Universal Love Darren Burgess football fitness academy

Remove this Banner Ad

^^ Good on em. With the UniSA program, we're a fully fledged sports science centre of excellent now.

Did Burgess go to Milan with the rest of the boys? Perhaps we were inspired by their setup. Wouldn't it be great to have teams from other codes visiting to learn from the best.

Came in with Burgo.

Jet. Some of the work he is doing on his phd (with regard to training loads and GPS) knocked my socks off. Pretty advanced cool stuff.

All round good bloke, pretty handy leg on him too !

Is he the guy we gave the first PHD scholarship to in our partnershilp with the Australian Catholic University about 6-8 months after Burgo returned??

If he is a Jet as you say then maybe we will find plenty more once the UniSA partnership kicks in.

^^ Good on em. With the UniSA program, we're a fully fledged sports science centre of excellent now.

Did Burgess go to Milan with the rest of the boys? Perhaps we were inspired by their setup. Wouldn't it be great to have teams from other codes visiting to learn from the best.

Burgo and Choco went to AC Milan's €150mil+ MilanLab in November 2006 after we played the exhibition game in London in 2006 v Geelong. The MilanLab was only about 2 years old then and is a partnership between AC Milan and Adidas.

When we went to Milan in October 2012 and used the AIS facility just out of Milan - before the Western Bulldogs exhibition game in London - Burgo missed the trip as he was finishing up at Liverpool.

Last edited:
Is he the guy we gave the first PHD scholarship to in our partnershilp with the Australian Catholic University about 6-8 months after Burgo returned??

If he is a Jet as you say then maybe we will find plenty more once the UniSA partnership kicks in.

I think he was fairly established (AIS as someone said) before we picked him up from memory mate, Phd was the icing on the cake...

the spread sheets he has on players is redic. There is one level of data that kind of highlights if a player is 'at risk', after that there is about 7 or 8 spread sheets or levels of detail you can delve into to find out the nuts n bolts of a players workload. Its really fascinating, he went through it once with me and I was like a kid in a candy store. The mind boggles at the depth of data they capture and analyse. I can't remember too many specifics, it was a good 6 - 8 months ago.

Do you think we could have further branches of this program ie. regimes focussed on leadership/media/PR. If we can attract the best students in multimedia/stats/leadership I see it as a great way to top up those who move on.

Do you think we could have further branches of this program ie. regimes focussed on leadership/media/PR. If we can attract the best students in multimedia/stats/leadership I see it as a great way to top up those who move on.

Why? There are plenty of businesses to send our staff to and we arent trying to produce media people.

We are trying to get a leading edge for our players in fitness not pr spin. We have a world class sport scientist, who has built a great team. This allows us to keep him and is team, and to see the outstanding sport scientist undergrads and PHD's. We try and get them early. If not, maybe 10 years later when they have had AFL experience and/or other sports experience and they want to come back to Alberton when a job opens up. This also is a way for Burgo to earn more money which is outside the proposed non player footy department expenditure cap.

I think he was fairly established (AIS as someone said) before we picked him up from memory mate, Phd was the icing on the cake...

the spread sheets he has on players is redic. There is one level of data that kind of highlights if a player is 'at risk', after that there is about 7 or 8 spread sheets or levels of detail you can delve into to find out the nuts n bolts of a players workload. Its really fascinating, he went through it once with me and I was like a kid in a candy store. The mind boggles at the depth of data they capture and analyse. I can't remember too many specifics, it was a good 6 - 8 months ago.

Ok went thru some of my old posts and I saw that KT told me at the October 30 2013 Club 1870 event that we had just awarded the PHD scholarship with Burgo and the Australian Catholic University but I forgot hi name. It wasnt until February 2014 that the Burgo academy was announced but the Uni wasnt revealed for a few more months.

From this link Hellgood put up - I reckon he was the one awarded the PHD as the timing of his promtion links in

http://au.linkedin.com/pub/stuart-graham/43/a65/708

Head of Sports Science
Port Adelaide Football Club
Nonprofit; 51-200 employees; Sports industry
November 2013 – Present (1 year) adelaide area, australia
Provide physiological and recovery support to the Port Adelaide Football Club
Duties include;
Interpret and provide physiological and GPS performance feedback to players,
coaching and medical staff.

Sports Physiologist
Port Adelaide Football Club
Nonprofit; 51-200 employees; Sports industry
March 2012 – October 2013 (1 year 8 months) Adelaide
Provided sports physiological and performance analysis support the Port Adelaide Football Club.
Began a PhD titled "Establishing the relationship between training load, recovery and performance in elite Australian Football.

Sports Physiologist

Australian Institute of Sport
May 2007 – March 2011 (3 years 11 months) Canberra
Provided physiological and recovery support to Olympic, National, Professional Team and AIS Developmental athletes from a variety of sports (Rowing, Rugby 7's Track and Field, Tennis, AFL, NRL, Netball and Winter Sports)

That sounds like the stuff Tommy Jonas told us about at the 2013 BigFooty player sponsor dinner with Broadie and Tommy came along as an extra thank you from the club. Tommy was a full convert to the power of the data produced by the system and telling him when he was peaking and when he was close to breaking down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the model can predict when a player is about to fail due to too much workload and also predict if they are at risk due to a too light workload. Some extra sprints are often prescribed at the end of training to make sure they get the required dose of high speed running needed to condition them for game day. Likewise, the opposite, light sessions if they've done a bit much.

Having 'bulky players' is now circa 2009 - Hawthorn has gone down the path of having their players as strong as possible - BUT as lean as possible.
Port have been on this track in the last few years.
Crows on the other hand bulked up in 2013... whoops

Nah they have bulked up players - Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell in the middle and Burgoyne and Brian down back.

The rule of thumb is height in cms - weight in kgs = 100. See how many Hawks players number is around 97 compared to Port's and other sides.

You will always get the real little guys who have to bulk up and the big rucks KPP's whose number is about 95, but most guys who have been in the system a few years are around 100.

Nah they have bulked up players - Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell in the middle and Burgoyne and Brian down back.

The rule of thumb is height in cms - weight in kgs = 100. See how many Hawks players number is around 97 compared to Port's and other sides.

You will always get the real little guys who have to bulk up and the big rucks KPP's whose number is about 95, but most guys who have been in the system a few years are around 100.
I'm a bit slow - can you give me an example?
You obviously haven't read the article about Russell - Hawthorns fitness man...

I'm a bit slow - can you give me an example?
You obviously haven't read the article about Russell - Hawthorns fitness man...

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/padelaide.html
Kornes 183cms - 79kgs... diff = 104
Cassisi 184cms - 82 cms diff = 102

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/hawthorn.html
Hodge.. 186cms - 89kgs diff = 97
Mitchell 179cms - 83kgs diff = 96

These mids were drafted a year apart and both had Andrew Russell as their fitness head for part of their careers.

I am a big fan of Andrew Russell. He has an 800m/1500m athletics background and is big on build big strong cores. I wrote he was the biggest loss after the 2004 premiership. Read my posts back in 2012 after Primus got sacked and you will see that I had a preference to getting Russell back over Burgo. Seanybruz and I had a big discussion over at TPFP about it. Not sure if we talked about it on here.

Russell believes AFL players should be bigger that what Burgess believes. Now Russell might have got some players to drop a kg or two but his players are bigger than ours when you compare them at the same or similar ages.

Now if you have a link to Russell's article I would be most interested in reading it and then giving you my thoughts.

Russell believes AFL players should be bigger that what Burgess believes. Now Russell might have got some players to drop a kg or two but his players are bigger than ours when you compare them at the same or similar ages.

Now if you have a link to Russell's article I would be most interested in reading it and then giving you my thoughts.

I saw the interview with Russell yesterday and he did say that Hawthorn were steering away from training for size, but are training for strength. That is what Burgess is doing too.

Even when Russell was at Port in interviews he used to laugh at players building up the so-called beach muscles and was much more focused on functional strength.

I saw the interview with Russell yesterday and he did say that Hawthorn were steering away from training for size, but are training for strength. That is what Burgess is doing too.
Any fitness coach who is training for size as the main goal should be sacked. You want some size (and our players need more) to make tackles harder to stick and some of strength comes from size, but with a pre-season for late teen and 20 something guys with access to nutrionists and all the (legal) supplements they should all be getting stronger over the next 2 - 3 months, with just trying to hold that strength during season. None of that information would be public, but it'd at be informative for the fans without being revealing if they said over the pre-season things like <X> has increased his squat by so much or deadlift by so much. Only hearing <X> has set a new PB in running is boring. :(:oops:

Even when Russell was at Port in interviews he used to laugh at players building up the so-called beach muscles and was much more focused on functional strength.

Sure but to say that hawthorn players dont have size is wrong. it was the size and strength of their big bodied mid fielders that bashed and crashed against the swans which is why they smashed them in the first half and set up their GF win.

When Russell was at Port we had decent size but still were smaller than Brisbane players. We were pretty much the equal of any other side. But when he left and Burgess came on board - yes 3 or 4 greats retired each year after the flag - we become noticeable smaller than the rest of the main contenders.

Ian Mckeown has done a great job as our conditioning coach. But if one of our KPD's is giving away 10-12kgs against Buddy or Hawkins then they are going to struggle to beat them. If you are playing against Hodge in the middle and you are giving away 5-6kg and trying to beat him to win clearances, then you are a disadvantage. Ollie has size about him. I dont think anyone wants to tamper with his size and strength.

Sure but to say that hawthorn players dont have size is wrong. it was the size and strength of their big bodied mid fielders that bashed and crashed against the swans which is why they smashed them in the first half and set up their GF win.

When Russell was at Port we had decent size but still were smaller than Brisbane players. We were pretty much the equal of any other side. But when he left and Burgess came on board - yes 3 or 4 greats retired each year after the flag - we become noticeable smaller than the rest of the main contenders.

Ian Mckeown has done a great job as our conditioning coach. But if one of our KPD's is giving away 10-12kgs against Buddy or Hawkins then they are going to struggle to beat them. If you are playing against Hodge in the middle and you are giving away 5-6kg and trying to beat him to win clearances, then you are a disadvantage. Ollie has size about him. I dont think anyone wants to tamper with his size and strength.

Swans mids are just as big and strong as Hawthorn's - the Swans are renowned as a contested ball winning team. They were whipped mentally like WWT Eagles in the 1994 GF.

Burgo has changed his philosophy either as a result of working for Ken or observing the change in AFL.

I can only tell you what I heard Russell say and it is a continuation of the philosophy he had at Port.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/padelaide.html
Kornes 183cms - 79kgs... diff = 104
Cassisi 184cms - 82 cms diff = 102

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/hawthorn.html
Hodge.. 186cms - 89kgs diff = 97
Mitchell 179cms - 83kgs diff = 96

These mids were drafted a year apart and both had Andrew Russell as their fitness head for part of their careers.

I am a big fan of Andrew Russell. He has an 800m/1500m athletics background and is big on build big strong cores. I wrote he was the biggest loss after the 2004 premiership. Read my posts back in 2012 after Primus got sacked and you will see that I had a preference to getting Russell back over Burgo. Seanybruz and I had a big discussion over at TPFP about it. Not sure if we talked about it on here.

Port's current mids around 100 or slightly more - with exceptions such as Ollie, Broady, etc sp not too shabby.
Maybe a couple of extra Kg's of lean muscle to complement their endurance is all that is required?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back