Analysis David King: Why Collingwood can't beat Hawthorn

After Friday night, I think it is now clear that the word CAN'T can be removed from any future discussion about the Pies beating the Hawks. Hawthorn are no longer streets ahead, probably just a few metres now and the gap of previous years has now closed to a sliver from the chasm it once was.

After Friday night, I think it is now clear that the word CAN'T can be removed from any future discussion about the Pies beating the Hawks. Hawthorn are no longer streets ahead, probably just a few metres now and the gap of previous years has now closed to a sliver from the chasm it once was.

and With us improving and still young and Hawks getting Older. You think will keep getting closer

Ricky90

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The point I want to make was made well by Robroy on the last page. I think everyone should go back and read his post.

In that third quarter, had we gone 9.2 instead of 2.9, we would have killed them. Even in the fourth we would have beaten them again because once you sew up a win against a team like that you don't let go, you put them to the knife and watch them squirm.

David King was right. He was spot on as to why Hawthorn score so heavily against us and why they were a shoe in to win on Friday night. All of their scores were so effortless, just precise kicking over the top of our defenders to a man who'd only just been left loose by his defender. He wasn't right when he said we can't beat them.

We absolutely can beat them. And we will. I actually put money on us to win such was my confidence - not so much in that we'd win, but that we'd be there at the end and the $3.45 seemed like nice value given that. I'm not even worried about the loss of coin though, because my team is all that matters, we'll get them if not next time (finals), then definitely next year. We found the formula on Friday night, we know that should we torch them at the stoppages (which is an ability that is improving exponentially) then it's our footy to lose. Because Cloke and Elliot, down on form as he may be, are contested Kings. Even White, Fasolo and soon to be Moore don't mind a contest or a scrap.

Once that belief in our system comes, which may have happened, not entirely, but to a large degree over the last fortnight, then we'll start pulling off those flukey things like Hawthorn do, and like Geelong did for so long, and like we did in 2010 and 11. You create your own luck. And with the hard work we've quite evidently been putting in, luck will soon be spilling from our every orifice. That's when the composure happens. Winning the tight ones. Holding off the gallant efforts of our rivals.

I know I wax lyrical a bit here and there, but I'm extremely bullish on the direction of this list. I'm also very bullish on the game plan. I was someone who was expecting a 12-13 finish this year, but I'm floored by our endeavour and desire. I'm hesitant to say the last two weeks remind me of our first two games against Geelong and St Kilda in 2010 (both losses but a clear belief was grown in both games), but I'd be remiss not to at least mention it. We're not taking steps anymore, we're taking strides. A little bit of imrpovement here, and maybe a list adjustment there, and we can be the best again.

SOMEONE CALM ME DOWN!

Feb 28, 2007
north
AFL Club
Collingwood
People are definitely being over sensitive about this article. I've no problem with what he's said in it.

And as for his hit & miss analysis, well that's always going to be the case when you constantly putting your opinion up. At least he does instead of many who just play it safe and state the obvious. I don't always agree with his views and opinions, but at least he puts some thoughts into them and has more to say than everyone else.

As for the game. As far as losses go it's one I can accept for now. It's another game that shows where this club is headed and what the near future is going to look like. Must admit this year has a 07-09 kind of feel to it. Every time we play I don't know what's gunna happen. We could win against the best if we fire on all cylinders and we could lose against the middle tier if we don't come out firing. It's exciting and I'm enjoying the rollercoaster ride that our games are.

Pies_10

Premiership Player
May 29, 2007
Rosebud,Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal, Baltimore Ravens
People are definitely being over sensitive about this article. I've no problem with what he's said in it.

And as for his hit & miss analysis, well that's always going to be the case when you constantly putting your opinion up. At least he does instead of many who just play it safe and state the obvious. I don't always agree with his views and opinions, but at least he puts some thoughts into them and has more to say than everyone else.

As for the game. As far as losses go it's one I can accept for now. It's another game that shows where this club is headed and what the near future is going to look like. Must admit this year has a 07-09 kind of feel to it. Every time we play I don't know what's gunna happen. We could win against the best if we fire on all cylinders and we could lose against the middle tier if we don't come out firing. It's exciting and I'm enjoying the rollercoaster ride that our games are.
Wow definitely think the same on the 07-09 feel about the season, in 07 I didn't even think that we'd be any good however could of beaten Geelong and only lost by 5 in the prelim and from 5th too if I call correctly.
Not saying we are going to the prelim like 07, but the side is developing a lot quicker than anyone expected even the club IMO.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory

Yeah, people are entitled to their opinions just like you are. This is more about the muppet King than the article. I think we are all clever enough to know where we are as a club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back