Oppo Camp David Swallow staying North until at least the end of 2024, AFTER WHICH he becomes (?) a NMFC player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey7

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NORTH midfielder Andrew Swallow jokes that Melbourne may be too cold for his younger brother David. But he dares to dream about playing alongside the Gold Coast's No.1 draft choice one day.
"It's something down the track that would be great," Swallow said.
"We're both locked in to the next couple of years to our clubs (until 2013). When it gets a bit closer we'll see if it's possible.
"I'd definitely like to play with him at some stage, and Mum and Dad would love it and Dave is pretty keen as well.
"We'll wait and see, but hopefully at the Kangas would be nice."
Roos coach Brad Scott suggested recently he would make a strong bid to lure the younger Swallow to the club.

At the end of last season the established Swallow resisted more lucrative offers to remain at Arden St.
He is confident success awaits for the Roos.
"There were positives and negatives about staying and going, but in the end I'm really happy being at the club and really enjoy Brad (Scott) being coach," Swallow said.
"We're going to have a really successful four or five years and maybe more ahead. I was really keen on staying here and I enjoy Melbourne.
"It's also great working with the midfield group. They're pretty young and I look forward to seeing them develop."
The Swallow boys grew up in Perth with father Ian, an accountant, and mother Alice, a nurse. They were recruited from East Fremantle.
Ian said it would be a delight to see two of his four sons playing in the same team.
"I would love it at some point and if it can't be in Perth, I'd prefer it to be in Melbourne," he said.
"Andrew is married and he's happy in Melbourne, and David is loving the weather and lifestyle on the Gold Coast and they're a young group growing up together there.
"David's like a Nathan Buckley or Robert Harvey who just trains so hard and wants to be the best he can be. I think the team will prove a lot of people wrong and be very competitive.
"Under the system now they couldn't play together, but in 2013 they'll have a choice to make."
The parents have pencilled in Round 12 - Gold Coast v North Melbourne at Carrara - as the potential season highlight.
"That'll be an easy one for us," Swallow Sr said.
"We'll just say guys we love you, do your very best and we won't worry about the result. It should be a great game."
2 comments on this story

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Re: David Swallow to North - Official Thread 2013

"I'd definitely like to play with him at some stage, and Mum and Dad would love it and Dave is pretty keen as well.

A betting man would frame North as the favorites with Andrew becoming the next captain at Arden Street (as soon as next season).

As great as it would be to have David come to us, these things are always very hard to arrange. If he kicks on at GC as is expected, it would have to be a massive trade. And the prospect of losing Andrew is there as well. If we make the finals and are on the verge of a top 4 tilt, I can't see Andrew leaving.

Joey7

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

We need to get him from a playing perspective but also from a club perspective. If we land a big fish/superstar it speaks volumes about how far the club has come. 4-5 years ago noone wanted to come to North. Things are changing and this will be huge for the club.

SweetLeftFoot

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees

We'd have to give up shitloads for him. But if he's out of contract and nominates us as his preferred destination ...

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne

.......Dave is pretty keen as well.

Roos coach Brad Scott suggested recently he would make a strong bid to lure the younger Swallow to the club.

If that doesn't fill you with optimism, then I don't know what will.

This is on the drawing board at North, and I won't be the least bit surprised if it happens.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Sorry to burst the media bubble but David is loving the Coast, I spoke to him at the family day on the weekend where he specifically stated that "living up here sure beats what my brothers doing" to which both I and Harro had a good chuckle. Sounds to me like little Bro may be the one courting Big Bro.

I guess time will tell.

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sorry to burst the media bubble but David is loving the Coast, I spoke to him at the family day on the weekend where he specifically stated that "living up here sure beats what my brothers doing" to which both I and Harro had a good chuckle. Sounds to me like little Bro may be the one courting Big Bro.

I guess time will tell.

I spoke to him last night on the phone and he told me that waiting around until 2016 for the Gold Coast window to arrive would be a waste of time considering North will be genuine contenders from 2014 onwards.

He's very much looking forward to coming to North in 2013 and being involved in a real football club.

Brady Rawlings number 3 jumper is waiting for him.

Sorry, but that's just how it is. The deal has been done.

I guess time will tell.

Of course he'd be loving it. I'd love it up there too, but not necessarily full time.

The point being, if we are pushing for top 4 with a young team by 2013 (which I expect us to be) and Andrew is a captain of the side (which I expect him to be) he won't be moving anywhere.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

I guess time will tell.

Geeze what a letdown.

Scrap Operation Swallow Jr immediately. If there's one thing you can depend on it's a footballer confiding his long term plans to a supporter at a family day.

SweetLeftFoot

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees

I guess time will tell.

Well, Spitta and his dad are quoted in the paper saying the opposite.

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Geeze what a letdown.

Scrap Operation Swallow Jr immediately. If there's one thing you can depend on it's a footballer confiding his long term plans to a supporter at a family day.

LOL.

Would any of the talented photoshoppers out there like to have a crack at morphing Daves noggin on a North player?

_DavidSwallow_246a.jpg

I want to get a preview of how he is going to look in a North jumper.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

Given that we're making the running on this, I hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the bum.

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Gee, that article was a ncie read. All one way traffic to North by the sounds of things. Of course David is going to stay at GC for the first 3-4 years. Young, good looking bloke, hanging out by the sand and sun, but at the end of the day, both want to play with each other, both have said they want to play with each other, Mum and Dad want it to be in Melbourne, Andrew will soon be captain and North will be pressing while Andrew is captain.

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Let's break this down to the established points.

- Andrew loves North to the point where he turned his back on a truck load more money to stay at the club.

- Andrew is pretty much an unbackable favorite to be the clubs next captain.

- Andrew has declared that he wants to play AFL with his brother at North.

- David has declared that he wants to play AFL with his brother.

- The boys parents have declared they would love to see the boys play together.

Logical concusion: If anyone is going anywhere, it is David to North.

Andrew is pretty much an unbackable favorite to be the clubs next captain.

I wouldn't go that far. Club seems to have huge wraps on Petrie's leadership.

I'm obviously in favour of Swallow being the next captain though, as indicated on Bigfooty all the way back in 2006, 5 whole years prior to you joining this site*

*on your 6th alias

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne

True SLF, I don't know the future but apparently some of your more umm lets say colourful fellow North posters do.

Either way best of luck to you in season 2011

Wow man, you come across as if you are genuinely cut.:)

Keep your chin up Tiger, no one is going to let the GC fail altogether.:thumbsu:

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Wow man, you come across as if you are genuinely cut.:)

Keep your chin up Tiger, no one is going to let the GC fail altogether.:thumbsu:

Ummm yes, my previous post is full of venom and anger, I thought the "good luck in 2011" was a particularly nasty comment on my behalf.

PS, interesting that you picked up that I was talking about you when I mentioned which North posters I feel are an embarrassment to your Club. I honestly thought that may go over your head, well done Gold star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back