Universal Love David Mackay Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You forgot Luke Jericho, a WW favourite.

At least he didn't bore us to death with on of his self indulgent posts on how brilliant a talent spotter he is - errr, hang on...
That must have been before my time.

What WW can't get through his big head the beef with DMack was not the lack of talent but the fulfilling of that talent. We are seeing but have had to wait a long long time.

It seems like he's one of the few players in our squad that will consistently lower their eyes and pick out targets in the 50. He's also having a greater scoreboard impact than previous years, he's already almost eclipsed his career high in goals (in a single season).

I think most of us are pleased with DMac's 2014 season thus far however one good half season does not exonerate David for the previous 2-3 lean seasons

David is now 25, played 100+ games and rightfully so is now in that phase of his playing career where he should be producing his best and most consistent footy......

Really there should be no excuses just good performances

I agee TSR. Lets hope McKays form for the next 100 games matches his 2014 form and not his 2013 form.

how does mackay get to our top 10 when he plays a non statistical role:confused:
It essentially means he doesn't do much wrong. When he disposes it's usually advantageous, he doesn't give away many free kicks, he actually averages around 4 tackles per game. It's just that he doesn't do enough.

What a joke. Arguably our top 10.
Walker, Jacobs, Talia, Sloane, Betts, Thompson, Smith, Brad Crouch, Lynch, Jenkins

Mackay is somewhere between van berlo and sam shaw. 24-34.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It essentially means he doesn't do much wrong. When he disposes it's usually advantageous, he doesn't give away many free kicks, he actually averages around 4 tackles per game. It's just that he doesn't do enough.

Also, don't forget that the player ratings require the last 40 games to be played to post a decent score.

5 players from our Elimination Final squad hadn't played 40 games (Atkins, Cameron, M. Crouch, Hartigan, Knight), so their scores won't stack up, and another 2 had barely played more (Cheney, Laird).

In fact simply posting our squad by games played, it's easy to see how someone like Mackay would have played the last 40 games and made the top 10.

(Top 10 for us in bold)
  1. Thompson
  2. Betts
  3. Van Berlo
  4. Douglas
  5. [Dangerfield]
  6. Mackay
  7. Jacobs
  8. Sloane
  9. Walker
  10. Talia
  11. Smith
  12. Henderson
  13. Brown
  14. Jenkins
  15. Lynch
  16. Laird
  17. Cheney
  18. Cameron
  19. Hartigan
  20. M. Crouch
  21. Knight
  22. Atkins
It's then easy to say that:
  • Van Berlo is not top 10 because he missed 2014 through injury
  • Talia and Brown are lockdown defenders, which typically score less.
  • Henderson is in and out of the team
  • The bottom players are all young
So it's not surprising to see these rankings

Ranking based on Historical statistics. Quantitative over Qualitative.

Not surprised with VB and McKay's ranking.

vr8mw.jpg

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-02-11/duo-rated-in-top-dozen

This should stir the MacKay hayters. Scroll to the Crows list at the bottom. Way better than D Talia, for one, obviously.

Once you factor in our quality players who don't feature well in these rankings, list changes from last year and the lack of games played by our injured, young and fringe players, it's really no surprise that Mackay is ranked where he is relative to his team mates.

pretty sure he ended up being dropped late last year. did tambling play the final round ahead of him, not sure to be honest. anyway, he has been a lot better this year. what i've liked a lot is that he seems to be hitting the congestion a lot harder and at a good pace. this gives him a much better chance to break from the contest or gain the extra couple of metres required to gain a bit of time. would also suggest that he's playing more of a wing role than the hbf that he largely failed at for a fair bit last year. but he certainly deserves his spot. he might have gotten a bit worried being the next most logical whipping boy in line, but i doubt there'd be many that don't think he thoroughly deserves his spot in the team right now.

Hey Kane McGoodwin just shows it's not a pathological dislike for the player.

But apparently if we lose Mackay at years end, it's a nothing loss :rolleyes:

So a side that was lacking pace has supporters gladly GIVING him away and saying good riddance :rolleyes: .......it simply never amazes me anymore

How those rolly eyes looking now. Yeah, 2015 would have been a disaster without him.

Is it just me or are others getting sick of all the Mackay bashing? Right now he is a Crow. Right now he has a chance to get back to his best and assist us moving forward. Can't we pick on something else....like the Powa?

It's really the list manager who extended him and the selectors who rank him about 25th on a per game basis that keep selecting him that we are bashing. Mackay is just an average 24th-34th type player who has been overpaid and overselected. Not his fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back