List Mgmt. OFFICIAL (for real this time): Dawson Simpson signs with GWS as Unrestricted Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Another shoulder op for Simpson? Sounds like he's staying on

Big :thumbsu: for Clark. I'd have thought he's already had his holiday. Should buckle down and get his fitness levels spot on for 2016. Exercise is good for depression.

Or maybe they are making sure that Simpson is in peak trading condition come next month :D

Another shoulder op for Simpson? Sounds like he's staying on

Big :thumbsu: for Clark. I'd have thought he's already had his holiday. Should buckle down and get his fitness levels spot on for 2016. Exercise is good for depression.
Still think Simpson would be great on the Rookie List.

I know it says that Simpson has had shoulder surgery, but has he actually signed a new contract yet?

I can't remember the different list lodgement dates, but maybe they club is playing it a little safe by having him go in for surgery now but is waiting to see what eventuates over the trade period, and potential delisted free agents to see if they will actually offer him a new contract for next year. It might be a case that if we sign someone else they will delist him, but if we have no luck with another ruck we will give him a 1 year deal at that stage.

Clark's fitness level is good, too bad it's 10 weeks too late.

Can't believe we are keeping Simpson

Simpson MIGHT be insurance against us not getting anyone to the club and he would probably be better value than a green 18 year old. At the very least he is a good clubman and might be useful at helping train up a youngster. Who knows what he does on the training track?

However, if we pick up a free agent ruck, he's worthless
maybe - but there are no guarantees. Not many rucks floating around and there are a fair few clubs wanting to strengthen their ruck division. Do we roll the dice -as we did at the end of 2013 when we let Pods and West go, then had Vardy injured in the preseason.. :( then Simpson and HMac were cooked by season's end- or do we hang onto him for one more year?

Any chance that the shoulder surgery is correcting what he hurt in round 1
Don't know but didn't he fall on it during a VFL game? Missed Rounds 8-11, despite going back onto the field after treatment.

Something something can't take an overhead mark...

Perhaps the shoulder is causing problems- and has been doing so for some time?

maybe - but there are no guarantees. Not many rucks floating around and there are a fair few clubs wanting to strengthen their ruck division. Do we roll the dice -as we did at the end of 2013 when we let Pods and West go, then had Vardy injured in the preseason.. :( then Simpson and HMac were cooked by season's end- or do we hang onto him for one more year?

Well we've had him for 8 years and what's his total games played?

Is he worth a list spot if he doesn't play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson MIGHT be insurance against us not getting anyone to the club and he would probably be better value than a green 18 year old. At the very least he is a good clubman and might be useful at helping train up a youngster. Who knows what he does on the training track?

Well if he's great on the track, he must get injured on Thursday nights.

Is he worth a list spot if we don't even play him when we have no other ruckmen?

Is he worth a list spot if we don't even play him when we have no other ruckmen?

There's the crux, right there. He's not worth a list spot. Had had his chances and is not AFL standard due to injuries or form.

Why waste another year with an underperforming or perennially injured player? 2007 draft for 28 games.

How many of those games had he been subbed? Can't get fit enough, or healthy enough for the AFL.

I guess every time he goes in for surgery, the GFC would think 'this is it! he'll be fine now!' only for things to go pear shaped. I think the positive thing about this year is that he didn't seem to have any back issues and this might be the first off-season for several years that he hasn't ended up under the knife for more back surgery. Has had the knee in 2013, plus half a dozen back ops but THIS YEAR it was a shoulder!! :) YAY Let's be thankful for small mercies!

Seeing as he only debuted 6 years ago, we should really look at his having played 28 AFL games in 6 seasons- almost 5 per season. That's no worse than what some of the fringe players get anyways and he will play VFL when he isn't playing AFL. If we can keep him as a backup ruck who can give us half a dozen games and relieve our main ruckmen during the season (again, rolling the dice that he will be fit when needed), and we have list spots to spare right now, I can't see why he wouldn't be given another year. Over the past 4 years he's played 12-10-16-16 games. That's not too shabby, actually, is it?

Well if he's great on the track, he must get injured on Thursday nights.
What I actually was implying that he might be assisting the young blokes at training- so even though he's not fit to play, he is still value to the club. HMac was helping coach at training as well. These blokes don't normally just go on holidays when they're injured and do nothing.

I guess every time he goes in for surgery, the GFC would think 'this is it! he'll be fine now!' only for things to go pear shaped. I think the positive thing about this year is that he didn't seem to have any back issues and this might be the first off-season for several years that he hasn't ended up under the knife for more back surgery. Has had the knee in 2013, plus half a dozen back ops but THIS YEAR it was a shoulder!! :) YAY Let's be thankful for small mercies!

Seeing as he only debuted 6 years ago, we should really look at his having played 28 AFL games in 6 seasons- almost 5 per season. That's no worse than what some of the fringe players get anyways and he will play VFL when he isn't playing AFL. If we can keep him as a backup ruck who can give us half a dozen games and relieve our main ruckmen during the season (again, rolling the dice that he will be fit when needed), and we have list spots to spare right now, I can't see why he wouldn't be given another year. Over the past 4 years he's played 12-10-16-16 games. That's not too shabby, actually, is it?

Those are vfl games played? In his afl games, how many times has he been subbed?

I think it would be all games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back