Review Day 1 Training report (Wed Nov 19 from Nicks BB).

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Training report from Nicks BB by Neil Appleby, we don't seem to get a lot of these reports posted on here by BF Pie loving aficionado's, so I hope he doesn't mind me sharing with more of the fellow Magpies brethren.
PS Bucks still has it, sign him up player coach!

Neil Appleby

It was a sensational day for the first, full-list training session this morning.

Players entered the arena at 9:50. Jack Crisp was the first player out. He looks the prototype centreman. He also looks like he could step out of training and onto the catwalk; if he’s any good, expect to see him used as a face of the club.

Firstly, a note on who didn’t train. Travis Cloke was second onto the track after Jack Crisp, but disappeared on a long walk along the river with the Club’s psychologist. They returned after about 40 minutes and walked laps chatting.

Macaffer and Sharenberg walked laps with occasional gentle jogs. Caff was eyeing the training enviously and kept wanting to pick up a ball every time he passed one. The guy is hungry!

A few other players didn’t join general training drills, but instead ran timed laps and 100 metre sprints. In one group were Dane Swan, Josh Thomas and Dwyer. In the other group were Pendlebury, Jon Marsh and Witts.

The Pendlebury group mainly ran timed laps. I felt sorry for Witts and Marsh as Pendles won every single time by a good margin. Witts was second and Marsh last every time. Later Toovey and Blair joined this group and the finishing order was pretty consistent; Pendles by 30, Blair second, Toovey third, Witts close behind and Marsh last by at least 50 metres every, single time. Later Nathan Brown joined this group and Marsh still finished last. Marsh has no tank, even Witts beat him in every drill.

The main group started with 50 metre runs at jogging pace, followed by stretching. Next the players broke into groups of 3 and did sharp kicking practise.

Next, groups of 6 were matched against the coaches and were instructed to do silent drills; the instruction was no talking. This was like a touch-footy drill with no kicking.

Next the groups of six were again matched against the coaches who were acting as ‘the pressure’ forcing the players to work in close and free the ball to a teammate. Nathan Freeman, Darcy Moore and Adam Oxley worked really well.

More 50 metre runs followed for the whole group. Every 15 minutes or so the players were sent over to a Collingwood igloo tent for drinks.

A few observations to this point: Nathan Freeman and Darcy Moore were prominent. Travis Varcoe’s kicking looked terrific. Taylor Adams, Seedsman and Jack Crisp got plenty of the ball, but didn't always use it well. Levi Greenwood kept getting placed at the Yarra end, so I didn't really get to see much of him.

Next up a game-style drill where players were pitted against the coaches. This was a defensive drill where the coaches tried to force turnovers and then score. Prominent in this drill was Nathan Buckley, whose kicking was elite. In fact, it was very noticeable that when the ball was turned over by the players, the coaches were able to rebound with beautiful, precise kicking.

Speaking of kicking, Mason Cox trained the house down and every time he got the ball delivered to a teammate. During the drill against the coaches he was pinpointed a few times and raced unopposed through the middle; he didn’t want to handball or kick on his left, but at least he delivered effectively. This boy is a natural athlete and it will be interesting to see if he can adapt.

Next the players were divided into black vs yellow teams. Play began on the half forward flank at a stoppage. At the ball up, the yellow team of Adams, Ben Kennedy, Crisp, Williams, Seedsman were pitted against Broomhead, Freeman, Varcoe and Fasolo. When the yellow team won the ball and kicked towards their forward line, if it wasn’t turned over by poor disposal, it was easily mopped up by Frost and Moore. Frost was defending Grundy and Moore was against Rocca. The black team murdered the yellows in this game and kicked goals at will with Corey Gault and Karnezis getting plenty of it. Levi Greenwood and Elliott didn't join in the match drills and instead ran a few laps. Witch's hats were placed at 50 metre intervals around the perimeter and the players jogged 50, ran hard for 50 and then jogged again.

It was a pretty long session, with the players drifting off at about 11:30.

Who shone? Apart from Nathan Buckley, who was BOG, other players we noted were Freeman, Oxley, Moore, Broomhead, Ramsay, Gault and Fasolo. Bucks and Fasolo exited the arena arm in arm.

Now I know it was only day one of a long pre-season and I wasn’t expecting to say this, but Darcy Moore looks as if he could walk straight into the team. Everything he did was polished. His skills in close look to be terrific and his decision making stood out. It’s the first time I’ve seen him, but he looks the goods. I reckon we might see Darcy get a few games in 2015.

One more thing, Broomhead was caught smiling a couple of times!

**Photos added via link below. Didn't realise I could add video......next time!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98725876@N02/with/15204964743

NOTE TO MODS: PLEASE DO NOT MERGE IN THE CONGLOMERATE THREAD TO BE LOST OR NOT SEEN AT ALL BY THOSE WHO DON'T READ THROUGH EVERY PAGE. AT LEAST LEAVE THIS THREAD UP FOR 3 DAYS ALLOWING ALL TO VIEW BEFORE MERGING. TY.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Good read.

Really excited for Freeman.

Also, many of these training reports over the last 2 years indicate that a) Bucks is a heavy participant and b) still pretty damn good. Any chance we can utilise him as our spare man in defence? We could call it revolutionary on-field coaching strategy. :drunk:

I just want to point out that in regard to Marsh it is no surprise he is lagging behind as he has missed a hell of a lot of fitness work due to that badly torn hamstring. He is unlikelty to have done much running until now. I'm sure he'll pick up in coming weeks.

Great report.

Still a bit concerned about our kicking if the coach is outshining nearly every player!

Great report.

Still a bit concerned about our kicking if the coach is outshining nearly every player!
Nathan had about the best kick the game has seen. It's a natural talent, one that he will probably never lose till his body actually give up on him, probably well in to his 70s. Only guy on e team close to his passing accuracy is Armstrong, although fasolo can be very good when concentrating.

I just want to point out that in regard to Marsh it is no surprise he is lagging behind as he has missed a hell of a lot of fitness work due to that badly torn hamstring. He is unlikelty to have done much running until now. I'm sure he'll pick up in coming weeks.
Wasn't he also rated at least top3 for speed at the draft combine?

Nathan had about the best kick the game has seen. It's a natural talent, one that he will probably never lose till his body actually give up on him, probably well in to his 70s. Only guy on e team close to his passing accuracy is Armstrong, although fasolo can be very good when concentrating.

I almost liked this, then I read the bolded and just sat there looking at the screen scratching my head.

I love Pendles don't get me wrong but you can't compare his kick to Buckley.
Maybe not quite at Bucks level because well nobody is, but he is still a better kick than any of the other top 20 mids in the game right now.

I'd much rather have the ball in his hands than I would Armstrong or Fasolo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who on the team would you rate as an elite pass? Armstrong has some deficiencies but no one can argue he isn't an elite kick.

Armstrong doesn't have great penetration or able to move the ball at speed like Buckley or spot up difficult high risk options in traffic under pressure or in space.

Armstrong is generally a good neat kick but most his kicks are of the short variety 20-40m mark and safe options.

Will give a few examples without thinking too much on it, not really going to go into elite kick but very good kicks at Pies are imo:

Pendles - generally is "elite" but often doesn't use it enough in a high risk high reward setting, likes to play it safe.
Elliott - underrated field kick, watch him closely he always hits up a target and too advantage + generally dangerous spots.
Reid - when fit, lack of endurance effected it last season imo.

Good but flawed for one reason or another:

Fasolo - generally is very sound with ball but is still prone to brain fades with ball and also could use it more dangerously then he does.
Keeffe - When in space with time he is elite when not and pressured can be prone to slew it.
Armstrong see top.
Steele - can have games that he runs very high kick retention and then other games where he loses his s**t kicking wise and does dinky kicks that miss targets.

Will reserve judgement on 1-3 year players still getting fitness base up, adjusting to the pressure both from a crowd point and opposition point of view.

Buckley was a freak of nature there isn't a player on the list capable of hitting up a target like he did and with depth, speed, trajectory, vision etc, in fact there isn't one in the AFL currently as good as Ablett is!

No doubt Armstrong isn't an elite kick. A very reliable kick but not elite. Not nearly enough hurt factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armstrong doesn't have great penetration or able to move the ball at speed like Buckley or spot up difficult high risk options in traffic under pressure or in space.

Armstrong is generally a good neat kick but most his kicks are of the short variety 20-40m mark and safe options.

Will give a few examples without thinking too much on it, not really going to go into elite kick but very good kicks at Pies are imo:

Pendles - generally is "elite" but often doesn't use it enough in a high risk high reward setting, likes to play it safe.
Elliott - underrated field kick, watch him closely he always hits up a target and too advantage + generally dangerous spots.
Reid - when fit, lack of endurance effected it last season imo.

Good but flawed for one reason or another:

Fasolo - generally is very sound with ball but is still prone to brain fades with ball and also could use it more dangerously then he does.
Keeffe - When in space with time he is elite when not and pressured can be prone to slew it.
Armstrong see top.
Steele - can have games that he runs very high kick retention and then other games where he loses his s**t kicking wise and does dinky kicks that miss targets.

Will reserve judgement on 1-3 year players still getting fitness base up, adjusting to the pressure both from a crowd point and opposition point of view.

Buckley was a freak of nature there isn't a player on the list capable of hitting up a target like he did and with depth, speed, trajectory, vision etc, in fact there isn't one in the AFL currently as good as Ablett is!
Elliot kicking in the forwardline/midfield - Elite

Elliot kicking in defense - Quite possibly the worst in the competition

Elliot kicking in the forwardline/midfield - Elite

Elliot kicking in defense - Quite possibly the worst in the competition
You're confusing kicking with decision making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back