Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with the lowering the eyes criticisms at all either. One of the primary reasons he's so damaging is that he's probably rivalling Hurn as having the most penetrating offensive kick in the AFL; I'd prefer to see him bursting from packs, as he does, and hammering 60m, flat passes into our forward line than drilling a short pass and allowing us to reset.

Well get used to it.. lowering the eyes is the key to modern footy.

No point bombing in 60m to a pack in F50 or worse still.. to the spare man in defence (or +1).

Myers needs to keep taking the extra second to find the right target then thump the ball onto the chest of the leading forward who has made space.. that is lowering the eyes and moves Myers from a B grade player to A grade.

No point bombing in 60m to a pack in F50 or worse still.. to the spare man in defence (or +1).

Myers needs to keep taking the extra second to find the right target then thump the ball onto the chest of the leading forward who has made space.. that is lowering the eyes and moves Myers from a B grade player to A grade.

not against short passing, just the buzz term of lowering the eyes.. its a dermie special

shouldnt they call it refocussing the eyes? its all in the same viewing space, just in different range. i'm looking straight ahead and everything infront of me can be seen without lowering my eyes, i lower my eyes to tie my shoe laces.

sorry for the semantics ;)

not against short passing, just the buzz term of lowering the eyes.. its a dermie special

shouldnt they call it refocussing the eyes? its all in the same viewing space, just in different range. i'm looking straight ahead and everything infront of me can be seen without lowering my eyes, i lower my eyes to tie my shoe laces.

sorry for the semantics ;)

Although to be quite technical, we do tend to look on a 'downward' angle when we are use 'short field' vision, and look higher for 'long field'.. hence bi-focals (yes the good old ones) had the arrangement they did.. so it can, medically, be suggested that if you are looking 'short' you are 'lowering' your eye angle.

I'd still rather this than "stick/stuck to our structures".

So hard to credit any but the top handful of AFL sides with a structure when you go to the game and see a 36 person rolling mall following the ball around.

Other than getting a better feel for how hard certain players work and a better idea of our forward structure I really don't enjoy going to the games all that much. At least on TV I can trick myself into thinking that the play looks to be more than it is.

Having said that I haven't seen us live this year and it could be quite interesting to get a broader look at how we move the ball (compared with last year).

I think that point is that there is nothing Myers is doing now that suggests he needs to "lower his eyes"
more than anyone else. There are also times when the long kick is a calculated risk that is called for and just because it comes off doesn't mean it was a poor decision.

Although to be quite technical, we do tend to look on a 'downward' angle when we are use 'short field' vision, and look higher for 'long field'.. hence bi-focals (yes the good old ones) had the arrangement they did.. so it can, medically, be suggested that if you are looking 'short' you are 'lowering' your eye angle.

you got me there! but i feel we have fallen off course ;)

Played with Dave back at PSA for Wesley College and was apart of numerous other teams such as athletics and swimming. Caught the bus too and from school with him a couple of times.

Always been a leader (was given our Vice head of school and only because he didnt want the major role due to his football and time commitments he left it for someone else where he was the clear winner).

Was more of a 400m runner at school and involved in 4x100m relays just getting into his age groups team. Racing Rance. Didnt touch a weight when he was at school, told me he wanted his body to develop and grow as much as it could. So he was always quite skinny played all over the ground mainly midfield and forward for our school but at the state level only across halfback. Was a midfielder/half back down at Perth.

Hed be a great guy to have down at the club. Not only a leader but can certainly enjoy his time was known for wearing short shorts, fluro headbands, high socks down at school athletic comps.

IMO from what i know, Dave should be our next captain. Hes bulked up alot since lifting weights at the dons and will be an elite inside midfielder for time to come.

Hed also be great with brand new faces and young guys. He had a calming influence and was always willing to go out of his way to talk to everyone that asked. Certainly not a big headed arrogant type. Also goes pretty well academically.

I always thought he had a couple of downsides to his game that might be magnified at AFL level. Strength - was never strong but maybe because he didnt lift any weights, Fitness - Would never do that well in cross country, So left sided - I think this has found him out in the past.

Hes the takeover from Jobe, not only as an onball driver through the engine room but a leader of the club.

He certainly had his chance to go back home but his re signing continues to tell me more about why he should be our next captain. Has a GF back in perth that he couldve gone home to but chose against that because he sees a real realistic opportunity for him in a couple of years time.

Last edited:
in respect to the lowering of the eyes, looking for a shorter target....

i have this tiny worry, and its only small, that at the moment Jobe is trying extra hard to find the obscure party trick handball rather than the simple kick.

I know the special players have the ability to bring others into the game and find a move that the opposition dosent see coming - and this is a strength he has... but i have found myself of late saying outloud, kick it jobe!

I hope he isnt getting a little too cute, sometimes i love the huge Myers boot forward, it can relieve alot of pressure to clear the zone and reboot from our half (if we havent scored from it)

in respect to the lowering of the eyes, looking for a shorter target....

i have this tiny worry, and its only small, that at the moment Jobe is trying extra hard to find the obscure party trick handball rather than the simple kick.

I know the special players have the ability to bring others into the game and find a move that the opposition dosent see coming - and this is a strength he has... but i have found myself of late saying outloud, kick it jobe!

I hope he isnt getting a little too cute, sometimes i love the huge Myers boot forward, it can relieve alot of pressure to clear the zone and reboot from our half (if we havent scored from it)
Reading this i realised the same thing, sometimes Jobe takes bloody ages to release the ball and when he pulls off the tricks it's genius, but i would rather he just keep it simple and just get the game moving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think he really has a problem 'lowering the eyes' from what I've seen. That pass against west coast last year to Carlisle was one of the best kicks I've ever seen. Happy for him to kick it long out of the middle as it puts a lot of pressure on the opposition defence

So hard to credit any but the top handful of AFL sides with a structure when you go to the game and see a 36 person rolling mall following the ball around.

Other than getting a better feel for how hard certain players work and a better idea of our forward structure I really don't enjoy going to the games all that much. At least on TV I can trick myself into thinking that the play looks to be more than it is.

Having said that I haven't seen us live this year and it could be quite interesting to get a broader look at how we move the ball (compared with last year).
It's strange how a game that television is so incapable of fully communicating can often look better on screen.

GRIFFEN%20Ryan.jpg

he centered his eyes, so he can use the corridor more frequently ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back