David Warner named Australian Vice-Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/a/29265546/steven-smith-named-australias-new-test-captain/

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...-michael-clarke-steve-smith-deputy/2015-08-14

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ralia-as-new-vicecaptain-20150814-gizhk6.html

Steve Smith has been confirmed as the new captain of Australia, David Warner as vice-captain.

Personally, I am not a fan of having Warner as vc, some of his behaviour on and off the field isn't too positive and I don't think he is a good role model your our next generation.

Quite simply it was a case of there is no-one else. When you look at the team we will take into Bangladesh and the Australian summer who is in the side apart from Smith and Warner who is guaranteed to be there all summer? I can't see anyone, Lyon would be the closest to being safe. When you consider what would you do if Smith is injured there is no other choice.

Quite simply it was a case of there is no-one else. When you look at the team we will take into Bangladesh and the Australian summer who is in the side apart from Smith and Warner who is guaranteed to be there all summer? I can't see anyone, Lyon would be the closest to being safe. When you consider what would you do if Smith is injured there is no other choice.
A friend considered the same scenario...imagine Smith injures himself and misses a whole summer. Are we really going to go into five Tests with Warner as captain? I get the premise that there seems no one suitable, but if Smith couldn't captain this summer, for example, I would much rather Voges or Nevill take charge than Warner.

Last edited:
Horrible decision but given the lingering (and unjustified) doubt around Lyon's permenancy in the team, there was no other choice.

Make no mistake ladies and gents, for the next few years Australian cricket is going to be in a trough only paralleled by the mid 80's.

I look forward to his incisive tactical advice - he will be used by Smith to determine which players have "scared eyes".

He's just keeping the vice-captain spot warm for Mitch Marsh for a few years.

Honestly don't have the problem with it.
Mitch Marsh has been labelled a potential leader for years, but I have to admit, I haven't really seen it. Not to say he won't be able to do it, but I don't see any convincing reason yet for such optimism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, so if SS goes down, Warner is left to steer the ship?

I guess we'd be stuffed anyway so * it, why not

Horrible decision but given the lingering (and unjustified) doubt around Lyon's permenancy in the team, there was no other choice.

Make no mistake ladies and gents, for the next few years Australian cricket is going to be in a trough only paralleled by the mid 80's.

Plus of course Lyon is an even worse option than Warner for the Captaincy.

Ben Dorries article. Lol
Is there a particular reason to dismiss the article? Does he have it in for Warner or something? I don't know his record.

But if there is any truth to the idea that he is unpopular with a significant portion of the team, it makes it an even more unusual appointment. I'm not a fan of giving it to him by default.

Given we are losing most of the side after the tour what does 'half the team' really mean? If him and Smith didn't get on he wouldn't have got the VC so who left in the side doesn't like him? Seems like an article full of assumptions to dig up some controversy. Sure Warner is a dope but appointing anyone else would've been an obvious question of trust.

If Smith gets injured I would like to see Voges play as Captain or even bring someone like Bailey in specifically for the job

Given we are losing most of the side after the tour what does 'half the team' really mean? If him and Smith didn't get on he wouldn't have got the VC so who left in the side doesn't like him? Seems like an article full of assumptions to dig up some controversy. Sure Warner is a dope but appointing anyone else would've been an obvious question of trust.

He's a dope with a big ego and loves the sound of his own voice.

Sounds like a bog standard modern pro cricketer.

I don't care as long as he scores runs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back