogs and Dylan Shiel for carlton, they'll lose the chance of that strategy, if in the unlikely scenario we don't match their bid on Moore.

So if Dogs or carlton have any hope of landing any of the gun young GWS players that might be heading home, they'll need that 1st rounder and makes bidding extremely risky.

As it sits, according to Callum Twomey from AFL.com, Moore is rated 6, with Isaac Heeney at 4, who'll go to the Swans. Therefore Moore sits at 5 in the ratings according to our selection. We just need a couple to have massive finals series in the TAC Cup or tear it up in the SANFL/WAFL. i.e. Sam Durdin, Jarrod Pickett

This is exactly right. What people need to consider is that Dogs and Blues might be looking to trade their picks, and therefore can't bid.

Yes it is. The current bidding system is that we have to nominate a player first. It means that clubs can force our hand knowing that we will take Moore anyway.

If clubs have to bid first, not knowing what Collingwood will do, they may do so more cautiously.

Collingwood need to nominate them as a father-son candidate. But there is no statement of intent. All that says is that we are prepared to take him with our final draft pick.

Clubs don't know whether we would take him with our first or second pick by the time they need to decide on whether to bid or not. The nomination from us just puts him into the market.

It doesn't matter if Moore was rated pick 15 a club would make us use our first pick anyway! The system is bullshit

Not true. A club won't bid on Moore unless they are prepared to take him with that pick. Why would they risk us declining?

Hine won't take him if he rates him 15 and we would be foreced to use 7... Why would he do that?

Not true. A club won't bid on Moore unless they are prepared to take him with that pick. Why would they risk us declining?

Hine won't take him if he rates him 15 and we would be foreced to use 7... Why would he do that?

I think that our passing on potential father son picks in recent years might make us well placed to pick Moore up with a second round pick. Clubs will not risk taking Moore if he is not clearly in the top half dozen, particularly given his strong desire to play at Collingwood. The risks are too high for those clubs with the first half dozen picks to nominate him if he is not clearly superior to an alternate player.

We nominate first

Spot on. It's a massive risk, to bid a top 6 pick, assuming we finish with pick 7, for a kid who has massive potential but hasn't shown the consistency at, say VFL like Luke McDonald did, when WCE bid pick 6 for him. Rumour has it they didn't think Scharenberg would still be there.:D You new McDonald was going to be B&W to compete with men. We don't 'know' that with Darcy. He's not a Tom Boyd or Jon Patton. Massive potential but still unproven against men. That said, I won't be disappointed if we take him with our 1st pick.

Any bid would also be 6/7 weeks before the draft. The draft order can change quite a bit in that time as recruiters go through their notes, interviews, tape etc.

TradeDraft don't take our speculation over Darcy that we don't want him or don't rate him. We'd just like a little extra to go with him. I'm sure you'll love the speculation over who our, say pick 7 will be, if we score Darcy with our 2nd rounder.

I think that our passing on potential father son picks in recent years might make us well placed to pick Moore up with a second round pick. Clubs will not risk taking Moore if he is not clearly in the top half dozen, particularly given his strong desire to play at Collingwood. The risks are too high for those clubs with the first half dozen picks to nominate him if he is not clearly superior to an alternate player.

I was more thinking that we really rate Moore as we are prepared to take him and not let him go

Just say another club nominates moore with a pick directly behind our pick, with the new regulations possibly coming in for this draft, could that mean that we would have to use our second and third round picks to get him. I think that would still be a good outcome, and if this does happend do you think we would pick up a modfielder or another tall with our first pick I wouldnt mind a picket or a goddard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very True but Grundy Interviewed not well and I highly Doubt Moore would do that

Moore would interview saying I want to play for Collingwood. You draft me and you run the risk of losing me in two years time. The Force runs deep in Moore and his desire to play for Collingwood is strong. That might see his ranking drop significantly like Grundy.

Yep, but we don't nominate a pick. It's up to other clubs to bid a pick 1st. We have the final right of offer. Take him with our next pick or let the team who bid for him, have him.
Yes but we all no how it's going to turn out. A club will just say they will use there first for the sake of it. The other clubs no we will use our first on him.

I was more thinking that we really rate Moore as we are prepared to take him and not let him go

And I am not sure that if we had too we would take Moore with our first round selection. We clearly rate Moore, but Hind may rate 8-10 others higher which would mean we pass on him if force too use our first round pick on him.

And I am not sure that if we had too we would take Moore with our first round selection. We clearly rate Moore, but Hind may rate 8-10 others higher which would mean we pass on him if force too use our first round pick on him.

So you say you want Hine to Pass on Moore as he is Overrated in your mind

Yes but we all no how it's going to turn out. A club will just say they will use there first for the sake of it. The other clubs no we will use our first on him.

Risky strategy if Moore isn't clearly top 5 material. Also risky if Moore has a strong desire to play for the Pies. Could be in black and white two years later. I would think at this stage given his form few clubs would take that risk.

I think it all depends on carlton and the bulldogs on what they decide to do, both need kpp but moore doesnt seem like the dominant type of kpp that they both require, if mckenzie goddard and durdin fire then moore might get shuffled back and we could claim him with our 2nd pick hopefully, theres just so much time 7 weeks from nomination to draft day I personally dont think these two clubs will take that risk unless they really rate moore as a top 3 player

I think it all depends on carlton and the bulldogs on what they decide to do, both need kpp but moore doesnt seem like the dominant type of kpp that they both require, if mckenzie goddard and durdin fire then moore might get shuffled back and we could claim him with our 2nd pick hopefully, theres just so much time 7 weeks from nomination to draft day I personally dont think these two clubs will take that risk unless they really rate moore as a top 3 player
Could Mckenzie, Goddard, Durdin, Lever, McCartin, Wright, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett all go before Moore? Anyone else?

Hopefully Moore has. Bad case of the Flu and has a crap end to the year and an even more average draft camp/combine

Could Mckenzie, Goddard, Durdin, Lever, McCartin, Wright, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett all go before Moore? Anyone else?
Well thats 9 players listed that could possibly go before moore, petracca, mccartin, brayshaw and wright I think will all definately be rated higher than moore its gunna be a close call whether the dogs or blues go for a moore or they think goddard durdin and mckenzie are better list fits 50/50 I reckon, I would also add ahern, lamb and marchbank as other possible top 10, plus there is always a bolter ex. Bontempelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back