David King embroiled in police investigation over Rising Star bets

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/af...rising-star-bets/story-fni0fiyv-1227226025268

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-rising-star-bets-report-20150219-13jox9.html

Ex-North Melbourne footballer and AFL commentator David King is reportedly being investigated by Victoria Police over bets he made on the 2014 AFL Rising Star Award.

Victoria Police's sporting integrity unit is probing a number of successful bets Mr King made on last year's rookie-of-the-year award, Channel Seven reported.

King placed at least one three-figure bet on Brisbane Lion Lewis Taylor, who won the award by one vote from Western Bulldogs young gun Marcus Bontempelli.

For a media personality that is earning well why would you bet on an event that would draw scrutiny especially given its subjective nature and that the decision is known well before the event and is comprised of a small panel. With that said, I guess having inside knowledge on an event and the ability to earn "easy money" was the big carrot in his eyes on offer.

Not sure what Taylor's odds were but I presume its less than $10? I mean at most we are talking about is a $10k win.

Cant see the police winning this, it would take a member of the panel to indicate to them that they were stupid enough to pass inside knowledge to King (if that did happen) and thereby incriminating themselves.

alleged inside knowledge is the issue here. the size of one of the bets allegedly caused eyebrows to be raised, the Rising Star is not one that generally attracts larger bets on those outside the favorite by that time

9 TV personalities and administrators voted, King would know a lot of these. Imagine they've been interviewed with police involved.

I had to sign a no punting disclaimer when working in the industry, not sure if journos are under the same rules though as they don't directly affect the outcome of the game or related stats.

This is disturbing, not only because it would have been nice for a Bulldogs player to win the award, but because I stood to win a fair amount of money. Only a matter of time before more information is leaked regarding the controversial count.

9 TV personalities and administrators voted, King would know a lot of these. Imagine they've been interviewed with police involved.

I had to sign a no punting disclaimer when working in the industry, not sure if journos are under the same rules though as they don't directly affect the outcome of the game or related stats.
This is why he would be in the s**t. Nothing to do with size of bets, being able to push the names forward of players he has backed through the media.

Hidden agenda's and its a terrible look.

alleged inside knowledge is the issue here. the size of one of the bets allegedly caused eyebrows to be raised, the Rising Star is not one that generally attracts larger bets on those outside the favorite by that time

Reported on SEN today that on the day of the count it was leaked out that the AFL insisted the chief footy of the Brisbane Courier mail was advised to attend the court.

Also SEN replayed a grab from KIng on 07/08/2014 in which he declared Taylor his favorite for the Rising Star Award.

He really didn't think it out too well did he? He should have loaded up on a multi with Taylor into Hawthorn winning the flag.

We are assume guilt?

Perfect scenario would be to leak inside info on the fav on Fox Footy and wait for that to be plundered then dump on Taylor.

Well the betting agencies deserve what they get for betting on something where the result is known before the announcement. Its not like they let you on for much anyway. This investigation is a total waste of our tax payers money.

Why even have a market in the first place if the potential for a leak is real. Then again same could be said about sport itself with players throwing games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say it again - many in the footy industry backed Taylor - Why single out King.

Anyway if you are accredited AFL media you should be banned from betting on footy. Its simple.

I will say it again - many in the footy industry backed Taylor - Why single out King.

Anyway if you are accredited AFL media you should be banned from betting on footy. Its simple.

Not many others placed the bet the day they were told the winner

Wasn't Taylor one of the firm favourites from very early on in the season? He was hardly some outside bolter that came from nowhere late in the year.

Personally, I thought that Bontempelli didn't do enough, and the other contenders either weren't consistent or "sexy" enough, and Taylor was pretty much a shoe-in.

Wasn't Taylor one of the firm favourites from very early on in the season? He was hardly some outside bolter that came from nowhere late in the year.

Personally, I thought that Bontempelli didn't do enough, and the other contenders either weren't consistent or "sexy" enough, and Taylor was pretty much a shoe-in.

$34 in July

$34 in July

Yeah, in July, a couple of months before the season ended and the winner was announced. That price is probably reflective of how much money was being wagered at that stage, too. The more that is wagered, the more the odds shorten.

He was hardly a surprise winner on the night, or some late smokey. Everyone knew the season he had, even if people hadn't actually decided to bet on it months earlier.

Yeah, in July, a couple of months before the season ended and the winner was announced. That price is probably reflective of how much money was being wagered at that stage, too. The more that is wagered, the more the odds shorten.

He was hardly a surprise winner on the night, or some late smokey. Everyone knew the season he had, even if people hadn't actually decided to bet on it months earlier.

If King liked him and backed him there's no issue at all. However there is a massive issue you're missing and that is that there was a leak of the winner and King has placed bets on the winner the day he was told the winner by Fox Sports, 2 days before the public announcement. This is not just a bloke having a bet, this is a criminal matter where police are investigating whether inside information (King knowing the winner) has been used to attempt to defraud a company (Sportsbet).

The reason this is a criminal matter is listed in the article below:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...rising-star-bets/story-fnia3v71-1227226025268

Sportsbet, the outlet that took King’s bets, and other gambling outlets suspended betting in the Rising Star award on the afternoon on Monday, September 1 when operators reported excessive interest in Taylor. It was the same day Fox Footy staff were made aware of the results after signing nondisclosure forms — and the day King had lodged his bets

If unsure whether there was a leak, consider the following statement from the same article:

One unidentified punter requested a bet of $6000 on Taylor to win at $4.50, and when told that wouldn’t be accepted replied, “What about even money?”

Well the betting agencies deserve what they get for betting on something where the result is known before the announcement. Its not like they let you on for much anyway.

and by the same reasoning it's why its the sort of market I think punters should be very wary about backing - you are up against those with inside knowledge, so unless you are privy to that or think the books are going to lose a bundle best to let these through to the keeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back