Review David Noble - Smooth Operator, or Scourge of God?

Is David Noble...

• a Smooth Operator?

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • the Scourge Of God?

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • he's no Phil Harper, that's for sure

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not quite the Chuck Norris to current day Van Berlo fall on Bigfooty but I've noticed it to. Probably given so many roles that somethings bound to not turnout as we'd like so its easy to criticize. Maybe its that everybody else is better so he doesn't stand out above everyone else?

If we knew what his role was and he wasn't filling in other roles I think we'd be happy with his work, this shirt excluded...

nobes.jpg

Aug 12, 2004
Not in Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC, Arsenal
I think its an excellent question. I like him and when you speak to him, you feel like he knows what hes talking about. He says some quite good things and I feel he is a genuine bloke who makes good decisions.

My feeling is though that he is also the nominated deliverer of bad news and controversial announcements. Phil Walsh was happy to do it himself.

Not a 100% sure though whether he is part of the problem or the solution.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do feel for Noble in one way. Eg when we were going to front-end a bunch of contracts and roll forward the Tippett money to create a war chest. Obviously this was another lie from Trigg/Chapman. Despite our "war chest" we had to off-load Vince and delist Tambling just to afford Betts

Are you talking cap space or bank account?

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Not quite the Chuck Norris to current day Van Berlo fall on Bigfooty but I've noticed it to. Probably given so many roles that somethings bound to not turnout as we'd like so its easy to criticize. Maybe its that everybody else is better so he doesn't stand out above everyone else?

If we knew what his role was and he wasn't filling in other roles I think we'd be happy with his work, this shirt excluded...

View attachment 156663
Hehe that shirt he is wearing has got all sorts of yuk going on. Inducing excessive production of bile. Must stop looking.

SES SA

All Australian
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

View attachment 156663

Smooth as *.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good overall despite some blunders.

I do feel for Noble in one way. Eg when we were going to front-end a bunch of contracts and roll forward the Tippett money to create a war chest. Obviously this was another lie from Trigg/Chapman. Despite our "war chest" we had to off-load Vince and delist Tambling just to afford Betts so our war chest amount was $0.00. We took the opportunity to pay minimum salary cap to minimise our financial losses, which left Noble hamstrung. Plus at one stage we had him doing multiple jobs rather than shelling out a few dollars to bring in decent support.

Good coach + Dangerfield + a recruit + what we have now and we're bloody well placed.

Hang on, we off-loaded Vince because we had to get back into the draft because we lost our first 2 picks over the Tippett fiasco, didn't we? And we delisted Tambling because he was s**t - you want to talk trade/recruiting blunders made by our club, giving up the 1st round compensation pick we got for Bock in exchange for Tambling was an absolute howler. Arguably the worst trade in our club's history. What did we get out of him? Something like 10 or 11 games in 2 years?

And as far as Danger goes, I don't think Noble really has much control over that one way or the other if it really is a matter of go home to family or stay here with his mates. Unless Noble has a daughter he can marry off to Danger in order to become part of his family, it's pretty much out of his hands and entirely in Danger's.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
It's a big stretch to say we delisted Tambling and traded Vince for cap space.

We were offering Tippett almost 900k to stay in 2012. How did that space disappear, that we needed to delist/trade 2 playerd to afford Betts?
That space disappeared because we chose not to use it

Tippett played for us in 2012. It was 2013 and beyond that we were offering him even bigger money. It all happened so late at the end of 2012 that we couldn't immediately fill up our squad with $900k worth of recruits so we were left with a hole.

What the club lead us to believe is that we would restructure other payments to soak up Tipett's 2013 money meaning more cap space in 2014 and 2015.

Then the war chest would be this freed up cap space plus the planned 2014 Tippett money and the 2015 Tippett money. So some really significant dollars. If we did what we said we would, we would have been able to offer a marquee player a two year deal at the end of 2013 for $2.7m.

What happened instead was that we got Betts (good) but at the same time delisted Tambling (who was on $1m over three seasons) and Vince which combined basically paid for Betts by itself. So this "war chest" didn't actually exist.

We hadn't used the Tippett situation to create anything of value for the club. Had instead paid minimum cap and rolled forward no contracts.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hang on, we off-loaded Vince because we had to get back into the draft because we lost our first 2 picks over the Tippett fiasco, didn't we? And we delisted Tambling because he was s**t - you want to talk trade/recruiting blunders made by our club, giving up the 1st round compensation pick we got for Bock in exchange for Tambling was an absolute howler. Arguably the worst trade in our club's history. What did we get out of him? Something like 10 or 11 games in 2 years?
You haven't understood what I'm saying.

Delisting Tambling - good decision. Was on $1m over three seasons so freed up $333k in the cap.

Trading Vince - again, good decision. Not sure what he was on but I'd estimate more than Tambling. Let's say it freed up $350k in the cap plus netted us a draft pick.

So when we recruited Betts (again, good decision) we were able to afford his $500k per season purely on savings made by delisting Tambling and Vince. This mythical war chest had no bearing on our ability to recruit players. There was no war chest. It was a lie.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
What happened instead was that we got Betts (good) but at the same time delisted Tambling (who was on $1m over three seasons) and Vince which combined basically paid for Betts by itself. So this "war chest" didn't actually exist.
Didn't exist? Or didn't use? .... Yet.
With all of the players coming out of contract this year is it possible we have used some to retain Walker, Sloane and perhaps Dangerfield, in addition offer J Cameron a trunk load of cash?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Didn't exist? Or didn't use? .... Yet.
With all of the players coming out of contract this year is it possible we have used some to retain Walker, Sloane and perhaps Dangerfield, in addition offer J Cameron a trunk load of cash?
We could certainly have been rolling it forward all this time.

I think it more likely that the player managers of our existing list had a picnic piling a few extra bucks on the top knowing that we'd bend because we had the space.

If we keep Danger and land a recruit then we certainly must have been managing the cap well and I'll take it all back. Waiting three years to spend this windfall is certainly not ideal but better late than never.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Ridiculous thread. Noble has been one guy who has stood up while those around him have ****ed up. He's worn 100 caps in all parts of the footy department and spent a lot of his time cleaning up the mess Trigg left behind. Getting us into the mini draft was very solid stuff, and engineering our draft repositioning last year was too.

A keeper.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Ridiculous thread. Noble has been one guy who has stood up while those around him have stuffed up. He's worn 100 caps in all parts of the footy department and spent a lot of his time cleaning up the mess Trigg left behind. Getting us into the mini draft was very solid stuff, and engineering our draft repositioning last year was too.

A keeper.
More thoughts on his shirt required.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I want to know the rationale between the Reilly / Mackay / VB contracts, and even Hendo.

Were they Noble, or were they a directive from the gunshy top to try and avoid losing anymore players?

I think Bailey's issue was the club not doing anything out of respect for Bailey and his family. Kind of hamstrung. Professional Organisation yes but would have been smashed out of AFL footy for employing someone while he was alive.

That is ridiculous.

Nobody would've smashed us; that's like saying we shouldn't have replaced Walsh, out of respect.

You don't deliberately cripple an organisation 'out of respect' - when there is nothing disrespectful about replacing someone who can't fulfil their role - for whatever reason.

You did what we did this time; getting on with the job doesn't mean disrespecting anyone.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
I want to know the rationale between the Reilly / Mackay / VB contracts, and even Hendo.

Were they Noble, or were they a directive from the gunshy top to try and avoid losing anymore players?

That is ridiculous.

Nobody would've smashed us; that's like saying we shouldn't have replaced Walsh, out of respect.

You don't deliberately cripple an organisation 'out of respect' - when there is nothing disrespectful about replacing someone who can't fulfil their role - for whatever reason.

You did what we did this time; getting on with the job doesn't mean disrespecting anyone.

Use the context of my quote please. I said when he was ALIVE as the whole basis of my statement.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont mind him, but starting to have doubts. I liked the trade period where we got crouch in the mini draft, Jenkins and Lynch. I thought there was some pro active and creative trading there.

Theres a few black marks though. I was pretty filthy on our list make up this year. No backup ruck, short on KPPs, running mids, overloaded on inside mids. KPP predicament is probably due to Johnston and SMACK failing, plus Otten's knee. Ruck/mid situation was poor management imo, and we scrambled this year to correct it. Still some work to be done.

Also:-
I think he got schooled by Hawthorn twice, first the Gunston deal, then Cheney- they wouldnt budge on the Gunston pick, but made us cough up 31 for Cheney. I would have liked to see us keep 31 and use 35 in the trade.
Angus Graham.
Using Angus Graham as proof that people want to come and play for us o_O
4 years Mookay- diabolical
Poor shirt

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
You haven't understood what I'm saying.

Delisting Tambling - good decision. Was on $1m over three seasons so freed up $333k in the cap.

Trading Vince - again, good decision. Not sure what he was on but I'd estimate more than Tambling. Let's say it freed up $350k in the cap plus netted us a draft pick.

So when we recruited Betts (again, good decision) we were able to afford his $500k per season purely on savings made by delisting Tambling and Vince. This mythical war chest had no bearing on our ability to recruit players. There was no war chest. It was a lie.

Um The majority of Tamblings contract was paid by Richmond. They paid us to take him off their hands. So stop banding about his salary amounts as if we paid it, we paid a lot less of his contract than what you are stating. If there is no war chest, why were we able to offer a lot more to Cameron than what GWS ended up paying him?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Um The majority of Tamblings contract was paid by Richmond. They paid us to take him off their hands. So stop banding about his salary amounts as if we paid it, we paid a lot less of his contract than what you are stating. If there is no war chest, why were we able to offer a lot more to Cameron than what GWS ended up paying him?
Tambling's Richmond deal had two years to run. The third year was all us. We were paying 100% of his contract by then.

The alleged Cameron offer (from 2016 onwards) is three full seasons after the supposed windfall came about. We "might" have been rolling the money forward all that time and chosen to forego having good 2014 and 2015 seasons just because we like losing (which would be inept in itself but that's another story) but this will only be proven if we land a significant recruit plus Dangerfield at the end of this year.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Tambling's Richmond deal had two years to run. The third year was all us. We were paying 100% of his contract by then.

The alleged Cameron offer (from 2016 onwards) is three full seasons after the supposed windfall came about. We "might" have been rolling the money forward all that time and chosen to forego having good 2014 and 2015 seasons just because we like losing (which would be inept in itself but that's another story) but this will only be proven if we land a significant recruit plus Dangerfield at the end of this year.

So now we we only paid for Tambling for one season. What was that salary at? The 1 million you quote is to do with his richmond contract. So what is the third year figure?

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing I have been told about Noble (and I rate him) - he can be very tough to deal with from a player contract/negotiation point of view.

Well, tough to deal with compared to other guys in his position at other clubs. Whether that's like a sharing of information thing, or being tough to get a meeting with etc, I'm not sure? Given who that opinion came from, I wasn't really sure what to make of it as a supporter...

I once had the AFC recruiting team in general described to me as: c***y.
Did mackay want 5 years?

Back