List Mgmt. OFFICIAL (for real this time): Dawson Simpson signs with GWS as Unrestricted Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we wouldn't know what it would cost us, it could actually cost us a player on the list that could contribute and make an impact at AFL level instead of running around in the VFL and occasionally getting caught drink driving.

Especially when it seems there is no chance of him being selected. In any case, there's still more decisions to be made. I'll be amazed if he's kept around.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about our list problems. Even if Simpson broke his back and will never play again we still keep him on the list for one more year to avoid getting more 18 year old deadwood that we would be forced to keep for 2 or more years.

We could always elevate a rookie on a 12month contract, then we open another spot on the rookie list where they are also 12 month contracts - so no getting stuck with deadwood for 2 years, just a 1year shot.

If might just be a question if we think we can get more from guys like Bates or Luxforx (I know be is a b-rookie), than from Simpson next year.

Especially when it seems there is no chance of him being selected. In any case, there's still more decisions to be made. I'll be amazed if he's kept around.
I think with so many spots unfilled at present he'll be an after trade period decision. If we don't bring as many in as we need to or use up more draft picks than hoped to bring in recruits then it's possible he gets a reprieve. If we do fill enough spots and/or trade for a ruckman then yes he's absolutely gone.

This draft wont have to many ruckman I can tell ya. I think they'll bite the bullet, keep him on and hope for more strength over the ruck line next year.

put all our eggs in the Stanley basket again ay?

Sure hope that foot of his remains strong. I'm sure if he does miss a month or so, Clark will be fit and firing and able to take over ruck duties again.

Wait to Saturday and then call the managers of the rucks that miss selection for GF teams. The heart break and anger has to mean they are at least open to discussions if not demanding a trade.

From what I have seen Celgar can ruck. lead, mark and kick well. Even if MCEvoy or Hale retire he might be sufficiently peeved to seek a trade.

I recall that Lycet (?) played well last year - could also be worth a look. Presume NicNat and the other Eagles ruck (can't remember his name but looks young) aren't going to retire so might be better chance than Celgar.

As for Simpson - delist and then rookie (last pick) if have not picked up a fit replacement by then. No one else is going to risk him. If by miracle they do, then pick up some one from the bush, if necessary. If they are fit then probably going to be a better bet than Dawson.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could always elevate a rookie on a 12month contract, then we open another spot on the rookie list where they are also 12 month contracts - so no getting stuck with deadwood for 2 years, just a 1year shot.

If might just be a question if we think we can get more from guys like Bates or Luxforx (I know be is a b-rookie), than from Simpson next year.
I think we will be doing that already even if Simpson stays.

Wait to Saturday and then call the managers of the rucks that miss selection for GF teams. The heart break and anger has to mean they are at least open to discussions if not demanding a trade.

From what I have seen Celgar can ruck. lead, mark and kick well. Even if MCEvoy or Hale retire he might be sufficiently peeved to seek a trade.

I recall that Lycet (?) played well last year - could also be worth a look. Presume NicNat and the other Eagles ruck (can't remember his name but looks young) aren't going to retire so might be better chance than Celgar.

As for Simpson - delist and then rookie (last pick) if have not picked up a fit replacement by then. No one else is going to risk him. If by miracle they do, then pick up some one from the bush, if necessary. If they are fit then probably going to be a better bet than Dawson.

Ceglar signed a two year deal in July and Hale is retiring after this weekend, so no chance he leaves Hawthorn regardless of whether he's picked this week or not.

Lycett is also under contract but seems behind Naitanui and Sinclair in the pecking order. Wouldn't mind us enquiring but expect I know what the answer is.

Looks like Fremantle will shop Zac Clarke around but I have zero interest. He's the softest big man in the league.

I really like Jonathan Griffin from Fremantle - such a shame he's nearly 30! If he was 25 I'd be really keen.

Yep- sounds like a plan. Like what happened with Burbury (and Sheringham and Stringer?) Hopefully with a different ending to the story, though. ;)

Last edited:

Sinclair?

We could set up observation stations at every Bunnings store in the state, to monitor the weekly Saturday sausage sizzles. Anyone who downs 20 sausages in a sitting gets an automatic free try-out at the club. :D

Ceglar signed a two year deal in July and Hale is retiring after this weekend, so no chance he leaves Hawthorn regardless of whether he's picked this week or not.

Lycett is also under contract but seems behind Naitanui and Sinclair in the pecking order. Wouldn't mind us enquiring but expect I know what the answer is.

Looks like Fremantle will shop Zac Clarke around but I have zero interest. He's the softest big man in the league.

I really like Jonathan Griffin from Fremantle - such a shame he's nearly 30! If he was 25 I'd be really keen.
Drats. Just realised you beat me to naming Sinclair.
Didn't realise Hale was retiring. Good. He seemed to keep his best games for when he played us, didn't he? :mad:

Yep- sounds like a plan. Like what happened with Burbury (and Sheringham and Stringer?) Hopefully with a different ending to the story, though. ;)

Technically, Burbury signed a 2-year deal when he was elevated. But he had a trigger clause in his contract of 10 afl games in season 1 to trigger the second season; he only played 5 games in 2014, so the second year of his contract didn't automatically take effect and the club decided to delist him.

I wouldn't mind Clarke myself. At least we'd get a bloke who is able to last a whole season. He takes a strong mark and also kicks goals.
Yes' he's light and very similar to Rhys Stanley in that regard but he's a much more competent ruck than Stanley and would be the type of bloke who would average 25-30 hit-outs per match if given the luxury of taking over our ruck woes.
He is also a good size at 203cm which is a full inch taller than the likes of Vardy, Clark and Stanley.

Technically, Burbury signed a 2-year deal when he was elevated. But he had a trigger clause in his contract of 10 afl games in season 1 to trigger the second season; he only played 5 games in 2014, so the second year of his contract didn't automatically take effect and the club decided to delist him.
Ah- I hadn't realised it was so technical. That was strange, though- having his jaw broken that year was outside his control. I don't know if the club would've stuck by their original agreement in that case- I actually wondered if it was a mutual parting of ways. Did Burbs nominate for the draft in the year he was delisted?

Edit- I know the jaw didn't set him back a full season but I felt he wasn't quite the same player on his return from that injury.

Ah- I hadn't realised it was so technical. That was strange, though- having his jaw broken that year was outside his control. I don't know if the club would've stuck by their original agreement in that case- I actually wondered if it was a mutual parting of ways. Did Burbs nominate for the draft in the year he was delisted?

Edit- I know the jaw didn't set him back a full season but I felt he wasn't quite the same player on his return from that injury.

maybe they realised during the season that Burbury wasn't going to work out as expected, they had hopes for McCarthy & Menzel for this year, so they decided to maybe not let him reach his 10 game mark and then delist him. Who knows

maybe they realised during the season that Burbury wasn't going to work out as expected, they had hopes for McCarthy & Menzel for this year, so they decided to maybe not let him reach his 10 game mark and then delist him. Who knows
I think the game plan changed as well- remember the frantic pressure applied in the forward line early that season (I think I've got the right season :))? Murdoch, Varcoe, Burbury and McCarthy all applying intense pressure in the front half of the ground. Things changed partway though the season and we never got back to that style after that.

If we could get Big Daws going again in the ruck, with Selwood (hopefully Danger) clearing in the midfield, Duncan getting the ball into F50, Big Tom as a LEADING target, Clark and Walker/Kersten alongside him, McCarthy back on the ground, Gregson scooting around in F50 and some Menzel magic happening... Wouldn't things look very juicy?

I think the game plan changed as well- remember the frantic pressure applied in the forward line early that season (I think I've got the right season :))? Murdoch, Varcoe, Burbury and McCarthy all applying intense pressure in the front half of the ground. Things changed partway though the season and we never got back to that style after that.

If we could get Big Daws going again in the ruck, with Selwood (hopefully Danger) clearing in the midfield, Duncan getting the ball into F50, Big Tom as a LEADING target, Clark and Walker/Kersten alongside him, McCarthy back on the ground, Gregson scooting around in F50 and some Menzel magic happening... Wouldn't things look very juicy?
The only chance of big Tom getting on the lead is if they allow these.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back