Multiplat Dark Souls (including 2018 remaster)

Remove this Banner Ad

No offense, but I don't see how it is possible to spend 10+ hours on the tutorial. What on earth were you doing?

Dying..... A LOT :eek:Keep in mind i went in head on without doing much exploring first, no wonder why i died so much. I figured out that you could go through the door way during the first encounter. Then come back around and start off with the lunging attack (when walking off the high edge).

I faced the Taurus demon last night, finally beat it this morning. Have not made much more progress since then.

No offense, but I don't see how it is possible to spend 10+ hours on the tutorial. What on earth were you doing?

EDIT: If you need advice or anything, let me know. Must have sunk almost 200 hours into Dark Souls.

I will say that it's best to avoid wiki's/guides etc if possible and experience everything yourself. The first time through at least.
If you don't use a guide, you won't beat the game, plain and simple. One of the flaws in this game is that it gives you no clues on where to go. I doubt many people knew they were supposed to walk up the upward beam around the start of Anor Londo.

Dying..... A LOT :eek:Keep in mind i went in head on without doing much exploring first, no wonder why i died so much. I figured out that you could go through the door way during the first encounter. Then come back around and start off with the lunging attack (when walking off the high edge).

I faced the Taurus demon last night, finally beat it this morning. Have not made much more progress since then.
Remember to keep talking to the Knight looking at the sun until he gives you the stone. That's extremely important.

If you don't use a guide, you won't beat the game, plain and simple. One of the flaws in this game is that it gives you no clues on where to go. I doubt many people knew they were supposed to walk up the upward beam around the start of Anor Londo.

Huh? I'm no pro-gamer but I've beaten the game and never got stuck in terms of working out where to go... That's actually what impresses me about the game, there is no hand holding but the design is so well thought out that with basic intuition you'll have no trouble progressing...

Have heard the PC version is a pretty terrible port so I think I'll hold off on buying until summer sales. The temptation of a solid frame rate in blighttown is certainly testing me.

This is completely wrong. I never touched a guide/wiki anything and I finished it. Discouraging hand holding is not a flaw. It's one of the most appealing aspects of the Souls franchise in this "5 minute checkpoint" age of games we're in. Souls games bring back consequences for failure. It punishes those who refuse to learn/adapt. As a result, satisfaction when victory does come is far greater.

Speak to some NPC's and they can give you clues. Not to mention if you are dying in a couple of hits, then clearly that is the games way of telling you to try somewhere else first?

I can't stress how much I disagree with this.

Oh and FTR, the extreme difficulty of these games is a complete myth.

There are absolutely no clues whatsoever that suggest you're meant to walk up a thin beam to another building at the start of Anor Londo. When the pathfinding is that obscure, it's a clear flaw, the only way you can figure it out is either with a guide, summoning someone or messing around until you finally hop down onto it. Who on Earth would even think to try walking on something like this:
13.4.jpg

Plenty of other things I could mention, like trying to escape Blighttown providing you didn't take the shortcut, Blighttown itself, figuring out how to revisit the Undead Asylum (I call bullshit if you claim to have figured that out yourself). I love non-linearity in games, but without any clues on where to go, it can lead to a lot of tedious wandering.

[edit] Just remembered another. When trying to access the Depths, who would even think to use the Mysterious Key on the door right before the bridge? I remember being stuck at that point for an hour.

Such a good game, but blighttown sapped the patience out of me. Losing 30000 souls because I wanted to ''take a minor risk" and pick up a certain item, only to inadvertently fall off an easy ledge accidentally, just ended what was a cruel yet amazingly rewarding experience.

-If you're near the beam and look up, you can see that one of the windows is open. That's how I got through there first time. I knew that I had to get to the central moving platform, so I scanned the building with the camera from the central platform to the elevator until I saw the window. Not that hard. In subsequent play throughs, every single time I go in Anor Londo when online there is a player message or two on the beam which draws your attention.

-Sure, Blight Town is terrible. First time through it seems like a cluster**** of wooden platforms and disease. But that's the point. It is supposed to be a horrible location. Nowhere near impossible though. There's two bonfires there... I got through with no guide.

-Undead Asylum? Yeah I missed it first time. I saw the bird up there and tried a few ways to get up there but failed. Next time when I was online there was a sequence of player messages that led me up like bread crumbs. You don't HAVE to go there though. It's a bonus/secret area, same as Painted World, Gaping Hollow etc. They aren't essential areas. Complaining that a secret area is obscure to get to is clutching at straws IMO. You don't have to do everything first playthrough, especially with a game like Dark Souls which encourages repeated playthroughs with NG+ and the different playstyles/builds.

-The Mystery Key opens Lautrec's cell. I think you mean the Basement Key. It's found not far from the bridge. If I'm stuck and I just got a key... I'd try it on all the locked doors I'd been to. There aren't many at that stage.

First time through I went in blind to experience everything fresh. Then I read a wiki to see what I had missed. Consulting a guide first time through a game is like reading an extensive plot summary of a movie before seeing it IMO. What's the point? If you're legitimately stuck, have exhausted all options, fair enough look up how to progress. But if possible avoid it.

Just out of curiosity, were you gaming in the 90's GrandBlue?

Yeah gaping hollow was the one area I missed, the rest I worked out blind. I'm guessing you played offline, because things like revisiting the Asylum and even pathing in the ice caves becomes quite easy as there are almost always a bunch of messages along the path.

The beam in Anor Londo seemed obvious to me, not sure why you didn't recognise it as a platform.

Pretty sure the only thing I missed out on by doing it blind was the gaping hollow, which obviously isn't essential for beating the game.

-If you're near the beam and look up, you can see that one of the windows is open. That's how I got through there first time. I knew that I had to get to the central moving platform, so I scanned the building with the camera from the central platform to the elevator until I saw the window. Not that hard. In subsequent play throughs, every single time I go in Anor Londo when online there is a player message or two on the beam which draws your attention.

-Sure, Blight Town is terrible. First time through it seems like a cluster**** of wooden platforms and disease. But that's the point. It is supposed to be a horrible location. Nowhere near impossible though. There's two bonfires there... I got through with no guide.

-Undead Asylum? Yeah I missed it first time. I saw the bird up there and tried a few ways to get up there but failed. Next time when I was online there was a sequence of player messages that led me up like bread crumbs. You don't HAVE to go there though. It's a bonus/secret area, same as Painted World, Gaping Hollow etc. They aren't essential areas. Complaining that a secret area is obscure to get to is clutching at straws IMO. You don't have to do everything first playthrough, especially with a game like Dark Souls which encourages repeated playthroughs with NG+ and the different playstyles/builds.

-The Mystery Key opens Lautrec's cell. I think you mean the Basement Key. It's found not far from the bridge. If I'm stuck and I just got a key... I'd try it on all the locked doors I'd been to. There aren't many at that stage.

First time through I went in blind to experience everything fresh. Then I read a wiki to see what I had missed. Consulting a guide first time through a game is like reading an extensive plot summary of a movie before seeing it IMO. What's the point? If you're legitimately stuck, have exhausted all options, fair enough look up how to progress. But if possible avoid it.

Just out of curiosity, were you gaming in the 90's GrandBlue?

Most wouldn't think to look up though. The game has never made you examine far away surroundings before, why start now? Adding to that, when I first saw the beam, I didn't even think I could walk on it, because naturally, it looks like something you'd slip off.

If they designed Blighttown to be deliberately poorly designed, then I don't know how you can defend that. Sorry, but there's a reason they updated the game so it can be skipped. I know a couple of people who quit the game because they were sick of Blighttown.

It doesn't matter if a location is optional, if you're going to include areas like that, at least give the player some sort of clue. Messages left by other players hardly count. Doing this also gives access to another detailed area in the painted world.

and I don't think it's appropriate to have a key located so far away from the door it's meant to open. There are numerous keys throughout the game, and I could assume they unlock any of the doors I opened with the master key. Without any sort of clue as to what the key unlocks, it can lead to more tedious wandering, as it did for me.

As for the next part, I agree, but I used a guide for my first playthrough, and I have no shame. I can only wander around doing nothing so much before I get impatient (and mind you, considering how much wandering I did, I was VERY patient)

FWIW, A Link to the Past was one of my favourite games, and that was a game I got stuck on a lot too, but it can easily be forgiven, because it was released back in 91/92, and it was a masterpiece at the time. Dark Souls on the other hand was released last year and I think by today's standards, the pathfinding is a bit too obscure. As I said before, I love non-linear games that involve exploration, I just think it gets tedious in Dark Souls.

Seriously I have no idea why you're complaining about Blighttown. I found it a difficult area definitely, but never really got lost. It really isn't that big of an area...
What fun is there if all the secret areas are plainly spelled out for you? I remember finding the crow to get back to the asylum and it was a great feeling, it was rewarding. On top of that, finishing the game and then finding out I missed out on gaping hollow was awesome as well, as I had logged 65 hours and explored what I thought was most of the world. I ENCOURAGE developers to make more secret areas, I LOVED hunting them down in Duke Nukem 3D and it would be awful if they were shown to you.
Painted World is pretty obvious, I don't know a single one of my friends that missed it so I find that strange...

Most of your complaints, to be completely honest, sound like poor gaming intuition to me. The beam in Anor Londo has never troubled anyone I know, nobody has ever asked me how to get to the depths, the only complaints about Blighttown I've had is that it's a difficult area and getting poisoned is annoying... And the people I am talking about are 5 of my close friends that I introduced the game to, and four of these 5 are casual gamers at best and are pretty rubbish. The only issue they came across was at first adjusting to the difficulty of the gameplay. You just sound like a typically impatient gamer.
I will grant you that returning to the asylum and the gaping hollow are a little off the beaten path, but that is entirely the point. They harken back to the days when games had secrets for the playerbase to find, and I absolutely adore that about DkS.

A lot of stuff has been nerfed in the PC version. I assume it will carry over via a patch when the DLC drops for consoles.

Just some examples:

-Dark Wood Grain Ring (flip) nerf to 25% instead of 50%
-Elemental weapons all nerfed by about 10-15% in damage.
-Mask of Father from 15% equip burden boost down to 5%
-Mask of Mother HP boost from 15% down to 10%.
-Bottomless Box exploits all removes

Happy with all of it except the BB. BB glitch made making builds for pvp far easier, quicker and less tedious.

Flip ring was crazy OP, to such an extent that if you didn't use it you were fodder.
Elemental weapons were always too powerful compared to pure builds, so this is good.

I hate the masks with a passion, so nerfing them is good. When I first started out I used them, because I wanted to use anything and everything that would give me an advantage. Soon realised that looking good is better IMO. Rather look like a boss and win 65% of the time, than look like **** and win 75%. Started using weapons like Demon Machete, Demon Axe, Great Club etc and select pieces of armour for style as well. Hardly anyone uses them. Every one of my builds used Sanctus for style as well.

I won a 2v1 with Smough's Hammer once and I count that as one of my greatest victories. What a junk weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously I have no idea why you're complaining about Blighttown. I found it a difficult area definitely, but never really got lost. It really isn't that big of an area...
What fun is there if all the secret areas are plainly spelled out for you? I remember finding the crow to get back to the asylum and it was a great feeling, it was rewarding. On top of that, finishing the game and then finding out I missed out on gaping hollow was awesome as well, as I had logged 65 hours and explored what I thought was most of the world. I ENCOURAGE developers to make more secret areas, I LOVED hunting them down in Duke Nukem 3D and it would be awful if they were shown to you.
Painted World is pretty obvious, I don't know a single one of my friends that missed it so I find that strange...

Most of your complaints, to be completely honest, sound like poor gaming intuition to me. The beam in Anor Londo has never troubled anyone I know, nobody has ever asked me how to get to the depths, the only complaints about Blighttown I've had is that it's a difficult area and getting poisoned is annoying... And the people I am talking about are 5 of my close friends that I introduced the game to, and four of these 5 are casual gamers at best and are pretty rubbish. The only issue they came across was at first adjusting to the difficulty of the gameplay. You just sound like a typically impatient gamer.
I will grant you that returning to the asylum and the gaping hollow are a little off the beaten path, but that is entirely the point. They harken back to the days when games had secrets for the playerbase to find, and I absolutely adore that about DkS.
Gee aren't you having a whine? Just because someone has a different opinion, you feel the need to ridicule it.

Just because you found Blighttown easy to navigate doesn't mean others didn't. It was poorly designed, dark, the framerate was terrible, it had a lot of fake platforms and overall, something that never should've been in the game.

and saw the crow? You don't go to the Crow at Firelink, it's the nest, and that's way up at the top of the map, where one would hardly notice. Also, you can't go to the painted world unless you re-visit the Undead Asylum.

and poor gaming intuition? Yeah, because I was really able to just figure out you were supposed to walk across a triangular upward beam after all the flat planks you think you can walk on in Blighttown end up killing you.

Hilarious how you call me impatient though, if I'm impatient after wandering around for an hour trying to figure out where to go, then I don't even want to know how many hours you put into this game trying to do the same thing. At this point I know you're a fanboy who's going to keep defending it, but honestly, I don't even need to come up with much of a response. Go look up some of the 'Lets play' videos on Youtube and fast forward to the Anor Londo part.

Just downloaded this and set up DSFix for the PC. Rocking the 1920x1080, PS3 buttons, high resolution text/UI mods, etc.

Never played Demon Souls, but looking forward to this. I really like these sorts of games with challenging mechanics.

Here is a tentative, pretty flexible pure dex build I plan on using in the arena when the DLC drops. In relation to the changes in the patch, I've made some alterations from what I would normally do.

-Flip ring is out. Apparently half roll has been buffed, But without experiencing it myself I am unsure of its viability. Due to this my build fast rolls.
-Greatsword swing speed has been nerfed. Apparently it is much harder to stunlock with them, so the poise target is now 36 instead of 53. Once again, cannot confirm the stunlock without playing myself.

http://tinyurl.com/8ljvxly

Build notes:
-Uses Chaos Blade with Demon Spear backup, and Sanctus for swag and to offset Chaos leeching.
-Excellent armour combo for its weight with decent defense and poise without sacrificing looks. (Armor of the Sun is the best chestpiece, but it looks like ****ing s**t so I'm not wearing it. Same with all Mask head gear.
-Flexible build allows you to switch out Sanctus or Chaos Blade for your shield of choice, or your dex weapon of choice. (Katana, Scythe, Balder Side Sword) If you do this, take off the str points needed and put into vit. Use Gold Pine Resin to buff your +15 gear.
-Outside of the arena use pyro instead of miracles (Great combustion etc)

I plan on switching out Sanctus for the Gold Tracer depending on its moveset. Blood Shield and LifeHunt Scythe would be a combo I'd look at as well.

Got this game recently, and wow, what a game. The difficulty to start with is massive. Once you get use to it, it can be fine - findings out the patterns of attacks with enemies really help. But some of these bosses are just hard, and that is great.

Fantastic game :D

This I the thread I have been looking for.

Paid 20 bucks for it off ozgameshop and what a purchase.

Finished through 2 or 3 times on one character then got stuck on the 4 kings and lent it to my bro.

Getting it back off him soon (I think he cracked the shits) I'll start a new tool might try a mate this time.

Would recommend this game to anyone once you get the hang of it it isn't that hard, even has a good ending

Got this back on sat and started a new character on Sunday night.

Up to send fortress trying a paladin type build with high faith for good miracles and divine weapon.

My great lighting owns most things as is and has made bosses easy but my divine claymore is leaving my wanting.

Got a few more items to get and still need to decide what armour set I want but I would recommend this build seems made for NG+ and with wrath of the gods should hold up in pvp

I remember when I did the game, I never used any magic ever. I went with a two-handed 2 weapon. That dragon greatsword worked wonders.

I remember when I did the game, I never used any magic ever. I went with a two-handed 2 weapon. That dragon greatsword worked wonders.
My first play through I went 1h and shield no magic just heavy armour fire claymore lightning samurai sword.

This build feels alot more rounded would recommend it the miracles make biggest enemies easier and you can still use the 1h and shield.

I'm only about level 50 now ill see how it progresses I think I'll need to bring my faith up to 40+ as it's on 30 right now

My first play through I went 1h and shield no magic just heavy armour fire claymore lightning samurai sword.

This build feels alot more rounded would recommend it the miracles make biggest enemies easier and you can still use the 1h and shield.

I'm only about level 50 now ill see how it progresses I think I'll need to bring my faith up to 40+ as it's on 30 right now

Cool. I have no idea how good that faith level would be, I don't remember getting mine up ever lol. I initially did have a sword and a shield for a while, however I was then at a boss where I needed to kill it before it killed me as I kept dying, so I went both hands. It may have been that giant wolf with the sword, I can't remember exactly. Or that was just when I switched to the dragon greatsword - maybe that.

With my armour, I had Smough's Set near the end. I think my strength was up to 50 as it was needed to swing the dragon greatsword properly. I remember trying to kill that wolf boss with that 2-handed when my strength was under 50 - it actually worked :eek: Those swings took a while lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back