List Mgmt. OFFICIAL (for real this time): Dawson Simpson signs with GWS as Unrestricted Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please for the love of god delist him - Hawthorn have managed to draft two decent durable rucks yet we have completely failed... After Ottens the whole thing has been a complete farce for our club. Stop ******* around with injury prone players and make it a priority to bring in a durable number one ruckman that isn't a ****** (aka Mark Blake).

Only 2 ways were going to get a good ruckman without much of history of getting injuried.

1.By trading away something of high value as clubs will not give up a good ruckman without being heavily compensated in return. Hawthorn had to trade a first round pick for Mcnvoy and a first round pick for Hale.

2.Draft a ruckman in the draft who will most likely be years away from having a meaningful impact.

Daniel Gorringe (GCS) or Fitzpatrick(MELB)?

neither are world beater but are cheap and will add depth in an area where we lack any durable ruckman

Best thing for him is to move him along.

Therefore I wonder what we would get for Simpson & Jansen at the trade table from the Lions?
No it's not if you know our list situation. Even if he never plays again it's still better for our list to keep him. Can we just kill this thread because it's pointless. He ain't going anywhere.

Ruckman Dawson Simpson is likely on the way out after playing just 28 games in eight injury-plagued seasons, with several rival clubs showing interest in the 26-year-old.

Brave clubs to be interested in Dawson. Body looks shot.

Please for the love of god delist him - Hawthorn have managed to draft two decent durable rucks yet we have completely failed... After Ottens the whole thing has been a complete farce for our club. Stop ******* around with injury prone players and make it a priority to bring in a durable number one ruckman that isn't a ****** (aka Mark Blake).
GFC had give The Tigers two 1st round draft picks, and were forced to trade Moloney to the Dees to get Ottens. Quality rucks rarely fall in your lap.

No it's not if you know our list situation. Even if he never plays again it's still better for our list to keep him. Can we just kill this thread because it's pointless. He ain't going anywhere.
Did you hear Wells thoughts on Dawson? The way I interpret it is I rather have a rookie midget in his spot than doorknobs.

Was telling when Wells was discussing our ruck stocks he listed Stanley, Vardy, Clark and Blitz but said we might be looking at adding another. Was then asked about Dawson an was very uncommittal about him being here next year.

Around the 7min mark

Was telling when Wells was discussing our ruck stocks he listed Stanley, Vardy, Clark and Blitz but said we might be looking at adding another. Was then asked about Dawson an was very uncommittal about him being here next year.

Around the 7min mark

He also said that he could fit in even if we land Smith let alone if we don't. if we get Danger and Selwood as free agents and don't lose any players without trading then Simpson could go. But I expect we have to trade for atleast one and lose a Walker or Jansen and then he will stay. Geelong is still externally optimistic that all our trades will go our way. Highly doubtful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruckman Dawson Simpson is likely on the way out after playing just 28 games in eight injury-plagued seasons, with several rival clubs showing interest in the 26-year-old.

Brave clubs to be interested in Dawson. Body looks shot.

But what's the bet if he does end up on another AFL list that when he does get a chance next year he will look like a world beater and the bitching will start on here as to "why did we let him go, he should have been played more, blah blah blah".

But what's the bet if he does end up on another AFL list that when he does get a chance next year he will look like a world beater and the bitching will start on here as to "why did we let him go, he should have been played more, blah blah blah".
Hahahahaha that gave me a chuckle.

Our record when it comes to delisting players is pretty good I'd suggest.

Not sure big Daws has the attributes necessary to be a success in the modern game.

Maybe, but I'm struggling to see it.

At the risk of re-igniting another old argument, he reminds me of Blake. Might be good for the ruck contest itself, but effectively leaves the side a man down thereafter becuase he simply can't contribute anywhere else around the ground.
Simpson actually has a dip when he's not jumping into blokes. He is always tackling and chasing. Do yourself a favour and actually watch him. The issue is he's had a series of major injuries. Back surgery. Thats not a Mitch Clark calf. Its debilitating. It means not only can he not run and get km fitness, but he cant get core strength. And that means he gets pushed off the ball at throw ins and in marking contests. Honestly. The amount of comment on this board by people who just REFUSE to look underneath the absolute surface is just so s**t.

The reality is Simpson couldnt run out games this year, and his core was weak. Im certain they reached a point where they decided that there was no point picking him to play 2 and a half quarters a week. So let him slowly build fitness in the VFL. He
s had minor surgery now (compared to what he's had in the past) and he'll be on a bike and running in no time. Im tipping him to stay and have a good year, provided he does a full preseason. If his back is shot, then no. He's done. But otherwise he could be an amazing recruit.

might have to keep him by default

youth is on his side at least
interesting to see what kind of fitness regime they put him on
to shed kilos and get some kilometres into him?

might have to keep him by default

youth is on his side at least
interesting to see what kind of fitness regime they put him on
to shed kilos and get some kilometres into him?
Hes 27 by next year, hardly young for someone who has a history of injuries.

Simpson actually has a dip when he's not jumping into blokes. He is always tackling and chasing. Do yourself a favour and actually watch him. The issue is he's had a series of major injuries. Back surgery. Thats not a Mitch Clark calf. Its debilitating. It means not only can he not run and get km fitness, but he cant get core strength. And that means he gets pushed off the ball at throw ins and in marking contests. Honestly. The amount of comment on this board by people who just REFUSE to look underneath the absolute surface is just so s**t.

The reality is Simpson couldnt run out games this year, and his core was weak. Im certain they reached a point where they decided that there was no point picking him to play 2 and a half quarters a week. So let him slowly build fitness in the VFL. He
s had minor surgery now (compared to what he's had in the past) and he'll be on a bike and running in no time. Im tipping him to stay and have a good year, provided he does a full preseason. If his back is shot, then no. He's done. But otherwise he could be an amazing recruit.
I've been disappointed that the poor bloke can't get a decent run at it. He really looked like he had a bit of mongrel at times, early on, when he threw himself on the ball in the centre and just worked hard in the packs. Over the past couple of years he's really lost that 'edge' to his game and I reckon that I would've, too, if my back had required surgery every year.

I'd love nothing more for him to have moved past those injuries- I think this year is the first time for a few years that I haven't heard that he's been sent in for back surgery. Who knows, he might get a few senior games somewhere. I can't see him leaving the club of his own accord but I can see the club deciding enough is enough and moving him on. Even if he provides depth in the VFL, I hope that he stays so we get a better picture of what he's capable of by the end of next season.

We actually agree.

If you read carefully I simply said he couldn't compete around the ground, but didn't say WHY.

I actually like the guy, and the back injury has put a lot of things out of reach for him over the last couple of years. That said, I fear his injuries may have beaten him, and his dream of an AFL career.

From AFL.com:

• The Australian reports that Greater Western Sydney will target an experienced ruckman to offer support for Shane Mumford and the Giants' developing talls. Western Bulldog Will Minson, Geelong free agent Dawson Simpson and the Sydney Swans' No.2 ruckman Tom Derickx are said to be in the Giants' sights.

I like Daws too...but he can't take a mark, or at least doesn't take any.....and he's glacial....

I think he's gone...esp given the Wells interview the other day...Steven forgot to even mention him when talking ruck options at Geelong.

Not a really good sign for big Daws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back