Game Day Darcy Moore (Thread closed - pls move over to 'welcome ...' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no doubt in my mind that Darcy Moore will be at Collingwood next year, and I hold a slim, but genuine, hope that it will be for a second round pick. It helps that there are a few highly rated current players who possibly could move, but would require a high pick to get the deal done. This creates enough uncertainty that it might cause one or two above us to hold off on any bidding.

^ I think this is likely the outcome - but it is arguable whether it is the right way to go about it.

We have to sit back and ask - why is there so much hype around him? He is not being touted as a top pick, and there are others placed ahead of him in his position. His TAC Cup performances haven't been spectacular either.

He looks like he has some ideal physical attributes (other than needing to add muscle to his frame) - but that could be said about a dozen guys each year.
Is he gaining this reputation largely because of his dad?

And are we in this position because of all the attention he has gained from fans and the media - which is basically taking the choice out of Hines' hands.

I think Hines' public approach is right - you pick based on scouting, not based on sentiment. I think if we don't rate him as a top-10 pick, it would be a shame (and probably a mistake) to take him with number 8... but I think with public opinion as it is right now, it would take a very brave committee to not pick him up with our first rounder if another team bids.

People keep mentioning Stewart and to a lesser extent Kelly as FS picks we missed on.
A decision was made to trade higher in to the draft, (Welli & Dawes) and as we know we ended up with 3 picks, (18,19 & 20).
Given that was the intention Hine decided, (and advised the player & families) that we couldn't nominate them, as it would jeopardise our plans.
If someone else who finished outside the 8 nominated them we'd have to use a 1st round pick, (and at that point we only had one).
Bearing in mind the nominations are done prior to the trade period and we didn't know what our picks were going to be he made the call.
So when looking at what we missed out on, factor in we got Grundy, Broomy & Kenno and that we will get Moore this year - I think it was a fair call.

There is no doubt in my mind that Darcy Moore will be at Collingwood next year, and I hold a slim, but genuine, hope that it will be for a second round pick. It helps that there are a few highly rated current players who possibly could move, but would require a high pick to get the deal done. This creates enough uncertainty that it might cause one or two above us to hold off on any bidding.

But I suspect in 10 years time, when he is captain of the pies and a four time All Australian, we will not be thinking about where he went in the draft.
We will if the guy we get with pick 8 also becomes as 4 time AA.
It does work like that, life after Cloke if Moore was to be playing well at Carlton and Stewart was playing well at GWS and we were in desperate need for a tall then he is done
Not if the guy we select at pick 8, also turns out to be a gun. See Hodge over Judd.
Derek Hine has embarrassed himself enough over the last 2/3 trade periods, he wont let this happen again. Moore is a gun
OK.:drunk:

Theres no way Collingwood will Pass on Moore. He will be a pie at pick 8.

Derek Hine has embarrassed himself enough over the last 2/3 trade periods, he wont let this happen again. Moore is a gun

Ummmm.. ok?

2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman, Langdon, Marsh.
2012 - Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead, Ramsay
2011 - traded pick 25 and got Jamie Elliott. Ended up getting Gault and Witts.

Passed on Kelly and Stewart as Father sons. Stewart as shown glimpses and nothing from Kelly.

Out of the 11 mentioned players.
Quite comfortably 8 players who will be Best 22. Possibly 9/10.

Pretty ordinary call on your behalf.

Passing on Stewart also plays into this a bit. He was ranked a top 5-10 pick at one point and we passed on him. It may add a little confusion to other recruiters (watch Draft Day with Kevin Costner about the Cleveland Browns). If we had a pick outside 10, then clubs would say the Pies would definitely take him, but having one inside may create the slightest of doubts (here's hoping)

Ps... Hine should be floating pick 8 to GWS for Jaksch to start some rumours that we may pass on Moore adding a little doubt in recruiters minds, and possibly forcing Carlton to offer pick 6 for Jaksch. Would GWS take Moore with one of their two top 6 picks?
I reckon this is a great idea. Cold call a few clubs enquiring about player x for pick 8, word will get around and it'l decrease the chance of anyone forcing our hand for the sake of it

I have been racking my brain to think of what Hine could be up to and if I was in his shoes what might i look to do. Here is a theory;

Collingwood trade Harry Lumumba and pick 8 to GWS / Brisbnane or Bulldogs for their first round pick.

This gives Collingwood pick 3, 4 or 5.

With these picks it is highly unlikely Moore will get taken prior to one of those picks thus enabling Collingwood to get Darcy with a Rd 2 selection and move up the order in Rd 1 to get a Brayshaw / McCartin / Laverde or Durdin type.

Harry might not be enough to get to to pick 3 but I would suspect the Giants would be keen on him and that a swap of picks or another player might get them there (eg Lachie Keefe would be one they would have an interest in I would think.

An option for GWS might be;

Collingwood trade: Pick 8, Lachie Keefe and / or Harry Lumumba
GWS trade: Pick 3, Jono ORourke and / or Sam Frost

I have been racking my brain to think of what Hine could be up to and if I was in his shoes what might i look to do. Here is a theory;

Collingwood trade Harry Lumumba and pick 8 to GWS / Brisbnane or Bulldogs for their first round pick.

With these picks it is highly unlikely Moore will get taken prior to one of those picks thus enabling Collingwood to get Darcy with a Rd 2 selection and move up the order in Rd 1 to get a Brayshaw / McCartin / Laverde or Durdin type.

Harry might not be enough to get to to pick 3 but I would suspect the Giants would be keen on him and that a swap of picks or another player might get them there (eg Lachie Keefe would be one they would have an interest in I would think.

F/S bidding is before the trade period.

Ummmm.. ok?

2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman, Langdon, Marsh.
2012 - Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead, Ramsay
2011 - traded pick 25 and got Jamie Elliott. Ended up getting Gault and Witts.

Passed on Kelly and Stewart as Father sons. Stewart as shown glimpses and nothing from Kelly.

Out of the 11 mentioned players.
Quite comfortably 8 players who will be Best 22. Possibly 9/10.

Pretty ordinary call on your behalf.

Jesse White, Clinton Young, Quinten Lynch, Tony Armstrong. Check mate

Nice theory but the father son bid is done before the trade period so we will not have the higher pick until after (if my understanding is correct).

None of those players cost us anything significant. It's only embarrassing if you pay overs for those types of guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pretty sure we are playing mind games with other clubs. Moore's situation is similar with Jack Viney's situation but more complicated.
MacDonald and Daniher will definitely be picked before North and Ess's picks. Viney looks like around pick 5 and Dees got him second round
About Moore, I believe he is around Pick 5-12. If we commit to draft him from day 1, other clubs like Carlton will bid him for sure to force us using the pick 8.
Luckily, there are a few good young bloke on the market from GWS (KJ, Shiels etc.) or Sydney (Mitchell) and it maybe require a 1st rounder to trigger trade. Clubs with higher picks than us like doggies and Carlton will feel anxious to bid Moore which could see them miss a good player with 2 years development under belt (For example, KJ). Also, Moore is a rookie who need development and he is with injury record sidelined him for a long period. Doggies and Carlton desperately want to win and I doubt they have time to wait Moore to develop.
I remember that Hine rated this years draft higher than last year's and Hine will be very happy have 2 pick 10 quality player in this year's draft.
I think we will pick Moore and Hine and co really hope we could have him costing only a second rounder which will see a huge win for us.

Young, Lynch were free agents. Cost nothing.
White and Armstrong came across for very little.
White is important to structure.

How's Gumbleton and Sylvia going..?

If he does not take Moore it will be the beginning of the end of Hine at Collingwood, if Moore was to go on and become a star at Carlton he will get sacked and he will knows that. Moore will be at Collingwood next year Hine is doing his best to get him at a second rounder.
Think you are looking only at one side of the equation there. The flip side would be Moore turns out to be a so so AFL player at Carlton and Hine picks La Verde (as an example) at 8 who develops into an AA jet. All draft choices come with a range of possibilities. Hine strikes me as someone who backs his own judgement and this will all depend on where he rates Moore . That remains the big unknown.

If he says Moore isn't no 8 material I defer to his opinion and want him to do what he believes is best for Collingwood.

Come on Snoop you're better than that.
Father Son Bidding is done before any trades can be made.

your an idiot, they were free agents, and cost us nothing, the recruiting by hine has been superb, his revitialising the list and using free agents as placeholders... Jesse White is the only one we traded for and i still think he has value as a third tall when we get another key tall.

Think you are looking only at one side of the equation there. The flip side would be Moore turns out to be a so so AFL player at Carlton and Hine picks La Verde (as an example) at 8 who develops into an AA jet. All draft choices come with a range of possibilities. Hine strikes me as someone who backs his own judgement and this will all depend on where he rates Moore . That remains the big unknown.

If he says Moore isn't no 8 material I defer to his opinion and want him to do what he believes is best for Collingwood.
We need a top line young tall Laverde is not a KPP, that is the beauty of Moore he is not only a good young player he fills a big need on our list

We will take Moore at 8 even if we "only" think hes worth pick 15 or 20. The draft order is not THAT scientific. Just go back and re-do any draft over the past 15 years. You wont get the same results now as you did at the time. Nathan Fyfe would no longer be pick 20, he'd be pick 1.

It only takes one club ahead of us in the draft to bid for him. Thats likely. If he drops to second round for us it will be a bonus.

Haha, that makes no sense... Why would Hine do this? If he rates 14 or so players as better than Moore, and can therefore get access to any one of at least 6 of them, why exactly would he select Moore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back