Movie Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw it and it reminded me a lot of Avata, great special effects but as boring as bat crap, almost fell asleep a couple of times in the first half. reminded me of an old western movie, just substitute the humans for western settlers and the apes for Indians and the story is all the same, should've waited till you could hire it at a DVD shop for $2

I thought it was above the average movie, so well enough to potentially go to the cinema for this one.

My main gripe with Dawn of the planet of the apes was how slow it became sometimes..... but others who have seen it might say it's just my dodgy attention span :confused:. The story itself is actually pretty good.

My main gripe with Dawn of the planet of the apes was how slow it became sometimes..... but others who have seen it might say it's just my dodgy attention span :confused:. The story itself is actually pretty good.
Agree with that but so was that new Transformers movie? Except that movie had action throughout most of the movie and it was still somehow boring?

I have not seen and no intention to ever watch the new Transformers movie, i learned my lesson after giving the second and third films a chance after watching the first :D.

I think Dawn is a good movie. But i've never been a huge fan of the franchise despite the original being part of film folklore. I've only ventured out to the cinema 3 times this year to see X-Men and Captain America.... i usually only go once, maybe twice.

As someone who considers themselves a film buff, I found it an intelligent film with great dialogue and believable sequences. The animation is top notch and worth watching in 3d. I felt empathy for the apes and they aren't even real. I consider it one of the best films this year.

You could buy a ticket to much worse films at the moment so I'd highly recommend it.

Definitely worth seeing at the cinemas. Probably my favourite blockbuster since dark knight. The apes were amazing and the motion capture worked brilliantly. I've never felt so much for cgi.

if you have an account with telstra you can obtain movie tickets at $11.00. IMO it was worth the $11.00

I did this (actually they whacked on an extra $2 because it was shown in a Vmax cinema) and i'm still 50/50 on it, i would have been unsatisfied if i paid $19-$21.50 to see it. Most of it was fine and it was a good movie like i have said a few times i just felt it moved slow and seemed like there was something missing.

I read others complaining about the cgi, i actually thought it was believable and i usually detest films that use too much cgi in their films.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely worth seeing at the cinemas. Probably my favourite blockbuster since dark knight. The apes were amazing and the motion capture worked brilliantly. I've never felt so much for cgi.
I said it was the best sequel I'd seen since Dark Knight. Talk about building on the already established story.

Saw it last night and thought it was excellent. Wasn't bored for one second, don't get that criticism at all. Was absolutely riveted in the first hour; if anything all the fighting didn't hold my attention as well. The CGI will probably look s**t in about 6 months but boy was it amazing at points here, especially with Koba. Can't wait to see where the story goes (until we reach the start of the original film of course).

Was the best Apes film in at least 40 years, and the first modern one to seriously challenge the best of the original sequels.

I'd rate them something like this;

1. Planet of the Apes ('68)
10/10

2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
8/10

3. Escape from the Planet of the Apes
7.5/10

4. Beneath the Planet of the Apes
5. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
6. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
7/10

7. Battle of the Planet of the Apes
6/10

8. Planet of the Apes (Burton)
5/10

They are all watchable, although all the sequels and reboots certainly have their flaws.

It's more of a reboot, that might make some attempt to lead up to the original film. I would personally treat it as a separate rebooted series to the original series.

The last 3 films of the original series (Escape, Conquest & Battle) were in a similar timeline to the reboot (Rise & Dawn), but involved a kind of time travel from the future to the past, so they were more easily seen as just sequels. Given there is now a reboot involved, talk of prequels in this franchise just makes things needlessly confusing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back