Review Dees V Hawk - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good- Kept the Hawks to 51 inside 50's
Max Gawn could be a very dominant ruck forward one day
Week in week out Neville Jetta proves that you can be a solid AFL player if you concentrate on maximising your skills

Ugly- Jack Watts and Chris Dawes again

Good: Jetta! Ran himself to exhaustion spewed, cramped and still had to keep playing! Poor bloke either way he was just a rock in defence he is a gut runner, has gotten so intelligent as a player, his skills have been absolutely exemplary he barely misses a target by hand or foot. He was just un-beatable played on Smith, Puopolo, hill and Breust for intervals and beat every single one of them. Never stopped running even at one stage I'm not sure if anyone saw but smith and Puopolo ganged up on him to try stop his effectiveness to no prevail. He took great contested and un-contested marks even intercepted once or twice he got dropped at least eight times and just got back up. His tackles were absolutely tenacious and couldn't be escaped. Jetta is an absolute gun and i must admit i have the biggest man-crush on him. He is a GUN.

And i thought i saw some prett decent long penetrating kicks from Barry but he has zero lateral movement but his I did enjoy his long kicking and that one kick under pressure that set-up a goal in the inside fifty was not bad. I think he showed enough to say that he may one day be good enough to play consistent footy.

I didn't think that demons actually played terribly at all, I think you did the best you could against a top of the ladder team. Everyone did quite well bar a few.

Bad: At times deep in defence a lot of slow moving lateral hand passes when they should probably have been trying to kick long because they are just putting way more pressure on themselves then they should be. Kent, s**t-house but still young and developing so don't lose all hope.

Fugly: Jack Watts although Dawes did at least attempt to create contests he just wasn't good enough. Scary that the Dees' only decent forward at the moment is a forward/ruck but fantastic personal achievement for the big man at least.

Last edited:
Good- Kept the Hawks to 51 inside 50's
Max Gawn could be a very dominant ruck forward one day
Week in week out Neville Jetta proves that you can be a solid AFL player if you concentrate on maximising your skills

Ugly- Jack Watts and Chris Dawes again

No mention in the "Uglies" of your avatar mancrush Dean Kent? He was unsighted all day.

No mention in the "Uglies" of your avatar mancrush Dean Kent? He was unsighted all day.

Except when he goaled. The NickGrant avatar is definitely an "ugly" though.

Good
Gawn - hands were good, pushed forward and dropped back, was very impressive.
Riley - most impressed I've been by Riley. Did his usual tackling like a monster but showed some real attack both to get the ball and then in using it.
Jetta - not sure he's been beaten by his opponent this year and was terrific again today. Clearly struggled physically in the last quarter but really toughed it out. If more players had his work ethic and discipline we'd be a better side.
Frawley - thought he worked hard, lead well but not quite polished enough to make them pay. Could've really done to have him on Roughy today. Still hope he stays.
Jamar's marking contest with Hodge - Hodge dropped in the space in front of Jamar and the Russian made him earn it. So often we're the "nice" team who are careful of the opposition. I want teams to hurt when they play us. It's a reason I really wanted Tapscott to succeed and why I'm one of Spencer's bigger supporters.

Bad
Watts - he's getting worse as the year goes on and the positives are rapidly becoming history. His poise and skill are now less prevalent and his lack of hardness and intensity are quite alarming. So disappointing.
Dawes - his workrate is good but he just isn't impacting games. Also really needs to find some aggression - he's too nice.
Puopolo's Specky - biggest Capper "hands on shoulders" grab I've seen since Moorcroft.

Fugly
Kicking in Danger - is there any such thing anymore? Musta seen it five times tonight.
Matt Jones - hard worker but poor skilled and dumb and all were on display tonight.
Lack of Spread - lack of skill, lack of confidence, lack of trust, lack of understanding, lack of workrate, whatever it is it's infuriating to see our players constantly set up across half back with zero options to move to up the ground. It leaves pin point kicks as the only possibility and we aren't capable of pulling that off so it leads to constant pressure in defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
Neville Jetta, Nathan Jones, Howe, Gawn and Jamar were all solid I thought.

Bad
Who knows? Everything/one else. Our ability to convert from favourable positions was particularly bad today.

Fugly
Cannon82 changing his avatar. was one of the best on the board. and the way it came about. still makes me laugh when I think about it.

Fugly
Cannon82 changing his avatar. was one of the best on the board. and the way it came about. still makes me laugh when I think about it.

Cannot believe you just fuglied Yvonne Strahovski. Besides, I haven't seen that youngbear guy around for ages, so it kind of lost relevance.

Good
Gawn - hands were good, pushed forward and dropped back, was very impressive.
Riley - most impressed I've been by Riley. Did his usual tackling like a monster but showed some real attack both to get the ball and then in using it.
Jetta - not sure he's been beaten by his opponent this year and was terrific again today. Clearly struggled physically in the last quarter but really toughed it out. If more players had his work ethic and discipline we'd be a better side.
Frawley - thought he worked hard, lead well but not quite polished enough to make them pay. Could've really done to have him on Roughy today. Still hope he stays.
Jamar's marking contest with Hodge - Hodge dropped in the space in front of Jamar and the Russian made him earn it. So often we're the "nice" team who are careful of the opposition. I want teams to hurt when they play us. It's a reason I really wanted Tapscott to succeed and why I'm one of Spencer's bigger supporters.

Bad
Watts - he's getting worse as the year goes on and the positives are rapidly becoming history. His poise and skill are now less prevalent and his lack of hardness and intensity are quite alarming. So disappointing.
Dawes - his workrate is good but he just isn't impacting games. Also really needs to find some aggression - he's too nice.
Puopolo's Specky - biggest Capper "hands on shoulders" grab I've seen since Moorcroft.

Fugly
Kicking in Danger - is there any such thing anymore? Musta seen it five times tonight.
Matt Jones - hard worker but poor skilled and dumb and all were on display tonight.
Lack of Spread - lack of skill, lack of confidence, lack of trust, lack of understanding, lack of workrate, whatever it is it's infuriating to see our players constantly set up across half back with zero options to move to up the ground. It leaves pin point kicks as the only possibility and we aren't capable of pulling that off so it leads to constant pressure in defense.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Nate Jones and Tyson worked hard all day, and I thought Howe played a good one too. Really good to have Crossy back out there to - he seems to lift the intensity of pretty much the whole side when he's out there.

I don't think today can be put down to lack of workrate. I thought that most of the side worked hard all day. We just lack the talent/skill and team understanding when you compare us to a team like the Hawks. They got hold of us in the second quarter for a period and put a gap in us. We could have unravelled completely, but we didn't. We fought it out, and actually put the Hawks under a fair bit of pressure for most of the second half. Our tackling pressure was up today, which is really good to see. Guys like Cross, Jetta, Riley etc really hit in hard.

We should play Gawn, Barry and Michie for the rest of the season. Gawn - because he was excellent today, and provided a solid target when forward. Michie - because we need to see more of him at this level to see if he can hold down a midfield place. Barry - because there is something there to work with, and he'll learn a fair bit over the next few weeks if given the chance.

I really don't know what to make of Watts any more. One moment probably summed it up best today. We were coming out of defence in the 3rd (4th?) quarter and Watts gave it to... someone. Might have been Dunn. I dunno. Anyway, the situation demanded Watts gut run hard past him to give him an option and to move the ball on with purpose. Instead, he toddles past at a jog, gets about 12m past the man on the mark, and sticks his arms out. That was it for me. Not sure if it's lack of desire or lack of game sense, but it was just rubbish.

I thought it was Portia de Rossi when I was reading posts on Tapatalk. Now I see that it's not, I'm slightly disappointed.

If we had played like this last week we would have given Brisbane a good old touch up.

If we play like this next week we'll do the same to GWS.

Michie's cleanness with the ball really impressed me. Could see the concerns over his workrate at times, but there is so much to work with for the coaches.

That spoil on Lewis was magical until Kent mucked it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back