Game Day Darcy Moore (Thread closed - pls move over to 'welcome ...' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say, hypothetically, we get pick 11 in the first round of the draft and Hine rates him as a late first round pick. But a club below us, screaming out for a forward with upside say they'll take him at pick 9.

Is it then a certainty that he will be taken by the team below us at Pick 9? Or are they allowed to take someone else - like say a higher rated forward who was a slider due to issues with his feet or something?

And if they can take him, passing on Moore, do we have a right to him at our second round pick or is he open to all bidders?

Did that make sense?

Your question makes sense, but any answer other than 'No' doesn't. So to summarise, if a club bids, and is the successful bid, they are compelled to take the player. Otherwise, all clubs would just bid to push the price up on draftees.

Say, hypothetically, we get pick 11 in the first round of the draft and Hine rates him as a late first round pick. But a club below us, screaming out for a forward with upside say they'll take him at pick 9.

Is it then a certainty that he will be taken by the team below us at Pick 9? Or are they allowed to take someone else - like say a higher rated forward who was a slider due to issues with his feet or something?

And if they can take him, passing on Moore, do we have a right to him at our second round pick or is he open to all bidders?

Did that make sense?

If a club with a selection before Collingwood bid their first round selection we either agree to use our first round selection on him or we lose the chance to get him.

Your question makes sense, but any answer other than 'No' doesn't. So to summarise, if a club bids, and is the successful bid, they are compelled to take the player. Otherwise, all clubs would just bid to push the price up on draftees.
Good point. Just shows that bidding for a player weeks in advance is a big call.

If a club with a selection before Collingwood bid their first round selection we either agree to use our first round selection on him or we lose the chance to get him.
Yeah, I get that much. I was more wondering if they're allowed to pass on him at the draft table and take someone else who maybe slid. If so, is he then available to everyone or just Collingwood in the second round? But Jelly Bean answered the question with some much needed logic, so all good.

Good point. Just shows that bidding for a player weeks in advance is a big call.

Well with no Expansion Teams coming up anytime soon then there is no reason to Nominate them until the end of Draft Camp when the Nominations needs to be made

Well with no Expansion Teams coming up anytime soon then there is no reason to Nominate them until the end of Draft Camp when the Nominations needs to be made
How many weeks after the draft camp does the draft happen? I just think that with time, opinions change. Nominating a 17 year old kid would be a huge call to make when you have no idea who could go before him. Really glad that it's Hine doing it and not me. ;)

How many weeks after the draft camp does the draft happen? I just think that with time, opinions change. Nominating a 17 year old kid would be a huge call to make when you have no idea who could go before him. Really glad that it's Hine doing it and not me. ;)

Well Trade Period starts the Next Monday, So the Nominations happen that Friday and Bidding on Monday

As key position players I'd take Wright, Durdin, McCartin and possibly Goddard first with the latter a flip of the coin between he and Moore.

So 3, maybe 4 talls you'd take first. Are any of them likely to be available at our selection? Unlikely. That's why I'd lean towards taking Moore with that tall our top need with our other posts looking in pretty good shape.

Hopefully, he has an excellent [preferably injury-free] season and he's an obvious bargain when the time comes, and he earns that available number 30.

Hopefully, he has an excellent [preferably injury-free] season and he's an obvious bargain when the time comes, and he earns that available number 30.

Well we hope he Dominates but it sounds like that he has injured his Hand:(

Could be worse, Dave. It could've been more issues similar to last year.
Anyway, let's hope things go well in the last 3 months of the season, heh.

Yep - Where he can play in the VFL for us:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton will get pick 1, and 3 then Melbourne 4,5 and 6.

Melbourne won't have three picks (AFL won't give them a priority in the first round - more likely at end of first round). Carlton will probably get one as well.

So we will be faced with being pushed back at least 2 spots.

If Melbourne end up with picks 1,2,3 it won't help us- particularly if they take two talls.
It specifically won't help us get him in the second round, but as it will push our first rounder further back it could well mean we're getting more of a bargain with our first-round pick.

How is Melbourne getting 3 picks in the top 10? Normal pick + Frawley compo. Is the third a PP? That would annoy me.
And how is Carlton getting 2 picks in the top 10? Normal pick + Gibbs compo?

That would annoy the s$%t out of me. The 2 WORST recruiting teams of all time getting half of the top 10.

First time, long time - saw this guy play first hand as he is a year or two below me in age, impressive mover.

Hopefully can stay physically sound and continue to develop, the pressure is enormous from us pies fans. With any luck he can cope well with the impending waves of attention and scrutiny.

How is Melbourne getting 3 picks in the top 10? Normal pick + Frawley compo. Is the third a PP? That would annoy me.
And how is Carlton getting 2 picks in the top 10? Normal pick + Gibbs compo?

That would annoy the s$%t out of me. The 2 WORST recruiting teams of all time getting half of the top 10.

They wont get a first round pick for Frawley, the reason he is an unrestricted free agent is because he isn't in the top 10 paid players at the club. Because of a front ended contract. The pick is largely based on how much the club is paying him

They wont get a first round pick for Frawley, the reason he is an unrestricted free agent is because he isn't in the top 10 paid players at the club. Because of a front ended contract. The pick is largely based on how much the club is paying him

Cool, thanks for that. Now I definitely have no idea how they would get 3 top 10 picks then ???

Cool, thanks for that. Now I definitely have no idea how they would get 3 top 10 picks then ???

They wont there was an article suggesting, they would finish last (1 pick), get pick after there first rounder if they loose frawley (2 pick) & compensation pick from the league (3 pick)

It's based on what the new club is paying him. With $800k being the current asking price if he leaves the compensation is certain to be band 1.

If Frawley can't get band 1 when leaving Melbourne we might as well scrap the whole system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back