Senior Dayne Zorko (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Early Bite

With their season on the line, the Lions chased the ball - and man - with vigour, as shown when Dayne Zorko booted the opening two goals of the match. The first came after Zorko smothered a Watson kick at half-back, collected the loose ball and ran into goal; the second after he scooped up a loose ball as the result of pressure in the forward pocket. The Lions had been slow starters this season.

Best afield Dayne Zorko said he and his teammates had never stopped playing for their coach.

"Vossy's game plan is Vossy's game plan and we back that in 100 per cent and try to execute every week," Zorko said.

Sitting alongside Voss at his post-match press conference was forward Dayne Zorko, who was won one of the Lions' best against the Bombers with 19 possessions and three goals, including the one at the 20-minute mark of the final term that put the Lions in front for good.

Zorko said suggestions the Lions players had not been playing for their coach in 2013 were way off the mark.

"Vossy's game-plan is Vossy's game-plan and we back it in 100 per cent and we try and execute it every week and I guess for the first few rounds it just wasn't there," Zorko said.

"But over the last four weeks we've felt like it's started to come back together and we just haven't played the whole four quarters out.

"Today we've finally [played] four quarters and we can see what we can do. We can move the ball all right, we can pressure up and really attack."

Zorko has really struggled with being tagged this year. Not sure if Essendon focused their attention elsewhere, or whether Zorko broke the tag, but it was good to see him back to the form he showed last year.

He got those 2 early goals, but seemed to build his game on his defensive work first, then get the ball when he can. He looked very determined with his forward pressure all game. Might have been because Green was out though. Was good to see him back in form.

Brisbane's ‘Great Zorko' must conjure more consistency
May 24, 2013
Greg Davis

THE next trick for "The Great Zorko" is to conjure up some consistency. Brisbane forward Dayne Zorko broke the spell of second-year syndrome last Saturday to produce his best display for 2013 in the Lions' courageous 10-point win over Essendon.

In the first seven rounds, he had been averaging 16 touches a game and had kicked a total of eight goals. But three goals, 19 disposals, six tackles, two inside 50 entries and a goal assist in the triumph over the Bombers signalled Zorko's welcome return to form. As AFL commentator Gerard Healy said after the match, "The Great Zorko was great for the first time this year".

Ahead of tomorrow night's clash with Carlton at the Gabba, Brisbane coach Michael Voss said Zorko had got back to basics. "I think he had diverted away from his strengths and what his core role was," Voss said. "Sometimes you can think you need to get more of the ball to have an impact on the game but that's not the case with Tink (Zorko). "His ability to create pressure is worth more than what he does with the ball. "When he chases and harasses like he did against Essendon, he adds so much to our group."

Zorko was back to his upbeat self and noticably more chirpy around the Gabba in the build-up to the clash with the Bombers. "We've upped some of the leadership responsibilities he had which is significant when you are just in your second season. He battled with that early but he's come to grips with it now and is bringing the energy to the group again," he said. "Everyone admires the way he goes about it and we need him to keep delivering that pressure."

546928-dayne-zorko.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leuey and Zorko re-sign
19 June 2013

Matthew Leuenberger and Dayne Zorko have both agreed to new contracts with the Brisbane Lions. Leuenberger, 25, has committed to a two-year extension, while Zorko, 24, has agreed to a new three-year deal.

Lions General Manager, Football Operations, Dean Warren said: "Matthew and Dayne's retention was an absolute priority for the Club. "It's also a significant show of faith by these young men in the Club's directions as well as fantastic news for our members and supporters. "We're confident they'll both play key roles in future success."

Under the Gold Coast establishment rules, Zorko, a native Queenslander, was eligible to be listed or traded by the Gold Coast. Overlooked for a list place on Gold Coast's initial years, the Lions traded Pick No.34 to the Gold Coast in exchange for Zorko and Pick No.47 during the 2011 Trade Period.

He played a total of 16 games in 2012and averaged 20 disposals, six tackles (second only to Jack Redden at the Club), kicked a total of 16 goals for the year, and took out the Club's Rookie of the Year award.

Zorko, meanwhile, has committed for a further three seasons just 18 months after being handed an AFL lifeline by the Lions. The former Broadbeach Captain thought his AFL dream might have never been realised, until the Lions secured him as a mature-age recruit during the 2011 Trade Period.

“A few years ago, if someone had offered me a contract at the Brisbane Lions, I would’ve been absolutely stoked,” Zorko said. “And for them to still have faith in me is something I just can’t believe.

Zorko couldn’t contain his enthusiasm when discussing his future with the Lions. “I’m loving each day here. It’s a fantastic environment – I love the Gabba and I love the Brisbane Lions. I’m rapt,” he said. “The Club’s in a fantastic position and we’re growing week-in week-out. “And with young guys like Sammy Mayes…coming through, it made the decision even easier.”

In his presser today, he genuinely sounded like a little kid whose Christmases had all come at once...gotta love the little champ.

Zorko links up
25 June 2013
Peter Ryan

WHEN Brisbane Lions full-back Daniel Merrett marked deep in defence against Geelong there were 22 seconds of the game remaining. Alongside him was Dayne Zorko. The 24-year-old midfielder had no idea how much time remained but he knew not much was left and his team was a point behind on the scoreboard.

So Zorko yelled at Merrett to play on then tracked back with the flight of the ball. Initially he was hoping to get back into the forward line to "turn up if the ball ended up coming to ground." But when Elliot Yeo squeezed a left-footer (having spent time practising his non-preferred all year in case it was needed) to one of the all-time great left footers Simon Black, Zorko began to pick up the pace. "I did not know what was going to happen but I was praying I got linked up somewhere," Zorko told afl.com.au. Last year's best and fairest winner Joel Patfull marked, turned and attempted an inboard kick he rarely attempts.

But it worked when he miraculously found his teammate Jed Adcock in between three Geelong players. Adcock did not have time to stand up, handballing to Zorko who took the ball on the run with three seconds to go. " I saw Jed take the mark and looked around and no one was near me so I just called for it," Zorko said. With ball in hand and no time remaining you would imagine Zorko had no decision to make. But he made several. He could see players running into space inside 50 to his right and Ashley McGrath charging towards him.

He had also noticed that McGrath's opponent Josh Hunt had dropped off him slightly. There was not enough time to calculate whether or not McGrath would kick it if he marked it, but when a final piece of information raced through his head it clinched his decision. "Ash [McGrath] was the direct line to goal and probably the easier kick," Zorko said. "I wasn't sure how far Ash was actually out from goal but I knew he was one of our longer kicks." In that frenetic last quarter, he had seven kicks, kicked a goal and managed four inside 50s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back