Review Dees v Gary Ablett Jr and the Gold Coast Suns - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else sick of our players leading too early? As soon as someone takes a mark they lead off before the bloke has got hehind his mark then they quit and stand around once he's gotten back.

Yes. Especially coming out of defence. It end up with the ground clogged up with a bunch of stagnant players, and our ball movement grinds to a halt. Needs to be sorted out.

Nathan Jones has to be doing well in the Brownlow count too. 38 disposals and 7 tackes v St Kilda, 34 disposals and 8 tackles v West Coast, 28 disposals and 4 tackles v Carlton and 30 disposals + 5 tackles v Gold Coast today. This is a near meaningless statistic but he had the highest Dream Team score on the ground in R1 and R2 and was second to Ablett by 4 points today (eight highest v Carlton but probably B.O.G). At a conservative estimate he's probably polling 1, 1, 3 and 2 votes for those four games. 7 votes in less than a quarter of a season is pretty damn good. And yet he's still criminally underrated by everyone outside of the MFC.

Erm, the booing WAS at the ump, I'm sure. Just because it continued on a bit - probably in an attempt to distract Ablett - doesn't mean it was directed at him. I booing my **** off, and not at Ablett.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm sure most weren't booing him. It just didn't come across great on the TV.

However, I wouldn't blame extended booing after that decision. Ugh.

Good
-We were ordinary for most of the day but came close.
-A couple of times from stoppages we got some really good spread. Needs to happen more.
-Viney, Jones, Dawes, Chip
-The person who gave a bag of money to the Score Review Official™

Bad
-Watts wasn't up to standard today. It's fashionable to bag him and I generally have time for him, but today was a stinker
-Our disposal. I have to watch through my fingers when we work it out of defence. And when we kick for goal. And when we try and hit a target. Pretty much any time we have the ball.
-I don't really agree with people who say N Jones is underrated. I'm pretty sure anybody who knows anything about football knows he's a great player.

Ugly
-My kingdom for someone who can hold a chest mark

They did alright today. They really fought it out.

Watts was s**t. Howe needs a run in the twos. And mckenzie is really on last legs.

But overall, it was not a terrible performance and I think the boys will be really rueing a missed opportunity which should fuel the fire to continue being competitive.

Edit: oh, and NATHAN ******* JONES. 'Nuff said <3
Howe was good in the second half.

Good
What others have said, Dawes and Frawley, Jones and Viney, Cross and Vince.
Didn't play well, didn't get smashed.
Bad
We were monstered by the GC big blokes May and Stanley and Thompson. We were a tall man short in the back half and that produced both marking and crumbing opportunities for GC. This is the price of putting Frawley forward, especially against a team that plays their big forwards, unlike Carlton did last week. We really need Garland back and Hogan fit to balance up the side.
Despite our mids being goodish (see above) they had Rischitelli, Broughton, O'Meara, Swallow, Shaw and Ablett in the link work. We are short of class whereas they can afford a couple down in a game. We missed Tyson but when one failed they just had another one for most of the time.

Nathan Jones has to be doing well in the Brownlow count too. 38 disposals and 7 tackes v St Kilda, 34 disposals and 8 tackles v West Coast, 28 disposals and 4 tackles v Carlton and 30 disposals + 5 tackles v Gold Coast today. This is a near meaningless statistic but he had the highest Dream Team score on the ground in R1 and R2 and was second to Ablett by 4 points today (eight highest v Carlton but probably B.O.G). At a conservative estimate he's probably polling 1, 1, 3 and 2 votes for those four games. 7 votes in less than a quarter of a season is pretty damn good. And yet he's still criminally underrated by everyone outside of the MFC.
But we only won one of those. The votes tend to go to the winners, especially in the games where we get smashed. We could easily get no votes in Rounds 2&3 and very few in round 1. Selwood and Ablett could easily have 12 so far.

good. nate jones again showed his quality.
bad. bernard vince is better then what he is showing. sounds like the bloke he replaced.
fugly. watts. just no strength in contests.

bad. bernard vince is better then what he is showing. sounds like the bloke he replaced.

Good call. We need to talk about Vince. He's not horrible, but what is he offering to the team at the moment? I may be missing him when he's around the clinches but I'm struggling to think of moments he impacted the game.

Good call. We need to talk about Vince. He's not horrible, but what is he offering to the team at the moment? I may be missing him when he's around the clinches but I'm struggling to think of moments he impacted the game.
I feel confident when Vince has the ball. He knows where his team mates are, he makes the right decisions, he is courageous and his disposal is good. HE is a plus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another goodThe Lynden Dunn torp up the guts right at the end to get the final goal. What all of us who don't know much about footy think the kick out should be every time.

Good:
Nathan Jones- Superstar

Jack Viney - His clearance work was fantastic and his attack at the footy is unparalleled.. going to be a jet

Dawes & Frawely - Their presence up forward makes such a difference to our team.. great options and hunger for the contest.. Shame about their kicking

The fact we didn't play great but stayed in the contest (partly due to GCs goal kicking)..

Bad- Our use of the ball.. Partly because we don't spread hard enough but even when we do our kicking seriously let's is down..

Our work at clearances - Not good enough today, left to too few

Our kicking at goal when the game was on the line - missed to many getable chances

Tom McDonalds defensive work today.. Looked like Jack Watts

Ugly
Jake Spencer - He may have a crack but * he is shizen..

Our second quarter - Neeld era stuff

The UMPIRES - some of the worst I have seen for a long time.. kicked us all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good
The hospitality in the Biff Industries superbox
Nathan Jones
Jack Viney
Pedo having a wholehearted bash
Getting an outrageous decision in our favour thanks to a drunk video umpire
Dawes (even with the misses)

Bad
JFK's first half.
Vince, Tyson, Bail, Spencer, Terlich, Georgiou, McKenzie, Jetta
The ludicrous amount of space that we were giving their forwards
Beating murdered for pace and run

Ugly
Getting an outrageous decision against us thanks to a drunk field umpire
Watts
Spencer (and I usually defend him)
Terlich's kick out of bounds in the first quarter - one of the worst MFC kicks I've ever seen.

Terlich's kick out of bounds in the first quarter - one of the worst MFC kicks I've ever seen.

We need a Hall of Fame for shizen MFC kicks.

Yes, it would need to be a ****ing big hall.

We need a Hall of Fame for shizen MFC kicks.

I wish I could find the footage of either Simon Buckley or Chris Johnson trying to kick out to themselves and falling over just to prove to myself that it actually happened and that I'm not imagining it.

This actually needs its own thread.

Good
The hospitality in the Biff Industries superbox
Nathan Jones
Jack Viney
Pedo having a wholehearted bash
Getting an outrageous decision in our favour thanks to a drunk video umpire
Dawes (even with the misses)

Bad
JFK's first half.
Vince, Tyson, Bail, Spencer, Terlich, Georgiou, McKenzie, Jetta
The ludicrous amount of space that we were giving their forwards
Beating murdered for pace and run

Ugly
Getting an outrageous decision against us thanks to a drunk field umpire
Watts
Spencer (and I usually defend him)
Definitely rivals that Morton kick out of bounds. Very similar area too if I'm not mistaken. Must be our fault for sitting there

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Definitely rivals that Morton kick out of bounds. Very similar area too if I'm not mistaken. Must be our fault for sitting there

Was there an out of bounds one too? It's not this one you're thinking of?

But we only won one of those. The votes tend to go to the winners, especially in the games where we get smashed. We could easily get no votes in Rounds 2&3 and very few in round 1. Selwood and Ablett could easily have 12 so far.
Umps love midfielders though, and the reason we lost the first two games is because we were outplayed up forward and in defence. N Jones won the disposal counts, as did we as a team. Doesn't really matter but I can't think of a player who deserves a Brownlow more than Chunk.

Couldn't fault the effort again today (except maybe in the 2nd quarter). Just the skills, time and time again, were not up to a suitable standard.

A wasted chance to pick up 4 points.
Good:
*We fought it out, where in previous years we would have rolled over and died after that second quarter.
*N Jones - just a gun. What more can you say.
*Dawes/Frawley forward line - worked well again today. The missed shots made me tear my hair out though.
*Cross/Vince/Viney - All fought hard.

Bad:
*The second quarter - we got absolutely mauled, and really shouldn't have had a chance to pinch the win had Gold Coast kicked straight.
*Terlich. Apart from that goal it wasn't a pretty day. Has to be dropped next week.
*McDonald. Dirty day. I don't know if he's suffering a bit without Frawley down there? Need Garland back next week to help with the Franklin / Tippett combo. Oh, and grow the hair back, please!
*Tackling technique. Too many accidental decapitations today. McKenzie and Pedersen come to mind, but I'm sure there were others that were just too clumsy today.
*Jetta. Maybe a bit much to expect him to step up straight away in his first game back at AFL level? Or maybe he's just a good VFL player, and that's it.
*Watts. Shitted me to tears today.
*Tyson. Early season form has evaporated. Looked to be second guessing himself a fair bit today.

Ugly:
*McKenzie / Ablett decision - What an appalling umpiring decision to pay at a critical time of the game. If Brent Macaffer was allowed to do what he was to Trent Cotchin, then McKenzie's 'blocking' of Ablett was nothing.

*Booing of Ablett after the decision. Boo the maggot that payed the decision. Don't boo Ablett.

*GC's cheap goals from centre breaks in the 4th. It's hurts when you fight so hard for a goal, only for the opposition to score a quick one from the centre break immediately after. Happened multiple times in the last quarter. Maybe more of a credit to the GC's mids, but we needed more game sense in the centre square at critical times. Gotta lock that pill down, boys.

*Goal Review System - For f**ks sake. What's the point of having the system if you can't overturn a decision like that. The ball went at 90 degrees off of the Gold Coast defenders fist! I mean, I'm happy to take the goal, but really...

Exactly what he said.

Also, dropped chest marks are inexcusable, and there were probably 5 or so throughout the entire match in our forward line. Different result if they were taken.

Another fugly - Dennis commenting on Jetta as though he was the sub - "he's had an impact since coming on". It's like he left of the remainder of the sentence, "in the 4th quarter, having done next to nothing in the first 3 quarters".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back