Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Lion Dayne Beams not sure shoulder will see him through to end

BRISBANE Lions best-and-fairest favourite Dayne Beams doesn’t know if a recurring shoulder injury will prevent him from playing out the season.

Beams said he would play for Brisbane in Saturday’s Gabba clash with North Melbourne in which former Lions skipper Jed Adcock will turn out for his 200th game and Kangaroos veteran Brent Harvey his 400th.

Beams has amassed 434 disposals this year, 109 more than the total of touches for the next most involved Lion, Lewis Taylor, but has been troubled by a right shoulder which has needed strapping in recent weeks.

427126-e3d8d80c-301a-11e5-9ef6-256b339a0efc.jpg

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would be really unfortunate for him if it costs him the best and fairest. Feels like he has earned it already.

Even if he misses the last 6 games you'd think someone like Zorko or Martin would have to have a huge finish to the season to catch him.

Even if he misses the last 6 games you'd think someone like Zorko or Martin would have to have a huge finish to the season to catch him.

Yep, not sure that's possible. He's been our best this year by a monumental margin and will take it home.

Leppitsch on Beams and Hanley

Leppitsch said Beams was likely to go in for surgery at some stage, although he would have not say on when.

"It’s too early for that sort of stuff, unless he can’t perform with it, (and then) he’ll go in," Leppitsch said.

"If he’s fine, he wants to be out there with the boys, which is really admirable.

"I leave all medical decisions up to the medical team and the player.

"They come to me to say who’s available, who’s not."

Beams' Season likely over, says Leppa

THE BRISBANE Lions' horror injury toll has taken another scalp, with star recruit Dayne Beams' first season in Queensland likely to be cut short after he re-injured his sore shoulder in Saturday's loss to Geelong.

However, Lions coach Justin Leppitsch hopes that ruckman Matthew Leuenberger has escaped a serious knee injury after a knock in the first quarter of his side's 56-point defeat at Simonds Stadium.

Beams has carried a shoulder problem for weeks and was facing with the prospect of surgery before the year's end.

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dead set...the Rockliffe situation was farcial. The club had a responsibility to rule him out. Gardiner, was playing under extreme difficulty. There are many cases and where they affect young players in particular it's a big concern. We know there are issues in this department of the club.Hanley was known to have problems last year. If they keep this up they'll cop a law suit if not an AFL investigation.

Bloody disgrace from coaches and doctors pushing these injured players every week. Poor Beams must have been in so much pain...

Dead set...the Rockliffe situation was farcial. The club had a responsibility to rule him out. Gardiner, was playing under extreme difficulty. There are many cases and where they affect young players in particular it's a big concern. We know there are issues in this department of the club.Hanley was known to have problems last year. If they keep this up they'll cop a law suit if not an AFL investigation.

I find it hard to take people seriously when they come out saying definitive statements about things that they would have absolutely no idea about the process involved nor what actually happens in the whole decision making process, medical tests completed etc etc. Not to mention that people never comment on the calls that appear to be right with returning players. Who knows whether it was the player that was pushed or he was the one doing the pushing. Who knows the number of occasions the right decision has been made to bring a player back a week earlier than planned or where despite the players protestations we've held them back.

I'm not saying our medical staff are golden childs, goodness knows i've got a myriad of doubts about them at the moment too, but sprouting these sort of absolute statements saying they've pushed players to return when they haven't wanted to is based purely on observation and absolutely no fact at all.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
It was reported somewhere (can't remember where) that the Club had wanted Beams to go in for surgery a week or two ago, however it was Beams himself that wanted to play on to help out the team.

I just can't imagine a scenario where the Club (or any AFL Footy club) would prevail on a player (especially one as valuable as Beams) to play on in circumstances where the player's long term welfare is significantly jeopardised for some short term fix.

The only possible exception would be a GF and even then, clubs are surely becoming more and more wary due to the possibility of litigation further on down the track

In our case, there would be absolutely no short term benefit anyway. The season is and has been a write off for the last 10 weeks.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Im sure Lappin got told not to play that GF with broken ribs but that never stopped him.

Yeah. I think the medical advice (to him) was NOT to play but he insisted he was OK.

From memory, they got someone in the team to repeatedly crash tackled him at Lions training the day before the GF to "test" the ribs.

It may have been one of the Scott brothers?.....I guess the thinking was that if you could survive one of those buggers hammering you at training, you could survive anything.

Pretty sure they still had to soup him up on pain killers on GF day so he could get through it.

Back