Game Day Darcy Moore (Thread closed - pls move over to 'welcome ...' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be great, however cannot see the teams that have picks 5-10 range not bidding for him.
Don't GC or GWS have a mid round 1 compo picks (or is it end 1st round?), if so, there is no way Moore would drift to pick 13, he will have several clubs willing to bid.
Hell, Melbourne may bid just to spite us.
I think the compo pick is end of first round but you are right a team will bid, at the start of the year I spoke to an Adelaide recruiter and he said it is just footy politics. "Unless you guys finish bottom 2-3 another club will bid it is how the system works. It is footy politics we don't want Moore to go to Collingwood second round because it means they get to draft another very good player with their first pick."

I think the compo pick is end of first round but you are right a team will bid, at the start of the year I spoke to an Adelaide recruiter and he said it is just footy politics. "Unless you guys finish bottom 2-3 another club will bid it is how the system works. It is footy politics we don't want Moore to go to Collingwood second round because it means they get to draft another very good player with their first pick."

Though Hine could Call there Bluff.

Though I highly doubt he will do that with Moore

View attachment 69912
Callum Twomey has him 5th, behind McCartin, Petracca, Wright & Heeney.
Still not sure about McCartin being rated so high, tall like Moore Goddard and Durdin have shown a lot more versatility. For mine McCartin offers to little after the ball hits the ground and can only play as a forward is not an overly good shot on goal but I would say he is the best mark in the draft

We won the 2010 flag with seven rookies, Saints also had seven and very nearly won it. Earlier this year our disposal looked a lot better, not sure if it's confidence or what.
I think it is a combination of having so many senior players out and a few senior players playing injured, it puts intense pressure on the rookies and youngsters to contribute above their current physical and mental capacity.

It has to have a cumulative effect and I believe we are seeing what amounts to burnout, both mentally and physically.

We won the 2010 flag with seven rookies, Saints also had seven and very nearly won it. Earlier this year our disposal looked a lot better, not sure if it's confidence or what.

We had a game plan that catered for the poor ball use also not every rookie is a rookie due to lack of skill sometimes its application, attitude, fitness etc.

Sometimes it just plain recruiters getting their real values wrong.

Our disposal has looked s**t all season and also last year, under MM we had a few more elite kicks in the team right now the balance is out of whack.

Still not sure about McCartin being rated so high, tall like Moore Goddard and Durdin have shown a lot more versatility. For mine McCartin offers to little after the ball hits the ground and can only play as a forward is not an overly good shot on goal but I would say he is the best mark in the draft
He kicked 7 in his last game (2 weeks ago).

They know that Moore will go to Collingwood and he said if Collingwood did pass Adelaide would be wrapt to have him
Question: If the team with pick 3 bid on Moore and we choose not to take him, are they locked in to take him at pick 3?

I mean, if on draft day McCartin, for example, was still available at pick 3, can said team go "oh hang on, we didn't think McCartin would be available and we'd like him instead of Moore please." Or must they take Moore having bid on him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question: If the team with pick 3 bid on Moore and we choose not to take him, are they locked in to take him at pick 3?

I mean, if on draft day McCartin, for example, was still available at pick 3, can said team go "oh hang on, we didn't think McCartin would be available and we'd like him instead of Moore please." Or must they take Moore having bid on him?
No they have to take him, otherwise it would be a pretty ridiculous system.

My understanding is if they bid they have to take him

They have to take Moore

As others have said, yes they are locked to Moore.
That's the reason why clubs may be put off bidding (although he's good enough that they won't.) They would want to be sure as s**t that they really want him.

McKenzie kicked 10 and no one is talking about him as pick one. Kicking 7 goals does not make him versatile it does not mean he is good hen the ball hits the ground. He is very good in certain area's of his game but is he a complete player?
There is no such thing as a complete player at their stage of development, especially KPP's - even Royce Hart, practically the greatest CHF ever took a while to come on.e

There is no such thing as a complete player at their stage of development, especially KPP's - even Royce Hart, practically the greatest CHF ever took a while to come on.e
I am way to young to remember Royce Hart, I just think other players in the draft pool are more complete players because of a number of factors they can play more than one position, they are better when the ball hits the ground and are more athletic. That is what Moore Goddard and Durdin have over McCartin

I am way to young to remember Royce Hart, I just think other players in the draft pool are more complete players because of a number of factors they can play more than one position, they are better when the ball hits the ground and are more athletic. That is what Moore Goddard and Durdin have over McCartin
Seeds I understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent but everyone develops at a different rate and I just don't think it's worthwhile comparing players against each other too much at this level.

As others have said many high pick players have had just ordinary AFL careers, that's not to say they aren't worthwhile picks, just that they are too young yet to guage their true capabilities.

You need go no further than to look at the list we had when we won our last flag - it was captained by a rookie who had previously been rejected and had a backup ruckman who was another reject, plus a range of 'role' players. Even until we beat Geelong in the finals no one seriously gave us a chance because we were young and basically had few stars.

The opposite is true also - in the '70's we had a magnificent list - truly star studded but constantly failed at the final hurdle.

QUALITY footballers win flags, whether they are gifted stars or honest hard working role players so I'm not a great fan of the draft rating system actually.

But that's just me :)

Seeds I understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent but everyone develops at a different rate and I just don't think it's worthwhile comparing players against each other too much at this level.

As others have said many high pick players have had just ordinary AFL careers, that's not to say they aren't worthwhile picks, just that they are too young yet to guage their true capabilities.

You need go no further than to look at the list we had when we won our last flag - it was captained by a rookie who had previously been rejected and had a backup ruckman who was another reject, plus a range of 'role' players. Even until we beat Geelong in the finals no one seriously gave us a chance because we were young and basically had few stars.

The opposite is true also - in the '70's we had a magnificent list - truly star studded but constantly failed at the final hurdle.

QUALITY footballers win flags, whether they are gifted stars or honest hard working role players so I'm not a great fan of the draft rating system actually.

But that's just me :)

I get what you are saying but the draft does compare players like that. I think the drafting system is a bit hard on the players, I would like to see clubs have longer lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back