Roast Dear Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of the slow ball movement has to do with confidence in yourself and your teammates. It's been that obvious.

As scratchy as last night was, hopefully the last 45min acts as some sort of catalyst and that instinctive movement and support we had for much of last year comes back.

I agree except Dimma just finished pre-season number 5..... So if his players cant execute what he is preaching then he may not be the right man for the job? I have a problem with a coach that continues to blame the players. Continues to make excuses.... its his game plan is it not? if its not working that who's fault is it??? ok its the players. Seriously I want Dimmas job.... a job for life and all he has to do is blame the players....
Yep Hardwick has just finished his 5th preseason and take a look at the difference in the side from his first game in charge to last night. It's changed greatly from then to now and there is still changes to be made to that side. Take out Thomas Grigg Grimes Newman & S.Edwards and replace them with Maric Deledio Rance McDonough & Lennon and the side will be much better equipped to play the game that he wants to play. Right now it's not and it's a combination of injuries/poor form and kids not quite being ready which is stopping it from happening.

Like I said in another thread earlier this week, take a clubs number 1 ruckman, top 2 midfielder and FB out of the side and then have a number of role players struggling for form and any team will be made to look poor. WCE last week against Geelong is a perfect example they went from a side that looked like a genuine premiership threat after 3 weeks to one that looked like us.

Not sure if you saw it during the week but even Cotchin come out and said that the players are to blame for our current predicament as they just aren't working hard enough or performing well enough for long enough in games. Get out best players back and get our role players back to playing their roles and things will get back on track.

Yep Hardwick has just finished his 5th preseason and take a look at the difference in the side from his first game in charge to last night. It's changed greatly from then to now and there is still changes to be made to that side. Take out Thomas Grigg Grimes Newman & S.Edwards and replace them with Maric Deledio Rance McDonough & Lennon and the side will be much better equipped to play the game that he wants to play. Right now it's not and it's a combination of injuries/poor form and kids not quite being ready which is stopping it from happening.

Like I said in another thread earlier this week, take a clubs number 1 ruckman, top 2 midfielder and FB out of the side and then have a number of role players struggling for form and any team will be made to look poor. WCE last week against Geelong is a perfect example they went from a side that looked like a genuine premiership threat after 3 weeks to one that looked like us.

Not sure if you saw it during the week but even Cotchin come out and said that the players are to blame for our current predicament as they just aren't working hard enough or performing well enough for long enough in games. Get out best players back and get our role players back to playing their roles and things will get back on track.

Seriously what do expect Cotchin to say???

So you still want to play Hampson and Maric I see.... lol.

Writing letters to the coach is like writing letters to santa claus.

I remember going to an AGM years ago at the Richmond Town Hall and they allowed questions from the floor. I guess they were thinking people might have questions about our bottom line or how many games we would play at the MCG the next season. And all they got was bozos asking 'Why did you play Dundas on the wing instead of half forward flank last week!?!?' Still remember Northey and Daphne rolling their eyes in exasperation.

Amazing how your view on the TV/computer screen gives you a much clearer idea of what is going on than my seat at the games.

seeing is believing is it? clearly you are a believer in hardwick and his approach, I am not and I base that on many things, I see as much as you cowboy and the key is to see open minded....not with the blinkers on.

We do go to something else, which is the chip around and maintain possession style, as I said we don't have the ability to do it for long enough to force the opposition to change their game plan. So they sit back and wait for the inevitable turnover and make us pay. Last night against the Lions we were fortunate IMO that they weren't able to maintain that style of play that frustrates us and it opened up for us. The Hawks and Geelong will do it and do it for a long period and they are both good enough to make us pay dearly for any errors.
So five years isn't enough, he obviously can't coach then . You are making your own point for the negative RT

When the opposition take away our run and spread we revert to the chip around game to try and drag them out of their defensive set up. Unfortunately at the moment we're making costly mistakes that are hurting us when we do this. The opposition know which players to give a bit of 'freedom' to and which ones to sit on and deny the ball. This is why we wanted to use Martin down back and why Deledio has been used down back and is missed now, because they are 2 that are capable of taking on the dangerous kick that can open up the play. Instead the opposition allow the likes of Thomas Grigg Jackson and when he plays Rance space and get us to use them as the ones to bring the ball out. None of them are skilled enough to take the long option nor are they reliable enough to hit up the lead up target. When this happens the turnover happens and we get punished. It comes down to the players who are our better ball users working hard enough to get open and receive the ball, much like how Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Bartel, Johnson and the like get free.

We can sit here and all blame Hardwick for his lack of alternatives, but if the players aren't working hard enough to get into position to receive the ball or working hard enough to open up space for others to work into then the alternatives he does put it place don't mean s**t and we will continue to pay the price.
So what your saying here is we are being out coaches because Hardwick is misreading his players ability. Well ok then I agree with you RT .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think the chip chip game is all about then, it's our plan B, unfortunately though we don't have the ability to do it for long enough without turning it over. If we did it would then force the opposition into trying something different which might then allow us to get plan A back up and running.

Perhaps you would have been happy when the Lions had 15-18 players in our half of the ground if we simply just kept banging the ball in and then watching as the Lions rebounded and scored against us, oh wait that is what happened, until we went to the chip around style and dragged the Lions out and opened the game up.
The problem isn't that we turn it over(we do in the end sometimes) but moreso we don't leave holes on the flanks for a leading player to lead to and the kicker is given a valid target. This is what the hawks do best.

thats a crap response from someone who does not understand coaching or game plan. we dont have the skills to execute a hawthorn gameplan!
when we go to that methodology, the team closes up, we dont have the skill or the nous to do that, but yet he persists with it, and our players actually do not know how to do it because of their poor skill and intelligencia. hardwick has not offered any alternative, it is so easy to coach against him.
This is an interesting point because every time this question comes up on footy panels with ex coaches and players they all say you still coach to the philosophy of the coach and rotate players who can play it.

Dimma thinks our problem last night was our kicking at goal.... the mind boggles!

You're making it sound like Dimma thought it was the ONLY problem with our play, when he actually said that was just one problem that needs to be addressed.

I've said it before, and I'm not about to change my tune: Dimma and the players are saying that THE problem is that they've lost the spark that lead to last year's run and carry game.

It's not a change in game plan, it's not lack of motivation, it's not lack of fitness, it's not lack of quality on the list: it's almost entirely mental --or, at least, that's what the coach and playing group are saying.

I'm not saying these other things are all at 100%, I'm just saying that given we have the same coach and the (largely) the same playing group as last year, and given that they all keep saying they WANT to play the sort of footy they played last year, it makes more sense to me to say the problem is mental rather than saying it has something to do with factors which haven't actually changed.

Now, maybe folk want to blame Dimma for not having players in the right frame of mind, fair enough.

What I object to is this incessant stream of criticism which really doesn't bear any serious scrutiny. I mean, really, nobody, least of all Dimma, thinks our performance in the second quarter against Brisbane can be blamed on poor kicking for goal. And lack of fitness? Or the quality of the list? Yeah, sure these might not be ideal, but they don't even account for our inconsistency from quarter to quarter, let alone explain the difference between Richmond 1013 and Richmond 2014.

seeing is believing is it? clearly you are a believer in hardwick and his approach, I am not and I base that on many things, I see as much as you cowboy and the key is to see open minded....not with the blinkers on.
Yes I'm a believer in his approach, it has taken us from a team compared to worse that Fitzroy to a finals side last year. Yes we are struggling now, but I'm backing him in to change things up and get us back on track.

Malthouse took Pies to 2 straight flags then missed finals 2 straight years then came back and took them to a flag.
Thompson took the Cats to finals 3 of first 6 then had a poor year in 2006, everyone wanted him out, a year later they won a flag.
Clarkson took the Hawks to a flag, then missed the finals year after, again there were calls to dump him, came back and finished runner up and won a flag last 2 years.

So instead of doing what we always do, which is jump as soon as the fans demand change, how about we stick with the guy that helped get us out of the mess and see if he can turn it around.

BTW speaking of having blinkers on, couldn't be further from the truth. My eyes are open enough to see not only the good but also the bad that is happening. All the haters see is the bad and they continue to demand that success happens yesterday.

Seriously what do expect Cotchin to say???

So you still want to play Hampson and Maric I see.... lol.
Are you suggesting that Cotchin is lying? If our captain is lying then we're in much more trouble than anyone thought.

Yes I do, Maric Hampson & Griffiths might work differently to how Hampson Vickery & Griffiths worked. As good as Griffiths has been as a back up ruck, I think he'll be better at CHF and it allows us to use 2 genuine rucks on the ball.

Are you suggesting that Cotchin is lying? If our captain is lying then we're in much more trouble than anyone thought.

Yes I do, Maric Hampson & Griffiths might work differently to how Hampson Vickery & Griffiths worked. As good as Griffiths has been as a back up ruck, I think he'll be better at CHF and it allows us to use 2 genuine rucks on the ball.

Lmao. We are basically going to carry Hampson do he can ruck for 20 minutes? If Dimma does that than I'll start calling him Dumma.

Lmao. We are basically going to carry Hampson do he can ruck for 20 minutes? If Dimma does that than I'll start calling him Dumma.
How about you give it a chance to be put into play before you criticise, never know it might actually surprise you.

How about you give it a chance to be put into play before you criticise, never know it might actually surprise you.

Dimma will be the third coach to try ... Fool me once fool me twice ... Fool me a triplet?

Don't much care whether it's Hampson or not, but I think _RT_ is on the right track here.

If we're going to structure our forward line around Reiwoldt and another tall (Griffiths or Vickery or whoever), then we need a third player who can play both ruck and forward.

Without this third tall, we'd have to compromise our ruck set up or our forward set up if either our ruckman or one of our forward talls gets injured --we'd be back to the same situation we were in against Geelong when McGuane had to ruck for half the match when Maric went down.

So we need a third tall option, and I think it would be worth looking at Maric, Hampson and Griffiths as the three.

Must say its hard to keep faith with what we've produced thus far. IMO we seem to lack run and carry, not that I'm an expert on our game plan.. Only a couple of years ago we were force feeding senior games into our young players, now they can't get a run... Thomas, Hampton, petterd, even Grigg and houli have been a little ordinary this year, I haven't seen any vfl but hope elton, mcbean, helbig etc are developing and not getting discouraged from not getting a game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back