Death of a Gentleman - new cricket doco

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Couldn't see a thread on this... Jarrod Kimber and Sam Collins have a documentary coming out later this year about the future of Test cricket. It should be worth seeing solely due to the number of people they have interviewed over the past year, including many great cricketing names.

I think something like this is long overdue, especially given the recent controversy over the recent ICC proposal to create a 'Big Three' which essentially hands control over the game to the BCCI, ECB and CA. If you're interested in the intersection between sport, business and politics, this might be for you. Sport has to make money to survive, but it's what the administrators do with that money that is the issue. When you allow the people who run the game to make decisions that don't grow the game and line their own pockets instead of putting money back into the game to improve it, the sport suffers.

Jarrod Kimber's January 2014 column about the ICC proposals: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/710789.html

Death of a Gentleman website: http://deathofagentlemanfilm.com/

They've been working on it for quite a while, Jarrod has been busy touring obviously, but apparently deep into post production. I think they were aiming for a release just before the English summer. Should be good!

Relevant bump

Premiered at Sheffield Doc/Fest this week, here's a brief review:

A very different world view was on show in Death of a Gentleman. It’s about the ICC (the International Cricket Council) and is billed as an investigation into “the biggest scandal in sport”. The filmmakers, Sam Collins and Jarrod Kimber, made a point of sticking with that phrase, even in the light of current revelations about FIFA. As a non-cricket fan, it was with some trepidation that I went to the screening, but this rousing and powerful film about greed and secret deals at the highest levels of cricket is a persuasive and gripping story, whatever your level of interest in the game. It’s also the opening salvo in a campaign to clean up the ICC. Look out for its release in July.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/notes-sheffield-docfest-2015

No information about screenings yet, but they are working on it.

Can't wait to see this. Kimber is a passionate, entertaining and eloquent advocate on this subject for Cricinfo. I can imagine that any documentary on the same material would have to reflect that.

Would presume we will have to wait until summer for it to premiere over here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is the lead actor in the movie? I want slumdog millionaire guy to play Ishant Sharma.

Does anyone know if this is going to get a cinematic release in Australia?

I'd been holding off watching because I thought they might be bringing it out here during the cricket season. I'd definitely rather see it at the cinema. Haven't heard anything about it coming though.

Just got back from the premiere at the Chauvel in Sydney. Fantastic film for any fan of cricket; obviously a very serious subject but injected with dashes of Two Chucks humour that helps carry it through.

Ed Cowan and Gideon Haigh did a Q&A at the end which was quite illuminating; events have moved on quite a bit from the end of the film so it was good that they were able to fill in some gaps.

Go and see it if it gets a release near you.

Would be keen to see a part 2 in a few years. Really positive moves led by former BCCI Manohar that gives me hope. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years

I've owned this documentary on DVD for about a year now, and I've watched it several times. The problems the world (not only cricket) faces is campaigners like Giles Clarke seem to gravitate to positions of authority and power. If more people shared the philosophies of Ed Cowan's father, the game of cricket would be in far better shape than it is at present.

I specifically liked Gideon Haigh's question, "Does cricket make money to exist or does it exist to make money?".

Just finished watching it. Thought it was going to be one of those '20/20 is killing test cricket' rants, but it actually became pretty interesting as a bit of an expose on world cricket.

If you haven't watched it, look it up on Netflix and hang in there the whole way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back