Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
i heard recently the darling downs crows format may be scrapped. is this true? i know of a kid playing in one of the teams. his dad said the crows have rang, but havent advised yet as to when training starts. one would think training should be underway as the crows were to join a stronger brisbane comp this season..?

can anyone enlighten us as to what is going on with the teams?

• Banned
looks like the crows are gone. aparently they went through 2nd div in a brisbane comp undefeated. they applied to play div 1 this season, but instead have been disbanded.

* one wonders what the thought process was behind the scheme in the first place?

* why then put together a successful u18 squad who win a grand final, go through the season undefeated, then disband them when they look set to compete in a higher division?

* i thought the crows were an AFL pathway for emerging kids?

* if so, what the hell are the QLD AFL doing by putting up stop signs?

* where do these kids play u18s now?

* is the level of competition for them going to drop?

* how do DD kids now prove their wares in front of talent scouts?

* wouldnt it have been easier to watch the DD talent all playing together?

looks like the crows are gone. aparently they went through 2nd div in a brisbane comp undefeated. they applied to play div 1 this season, but instead have been disbanded.

* one wonders what the thought process was behind the scheme in the first place?

* why then put together a successful u18 squad who win a grand final, go through the season undefeated, then disband them when they look set to compete in a higher division?

* i thought the crows were an AFL pathway for emerging kids?

* if so, what the hell are the QLD AFL doing by putting up stop signs?

* where do these kids play u18s now?

* is the level of competition for them going to drop?

* how do DD kids now prove their wares in front of talent scouts?

* wouldnt it have been easier to watch the DD talent all playing together?

Sorry mate, only just saw this, I'll try and answer you questions as best I can.

The Crows did go through 2012 undefeated and won the Grand Final which was a wonderful result for the region. As you are well aware there are many talented players in this age group and by going through undefeated they proved that they were up for the challenge of playing Division 1. The Crows applied to play Div 1 but unfortunately their application was rejected as to gain acceptance they need to be aligned with a senior club which the Darling Downs do not have at this stage.

Once their application was rejected they were left with the option of once again playing in Division 2 however some of the players were keen to test themselves at a higher level and decided to try their luck with one of the Brisbane U18 sides who were already in Div 1. As a result this left the numbers required to field a side quite low and the decision was made to withdraw. Not a great result but under the circumstances it was really the only decision that could be made.

There are now only two options for players in this age group - either try your luck with one of the Brisbane sides or play senior footy in the local competition. I would always encourage those with the talent and desire to test themselves to have a crack in Brisbane but it's a big commitment. Travelling down once or twice a week to training is something that some young blokes just don't want to do and these are the guys we need to retain in the local competition.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

• Banned
thanks reardo.

such a pity that a consession couldnt have been given to the growing DD division by letting the juniors play in an elite competition without a senior side in it. surely they would have grown into a senior side, with some sort of plan in place.

it is an unusually short sighted move by the AFL in my opinion. the actions of the AFL in the DD say the opposite. they really are backing the DD comp. look at what they are doing for the LV club. helping them construct a home field, sending 6 high profile lions to the sign on day on the 16th next month. the AFL has an obvious commitment to the DD.

so in light of that, i find it strange that an allowance couldnt have been given for the crows to play in div 1, with an eye to growing an NEAFL side based in toowoomba. toowoomba is centrally located, has the population, potential infrastruture, sponsors etc, to form a NEAFL club. given some sort of futre plan in place, i see it being a successful franchise, as the NEAFL is a great level of footy, and would attract great interest in the reigon, and form a pathway for DD kids to aspire to.

i think the AFL has missed an opportunity to build a NEAFL club in toowoomba. the crows could have been the foundation on which to build a senior team. it could have started there with their own juniors built into a senior side over time. im sure the AFL has models available to get something off the ground in toowoomba pretty quickly if it so desired. its a pity they didnt support the crows to begin the process.

i hope they have better ideas in mind for the toowoomba/DD reigon. they missed an opportunity here.

thanks reardo.

such a pity that a consession couldnt have been given to the growing DD division by letting the juniors play in an elite competition without a senior side in it. surely they would have grown into a senior side, with some sort of plan in place.

it is an unusually short sighted move by the AFL in my opinion. the actions of the AFL in the DD say the opposite. they really are backing the DD comp. look at what they are doing for the LV club. helping them construct a home field, sending 6 high profile lions to the sign on day on the 16th next month. the AFL has an obvious commitment to the DD.

so in light of that, i find it strange that an allowance couldnt have been given for the crows to play in div 1, with an eye to growing an NEAFL side based in toowoomba. toowoomba is centrally located, has the population, potential infrastruture, sponsors etc, to form a NEAFL club. given some sort of futre plan in place, i see it being a successful franchise, as the NEAFL is a great level of footy, and would attract great interest in the reigon, and form a pathway for DD kids to aspire to.

i think the AFL has missed an opportunity to build a NEAFL club in toowoomba. the crows could have been the foundation on which to build a senior team. it could have started there with their own juniors built into a senior side over time. im sure the AFL has models available to get something off the ground in toowoomba pretty quickly if it so desired. its a pity they didnt support the crows to begin the process.

i hope they have better ideas in mind for the toowoomba/DD reigon. they missed an opportunity here.

Sorry didnt see this thread but have posted thoughts about this in the DD 2012 thread

how could they make a concession for them to play Div 1 colts?

It's not possibly with the logisitics and the way the competition is structured.

At the moment, each Div 1 AP Cup side has an U/18 Div 1 Colts side. There are 12 teams in the comp, so they can't even fill the bye rounds.

The only way they could have done it was to have a club like Coolangatta who is struggling to field an U/18 side (they forfeited on the weekend) not enter a Div 1 Colts side and then the DD Crows could fill their spot in the draw.

If that wasn't possible (hindsight says it might have been, but I doubt Cooly planned to be forfeiting games!) then there isn't really a solution.

how could they make a concession for them to play Div 1 colts?

It's not possibly with the logisitics and the way the competition is structured.

At the moment, each Div 1 AP Cup side has an U/18 Div 1 Colts side. There are 12 teams in the comp, so they can't even fill the bye rounds.

The only way they could have done it was to have a club like Coolangatta who is struggling to field an U/18 side (they forfeited on the weekend) not enter a Div 1 Colts side and then the DD Crows could fill their spot in the draw.

If that wasn't possible (hindsight says it might have been, but I doubt Cooly planned to be forfeiting games!) then there isn't really a solution.
Don't get me wrong, we aren't complaining. We knew the rules and didn't expect any special treatment, it's just unfortunate that we aren't really strong enough at present to be able to field a senior side. Our top 30 players in the competition up here would certainly be competitive but we just don't have the depth currently to field a side week in week out. We'll keep chipping away though, one day it will happen. Good luck to all.

It's a problem all over the place.

there are sides in Div 4 down in Brisbane that are good enough to probably play Div 2 (eg. Zillmere) but because they can't field 2 sides, they MUST play Div 4.

Basically, unless you have the numbers to field 2 sides, you have to play Div 4, no matter how good your single side is.

based on that then, common sense would suggest that DD Hawks would have slotted nicely into the draw in Burleigh's place.
Yep, sounds like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back