Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Obviously similar to the Marvel one. Given discussion in the Suicide Squad got completely off track, time may have come for a Mega thread for DC.

Announced films w/ titles and release dates:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25, 2016
Suicide Squad - August 5, 2016
Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017
Justice League - November 17, 2017
The Flash - March 23, 2018
Aquaman - July 27, 2018
Shazam - April 5, 2019
Justice League Part Two - June 14, 2019
Cyborg - April 3, 2020
Green Lantern - June 19, 2020

My prediction is that this attempt at a cinematic universe goes completely off the rails.

Last edited:
Confirmed cast members

Superman - Henry Cavill
Aquaman - Jason Momoa
Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot
Cyborg - Ray Fisher
Batman - Ben Affleck
The Flash - Ezra Miller
Captain Boomerang - Jai Courtney
Harley Quinn - Margot Robbie
The Joker - Jared Leto
Deadshot - Will Smith
Enchantress - Cara Delevingne
Amanda Waller - Viola Davis
Shazam - Dwayne Johnson

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers
Most looking forward to Aquaman and Suicide Squad tbh. I'm hoping Batman vs Superman isn't ruined by all the other characters they've shoved into that movie. That's the main movie I'm worried about and it's a pretty important movie in this new universe they're planning. Also I thought The Rock was playing Black Adam, not Shazam/Captain Marvel.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Obviously similar to the Marvel one. Given discussion in the Suicide Squad got completely off track, time may have come for a Mega thread for DC.

Announced films w/ titles and release dates:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25, 2016
Suicide Squad - August 5, 2016
Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017
Justice League Part One - November 17, 2017
The Flash - March 23, 2018
Aquaman - July 27, 2018
Shazam - April 5, 2019
Justice League Part Two - June 14, 2019
Cyborg - April 3, 2020
Green Lantern - June 19, 2020

My prediction is that this attempt at a cinematic universe goes completely off the rails.

I have similar concerns, especially if Snyder is involved with future films after Dawn of Justice.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I'd agree with that, the guys at DC rarely seem to know what they are doing, don't seem to talk to each other and don't look at the big picture from a story point of view.

What makes it worse is that they've learnt nothing from how Marvel have do their cinematic universe and are already relying on their Batman crutch.

The biggest problem is that they don't seem to know what they want to do with their characters so it makes it near impossible to give the broad strokes to a director or actor or tell either that it's their way or the highway.

The funny thing is had this been done in the early top mid-nineties DC would have romped it in as editorially they were on the top of their game at the moment the inmates are running the asylum.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Confirmed cast members
My thoughts on the castings as a general rule seems to be a bit of a mixed bag
Superman - Henry Cavill
Good casting I think Cavill was pretty good in Man of Steel only problem I have with cinematic superman is that they've gone too overpowered for a shared universe.
Aquaman - Jason Momoa
I think they've messed this one up, nothing wrong with Momoa he could make a great Atlantean but I don't think he'll work as Blonde and blondeness as silly as it sounds is part of Aquaman's backstory, Momoa would have made definitely made a good Tempest though.
Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot
The only issue here is really the costume, they've gone somewhat in the right direction but they really needed to add some shoulder straps.
Cyborg - Ray Fisher
* off Cyborg the Martian Manhunter is proper minority character.
Batman - Ben Affleck
Good Casting
The Flash - Ezra Miller
Emo Flash good one DC :rolleyes:
Captain Boomerang - Jai Courtney
meh not sure he can pull it off potential to be really awful (although this is a issue with the source material as well).
Harley Quinn - Margot Robbie
Could be good.
The Joker - Jared Leto
Could be good but I fear how he'll be used.
Deadshot - Will Smith
I see this one going pear shaped mostly due to Smith's ego and "star" power
Enchantress - Cara Delevingne
Has an exotic enough look, but I think they may have cast a bit young here.
Amanda Waller - Viola Davis
Good casting Waller needs to be a tough as nails black women and Davis can pull it off. Waller is about the only character when DC has never had a miss when it comes to LIVE action.
Shazam - Dwayne Johnson
Excellent casting, Black Adam give him more to work with than Captain Marvel would.

My thoughts on the castings as a general rule seems to be a bit of a mixed bag

Good casting I think Cavill was pretty good in Man of Steel only problem I have with cinematic superman is that they've gone too overpowered for a shared universe.

I think they've messed this one up, nothing wrong with Momoa he could make a great Atlantean but I don't think he'll work as Blonde and blondeness as silly as it sounds is part of Aquaman's backstory, Momoa would have made definitely made a good Tempest though.

The only issue here is really the costume, they've gone somewhat in the right direction but they really needed to add some shoulder straps.

**** off Cyborg the Martian Manhunter is proper minority character.

Good Casting

Emo Flash good one DC :rolleyes:

meh not sure he can pull it off potential to be really awful (although this is a issue with the source material as well).

Could be good.

Could be good but I fear how he'll be used.

I see this one going pear shaped mostly due to Smith's ego and "star" power

Has an exotic enough look, but I think they may have cast a bit young here.

Good casting Waller needs to be a tough as nails black women and Davis can pull it off. Waller is about the only character when DC has never had a miss when it comes to LIVE action.

Excellent casting, Black Adam give him more to work with than Captain Marvel would.
Agree re Martian Manhunter. Disappointed he couldn't get a gig but Captain ******* Boomerang can.

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers

He's not going to be blonde and I don't care. And since when is he being blonde a part of his backstory?

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Agree re Martian Manhunter. Disappointed he couldn't get a gig but Captain ******* Boomerang can.

Well since the semi reboot with the New52 Cyborg has been a bigger part in the comics, and Jonn Jonzz has been put into the Justice League of America, and now Justice League United because the Justice League didnt like his ways for dealing with villains. But i think its for the better he is good with Stargirl in JLA/JL:U Would love Stargirl to be in the movies.

I think he will show up as a cameo in one of the justice league movies but it will just take too long to do his backstory and build his character.

Ive seen that Michael Jai White has been lobbying DC to get to play John Stewart, i could see that would be good but dont think its a good idea to have 2 GL from earth yet, Maybe in the introduce him GL movie if they use Hal in the Justice League movies, i just hope they dont use Guy Gardner. but would one day like to see a live action with Hal, John and Kyle.

I think its too early to assume the Flash is going to be all emo, but i think they could have gone with someone better. and if they had the Rock play Capitan Marvel it would of been crazy, it seems like he was the only choice for Black Adam he could be amazing as him. and if he was Shazam it would be s**t with all the immature stuff Billy thinks and acts.

I think the Wonder Woman movie could come down to who they pick as Steve Trevor and how they use him, along with who they have as the antagonist because it seems too early to use Aries.

The movies im looking forward to most are Suicide Squad, Justice League Dark and Justice League.

Try as I might, I just cannot get excited for a single one of these films, save for maybe Suicide Squad. But for the most part, all of these all just make me go "meh". The casting choices don't inspire confidence.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Try as I might, I just cannot get excited for a single one of these films, save for maybe Suicide Squad. But for the most part, all of these all just make me go "meh". The casting choices don't inspire confidence.

There's a real glut of superhero movies these days.

Good stuff MWNN in starting this thread - was probably overdue and should make it easier to discuss the DC films without needing to jump between threads.

Dwayne Johnson has seemingly confirmed that the Shazam movie will be part of the DC Cinematic Universe (despite it being produced by New Line and not WB like the other films).

So, will Black Adam be an anti-hero then? “I think Black Adam is going to grow into becoming an anti-hero,” Johnson tells us in the new issue. “It’s all written within the spirit of respecting and paying homage to the comics. As we know, Black Adam started out as a slave. When he’s given the powers, he utilised them. Then in the wake of his powers, tragedy strikes, which turns his sentiment and tone in terms of psychology.”

And how, if at all, will Black Adam fit in with the wider DC universe? “It was all agreed that the worlds are all interconnected… One day you will see Black Adam go at it with Superman or Batman or any of the DC characters. But that said, there’s a great independence to Black Adam from the DC world, allowing us to inject, not only viciousness, but also winking humour.”

http://www.gamesradar.com/exclusive-dwayne-johnson-talks-black-adam/

Last interesting tidbit I read this morning when catching up on the latest news - the actress who played the military girl in MoS (Christina Wren) is reprising her role. Probably of most interest though is that (only just realised this myself) her character's name is 'Carrie Farris' (with the Green Lantern's partner in the comics being 'Carol Farris' - who also becomes Star Sapphire in the comics IIRC).

Will be interesting to see if they decide to introduce Star Sapphire later on or if she'll have any kind of relationship to the yet to be cast Green Lantern or not.

Oh and I know how MoS polarised a lot of people so hopefully BvS will help address a lot of the issues/concerns people had. If you take Wren's interview answer, it seems the film will definitely 'address' everything that happened in MoS.
http://www.inquisitr.com/1832451/ba...cludes-christina-wren-as-major-carrie-farris/

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
They start filming in April, so i think we will hear in the next week or so, unless they cut his roll down and use The Wall more.

Yeah, saw that - not far away at all if they are going ahead with that schedule. Given Ayer reportedly put the screenplay in before Christmas, you'd have to assume it's pretty close to the final draft as well (so would be potentially shared with other candidates for the role).

Few tidbits for Suicide Squad I read earlier today.
  • Leto trying to put on weight for the role (as Joker). Also had to say this:
"The opportunity to take on this nearly Shakespearean character — that's what graphic novels and comic books are becoming, right?" Leto says. "[He's] this beautiful disaster of a character — what a big challenge."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jared-leto-is-gaining-a-775574

• Will Smith wants his take on Deadshot to be the 'definitive' take on the character:
"With this character and the DC world, I love that I'm getting the opportunity for the global definition of Deadshot. There's been Deadshot in little appearances here and there, there's an idea, but Deadshot isn't defined, really. I get to be a part of the creation that will be the biggest historical image of Deadshot."
http://www.movieweb.com/suicide-squad-movie-will-smith-deadshot

• Jay Hernandez has reportedly been cast in the movie - some rumours he may make a brief cameo as El Diablo.
http://www.movieweb.com/suicide-squad-movie-jay-hernandez-el-diablo

Aquaman

image.jpg

Looks awesome! With Wonder Woman's costume, it looks like they aren't going off the traditional appearances from the comics.

Saw some rumours that another 2 members of the Suicide Squad are meant to be announced next week (Rick Flag finally cast maybe?). Also, I think that movie 'Focus' (another WB film) that Will Smith and Margot Robbie are appearing in - some rumours suggesting that the first public teaser trailer for BvS may be aired when Focus is released (27th Feb apparently). Could be an interesting week next week if those rumours are true!

Saw Fury over the weekend. Ayer did a really good job with it IMO. Makes me excited to see what he can do with Suicide Squad.

Back