De Goey or Moore

If we didn't have the FS advantage

• Moore

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • De Goey

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the exposure at AFL levels both players who are extremely experience I would have to say Moore

Their supporters can say what they like, but this performance (and others) are branded in my mind.

Hawkins was the Main Reason why Cats won the Flag in the 2011 Final Series

This thread is irrelevant - Not because we got both and we don't have to pick between them, but because if Darcy Moore wasn't a F/S pick to us he would have gone before #5 and we wouldn't have had a shot at him. So the choice would have been between one of McCartin/Petracca/Brayshaw/Pickett and De Goey, and that's far too speculative to even form an opinion on.

But to fully indulge, if both were there at #5 and we HAD to pick one or the other, I guess Darcy Moore would have been the obvious choice because of his athleticism, pedigree, leadership and potential.

I'm with you on this one. I think Moore should have gone pick one if he was an open choice to all clubs.

I'd pick Moore before De Goey, but I'd be ecstatic if he lasted to pick 5 and I had pick 5.

Based on the exposure at AFL levels both players who are extremely experience I would have to say Moore

That's not the question. Recruiters earn their salaries because they can identify talent before they have been exposed to the AFL.

So Hawkins > Selwood (see if the Geelong supporters agree with you)

You forgot to factor in "quality". Hawkins hasn't lived up to the hype, at least not consistently.

Have you seen Hawkins the past few years? Take out the period where his back was stuffed and he has been far more dominant that Cloke

Hawkins (av 51.5 Goals per season)
2014 - 68
2013 - 49
2012 - 62
2011 - 27

Cloke (av 58.75)
2014 - 39
2013 - 68
2012 - 59
2011 - 69

Think Clokes got him covered.

Have you seen Hawkins the past few years? Take out the period where his back was stuffed and he has been far more dominant that Cloke
You should probably do some research before making a statement like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should probably do some research before making a statement like that.

Actually thought it was reasonable but people's perceptions of Cloke flavored by his 2014 season when he apparently battled knee tendinitis and missed the last few games. I did say that Hawkins biggest issue in a comparison with the Ducker is consistency.

Hawkins (av 51.5 Goals per season)
2014 - 68
2013 - 49
2012 - 62
2011 - 27

Cloke (av 58.75)
2014 - 39
2013 - 68
2012 - 59
2011 - 69

Think Clokes got him covered.

And in the last 3 years Hawkins has averaged 5 more goals a year while having a completely screwed up back for a long period.

If you take out the period when Hawkins couldn't even bend over he comes out ahead by even more.

I'm only taking into account the last 3 season which are the most relevant for 2015

Actually thought it was reasonable but people's perceptions of Cloke flavored by his 2014 season when he apparently battled knee tendinitis and missed the last few games. I did say that Hawkins biggest issue in a comparison with the Ducker is consistency.
It's the same old story. Player gets injured and season is derailed. People forget how good they were, and assume they won't be able to perform in the future.
Seeing it with Cloke and Swan at the moment, Scharenberg has gone from being potentially the best player in a strong draft, to someone who apparently might not make it, the list could go on forever.

I'd take a fit Cloke over a fit Hawkins every day of the week. Even after a lousy 2014 he still averages more goals per year over the last 4 years. That's good enough for me.

And in the last 3 years Hawkins has averaged 5 more goals a year while having a completely screwed up back for a long period.

If you take out the period when Hawkins couldn't even bend over he comes out ahead by even more.

I'm only taking into account the last 3 season which are the most relevant for 2015

2012 has * all relevance going in to 2015. Both are guns, who really cares.

Moore by a fair margin for me. Quality talls > quality smalls/mids
This is spot on.

By the way, I have no doubt Moore is a future Pies captain. I don't normally make big predictions like this, but avoiding injury, he has all the attributes you need in a young player.

And he loves the club.

How convenient that only the last 3 years are relevant in your world.

Hawkins get a pass because he's got a crook back, Cloke gets nothing because he can't run.... hmmmmm!

Cloke plays more CHF when fit, Hawkins rarely ventures outside the F50.

Lots of other aspects you should compare, I'll take Cloke every time.

And I'm not saying Hawkins can't play footy, just that's he's not in the same league as Selwood and not an example of quality big > quality mid Which is why it was used, nonetheless it's a proposition i support as a general statement.

Back