Opinion Dear Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the VFL game yesterday I was really impressed with Smedts. Probably the best game I have seen him play. I know we had a big win and the opposition wasn't very strong but I don't think that it should take anything away from his performance. The thing that stood out for me was his disposal and decision making. I would love to know his kicking efficiency because I can't remember him missing a target all game. His decision making was excellent and he hardly made a mistake with his (what I reckon was around) 30 touches.
He took most of the kick outs and on a lot of occasions played on quickly and hit up team mates 40-50 metres away. He seemed to panic a bit in his last few games in the AFL but he looked really composed and confident on Saturday. He also came of his man at the right times and linked up through the middle on occasions. Took a nice one on one contested mark deep in the back line too. Hopefully he's learning that role a bit more and getting a bit more confident in that position. Not sure if he will come into the AFL side at all the rest of this year but he has a few more VFL games to come this year to continue his good form and really take a lot of confidence into 2015. He's one of the guys who I really want to see do well as he's got a hell of a lot of talent, just needs to learn how to harness it.
15 efficient kicks, 1 inefficient kick.
Plus 15 efficient handpasses, zero inefficient.

Source:
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...nt=1-118-10583-294689-20320210&ocompID=294689

Thanks Teriyakicat didn't even know there was anywhere to see VFL stats. Only 1 ineffective disposal, not bad from Bille. The 16 Handball receives really highlights his link up work too.
I usually just google the player's name and "VFL stats". Choose the Fox Sportspulse link. You get a table with total games for each year they've played. Click on the season you want and the effective/ineffective stats come up for each game they've played that season.
There's probably an easier way- eg go straight to the Sportspulse website but this method suits me fine :)

I still think he will get there. His output at VFL level has significantly improved the last 6-8 weeks and just needs some time to learn how to bring that at AFL level. Big preseason/season 2015 is for Billie, probably breakout or bust.

I am loathed to write off young players but i am becoming less and less convinced he will make it.
I agree. I've had huge hopes for Billie over a long period of time, but unfortunately those hopes are fading at a rapid rate. He was very disappointing AGAIN on Friday night. If he doesn't have a massive year next year, and by that I mean 10+ AFL games with solid contributions, then he should be de-listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then.

I actually think he needs half a dozen games in a row, to at least have a consistent opportunity to prove he can be useful but it's far too late in the season for that.
Really?

2012 - played Rounds 5, 6, 7 & 8 and then Rounds 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19

2013 - played Rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 (and in rounds 2,3 & 4 he was rubbish) and then Rounds 16, 17, 18 & 19

2014 - played Rounds 11, 12, 13 & 14

He has multiple opportunities to play consecutive games in his 30 odd appearances to date. He is cut more slack than a few of his peers.

Jordan Schroder should be so lucky to get a run in the ones like that.

Last edited:
Was hoping the Cats would get i.Smith insteed in that draft.then hoping Billie would some-what be as good grrr feeling they stuffed up there.
I reckon one Jack Darling, with the benefit of hindsight, would have been the way to go myself.

Yup him too Darling and tommy would be a great mix up forward.
I wasn't completely sold on Darling in his draft year but he has made me eat my words over twice.

If only....

Like others have said, I was disappointed when we drafted him. He was an all the tools player, quick, agile, great kick, good decision maker and excellent hands, but he had a poor carnival and never seemed to lock down a set position or really dominate games like you'd expect.

I was really happy with his work at the end of 2012 across half forward, but he hasn't seemed to take any steps forward since that point. I also can't work out how a player with his combination of speed, agility and foot skills gets caught so often with the footy, and turns the ball over so frequently.

Really?

2012 - played Rounds 5, 6, 7 & 8 and then Rounds 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19

2013 - played Rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 (and in rounds 2,3 & 4 he was rubbish) and then Rounds 16, 17, 18 & 19

2014 - played Rounds 11, 12, 13 & 14

He has multiple opportunities to play consecutive games in his 30 odd appearances to date. He is cut more slack than a few of his peers.

Jordan Schroder should be so lucky to get a run in the ones like that.
For a Geelong recruit he was light on, like Mitchell Brown. It just may take him a while to mature. And for 2014 he was played out of position down back for most of it. He has been training hard playing good in the twos and I think he should be given the chance to see how one more decent preseason produces. Spesh if he hits the weights and puts a few pound on.

I agree. I've had huge hopes for Billie over a long period of time, but unfortunately those hopes are fading at a rapid rate. He was very disappointing AGAIN on Friday night. If he doesn't have a massive year next year, and by that I mean 10+ AFL games with solid contributions, then he should be de-listed.

The thing is he can make it, he has more ability than a lot on our list,but he has to learn to give first option if he`s going to make it.and that aspect of his game hasnt changed since he got here, i am not confident it will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back