Remove this Banner Ad

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Thought it would be a great idea to try and keep most of the discussion in here, instead of ongoing pages in the EPL threads after every disappointing result.

Is he the right man for the job but just needs time or is he out of his depth?

How much should Fergie and the board be blamed despite leaving him a title winning squad?

What needs to happen/change?

Fergie is partially responsible for it IMO. Left Moyes a team full of footballers past their best and signed players like RVP clearly to win the title in his last season before retiring.

Moyes has done well with Januzajai & getting Rooney playing well but has struggled to motivate the rest of the playing group. There doesn't seem to be much of a thought process about his 2 new signings Fellaini & Mata either.

Fellaini and Mata are proven Premier League performers. I don't think you can call them 'thoughtless' signings. They could turn out to be absolute flops but the justifications were sound.

He's only been there half a season and although the signs are worrying, he should see the season out, and then given the next season to see how he goes with more players that he wants. Carrying on Fergie's legacy is an unenviable task and Moyes should be given time to see what he can really do - although I understand fans of other clubs are certainly hoping Moyes gets more time too.

It doesn't help that their squad needs to be almost entirely overhauled.

That's probably a popular view amongst even United supporters. Cleverley, Evra and Valencia are three that need to be seriously considered to be moved on, amongst others. The only ones that are untouchable are probably Rooney, RVP, Januzaj, DDG and Rafael.

he's not actually a very good manager. he's great at jumping about and gesturing, but he doesn't have a clue. his subs are terrible, if they even happen, his tactics are just dreadful, and his one big transfer before mata has been a disaster. his style of play is horrible to watch, his comments to the media reek of midtable moyes, and really, he's just not very good. just because he was fergie's chosen one doesn't mean squat. he's crap.

The concern is not that he hasn't gotten us playing all star football, it's that we are unable to dig in and get a draw/sneak a win. Which is what you would hope for based on what he had done previously with supposed lesser talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on @NFGKizza. Ferguson hand picking him probably had more to do with their close friendship than Moyes actually being the best man for the job in my opinion.

Also, this idea that he had Everton overachieving is rubbish and I said this from the start. Everton were the 6th-8th wealthiest club in England during Moyes' time there and funnily enough they consistently finished around 6th-8th under his very conservative management.

Martinez has come in and in 6 months had them playing better and more attractive football than anything Moyes could manage in his 10 years there.

All I can say is hopefully it takes the United board a few seasons to figure all of this out.

If it's the old David Moyes he would be far more pragmatic and throw someone like Fellaini or Welbeck up front or whatever and just hoof it straight at them

But this is Manchester United, he knows he can't do that, so he just serves up this purposeless football coz he clearly doesn't know how to get a side playing actual football

Yeah you might think they are already hoofing it quite a bit, but absolutely not, this is nothing like that Everton side that just launches it, atm they are cultured by comparison

That same squad won the title just a few months before. What a difference a new season, or a new Manager, appears to make.
It's incredible. But I still maintain that they had a lot of luck last season, even if they were the most consistent side and deserved the title. A lot of things went their way within games which isn't happening this season.

You only have to look at a lot of the comments coming out of Goodison Park to see how quickly they've moved on and realized how much Moyes was actually holding them back.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Moyes getting the job wasn't solely based on Ferguson's advice, it also had a lot to do with other targets not want to be the ones to follow immediately after him, win the EPL and you've done it on the back of Ferguson's good work, fail to perform and people want your head.

The United squad needed work and that was never going to be solved overnight. They were also never going to sack Moyes during the season, my gut is he will get to start next season, but fail to make a good start and he is likely to be looking for a job by the end of November.

Everton are the real winners in all this

Absolutely.

I guess most people thought he wouldn't be as conservative with a better squad but that's far from the case so far. Now he is feeling the pressure that comes with not performing and he seems to want it play extra safe.

Absolutely.

I guess most people thought he wouldn't be as conservative with a better squad but that's far from the case so far. Now he is feeling the pressure that comes with not performing and he seems to want it play extra safe.

Not quite what I meant. Everton would never have fired Moyes on the results that he was getting, but the net result is that they now have Martinez (who I rate far higher) as their manager and are reaping the rewards of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back