MRP / Trib. Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson played an ordinary game, but automatically showed his value;
- freed up MacPharlin who was terrific.
- inflicted genuine pain on the opposition; I am not a fan of what he did, but I am a fan of his physicality. Fyfe has not been receiving enough protection, and Big Bad Zac has come in and made a statement. Come a possible GF and Dawson will have some very specific details about what he needs to do out on the ground, and it will involve causing some physical stress to the opposition wherever possible.
- gave the coach the option of trying Pearce as a forward.

If I was an opposition supporter I would be lobbying for Dawson to be excluded too.

- inflicted genuine pain on the opposition; I am not a fan of what he did, but I am a fan of his physicality. Fyfe has not been receiving enough protection, and Big Bad Zac has come in and made a statement. Come a possible GF and Dawson will have some very specific details about what he needs to do out on the ground, and it will involve causing some physical stress to the opposition wherever possible.

If I was an opposition supporter I would be lobbying for Dawson to be excluded too.

Agree with all you said except for the bit about Zac making a statement. He's a member of our footy family and I support him, but not blindly. He seemed to be making two statements: 1)"I'm a thug" and 2)"I've missed the whole season with injury and my team needs me, but I'll do something reckless and risk getting suspended in my first game back."

If an opposition defender did to any of our players what Dawson did to Jeremy Cameron, I reckon we'd be howling for that player's head.

Also reckon Silvagni can come in next week and do more than what Dawson did best yesterday — allow Pearce to go forward and McPharlin to shine.

agree 100%.

Dawson just doesn't make the wrong decisions. Yes he isn't the greatest kick, and yes he is a bit of a thug, but he is our thug.

Dawson is also a big game player. He plays well in finals and he has the kind of game that stands up in finals. Those kind of players are worth their weight in gold.

Yes I'm being optimistic and yes, Dawson was dumb. Cameron may have been bleeding all game, but on the plus side he played out the game and still kicked goals. People making a huge fuss about it won't help his cause, the commentators especially made sure that the MRP won't be able to just let it slide.

Commentators always make sure they highlight us.

Unfortunately he will get some sanction. Maybe the club has used up all its good and luck with the MRP will with Fyfe this year. Hopefully not - we'll see.

Thing I like about Dawson is that he makes the forward 'earn' it the old-fashioned way and that's not lost on Lyon. I suspect IF we make it to the big one again that Dawson will go crackers at some forwards right from the outset.

Last edited:
Commentators always make sure they highlight us.

Unfortunately he will get some sanction. Maybe the club has used up all its good and luck with the MRP will with Fyfe this year. Hopefully not - we'll see.
Let's hope they don't add a week for that haircut.

Agree with all you said except for the bit about Zac making a statement. He's a member of our footy family and I support him, but not blindly. He seemed to be making two statements: 1)"I'm a thug" and 2)"I've missed the whole season with injury and my team needs me, but I'll do something reckless and risk getting suspended in my first game back."

If an opposition defender did to any of our players what Dawson did to Jeremy Cameron, I reckon we'd be howling for that player's head.

Also reckon Silvagni can come in next week and do more than what Dawson did best yesterday — allow Pearce to go forward and McPharlin to shine.

Agree with your sentiment, but I don't think it was that intentional by Dawson. He certainly brought physicality, that's his thing, but the elbow was just a brain fade moment I reckon.

Also, Silvagni wont be ready for AFL action next week. It's pretty clear he's coming back in the slow way. He'll need a game or two at Peel before he'll be even considered I reckon. RTB will simply pull AP back again and go with what has basically worked there for some weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with your sentiment, but I don't think it was that intentional by Dawson. He certainly brought physicality, that's his thing, but the elbow was just a brain fade moment I reckon.

Also, Silvagni wont be ready for AFL action next week. It's pretty clear he's coming back in the slow way. He'll need a game or two at Peel before he'll be even considered I reckon. RTB will simply pull AP back again and go with what has basically worked there for some weeks.

It looks unclear on the replay whether Dawson meant to elbow Cameron. Fair point on Silvagni, which then brings the question of whether to slot Johno straight back in to face the Eagles in the Derby.

I know precedents count for nothing but has there been any similar cases to Dawsons incident this season?

It looks unclear on the replay whether Dawson meant to elbow Cameron. Fair point on Silvagni, which then brings the question of whether to slot Johno straight back in to face the Eagles in the Derby.

I think its a given that MJ comes straight back in.

The question is what we do this week while we wait for him to be ready.

Here's an option; I think Silvagni could come in but be the tall who is subbed with Pearce sliding back to defend when that happens.

We would indeed be howling and I think he should cop it because it was to the head. No doubt about that. But I also recognise that we need to up our enquiry into the oppositions ability to deal with physical pressure. Hawthorn dish it out and we have failed to respond. That is not good enough.

Well Ross seems keen as mustard to get MJ in and mentioned the Derby game, so it's quite possible.

Also don't hear me defending Dawson's actions. It was bog ordinary and he will rightly get a week or so - I'm just pointing out that in his attempt to impose, I doubt he intended to collect Cameron on the nose. However, either way, it was still unnecessary and dumb.

He pretty much nullified their best player Cameron with one questionable action, just like Mitchell on Fyfe - it's untoward but damn effective

Remove this Banner Ad

Back