Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic: Tyson. Hnnnnnnnnnng.

Good:
Jones
Jetta
Riley
Our fightback in the last two and a half quarters, expected us to go down by 10 goals and it looked that way for a while
Blease got into it a little bit, so did Tapscott
Jack Watts' third quarter was the best football he's played. Want to see more of it.

Bad:
Missed opportunities cost us dearly in the end
End of the first quarter/start of the second quarter
Average kicking skills letting us down

Fugly:
Some decisions were absolutely horrid

Good form by your team, loved the guard of honour for ports departing, class act.

Shame you didn't quite get there, cheers

Hey guys, I'm a port supporter who has been to every Port Adelaide home game this year so far and I must say that the Melbourne supporters are the game were absolutely fantastic. You guys definitely deserved a win and I hope that all of the competition soon realizes that you guys are no easy-beats, because the pressure and grunt you bring into the game is great to watch. I'd like to mention the fact that many of your supporters, including the cheer squad, waiting patiently behind while the Port funs were singing there song so you could give Dom a good sendoff. That was absolutely amazing and I only wish that all supporters would be as loyal and respectful as you guys. Hold your heads high boys, there is a lot to be proud of at Melbourne :)

Six losses under 20 points

Will watch replay tomorrow, spent half the game at work and the other half driving to the essendon game. Did manage to catch the last 10 minutes at a random pub, :((((((((((((

Very unlucky. I too thought the umpiring was poor. The crucial one was the one that cost you the 3 quarter time lead and ultimately the game. Port had the calls going their way.

Great spirit by you guys. Great fight back in the second. When Melbourne are on they are very fun to watch.

ALso, Nick Riewoldt. If there is a more overrated player in the AFL (bar NicNat) point him out to me.

He's been doing a pretty good job with a bunch of spuds and kids this year. Worthy of grudging respect even if you're not a fan, I think.

The good;
Jones and Tyson, winning clearances made a difference this week.
Riley, his intensity and tackling early on was terrific.
Jetta, great game again he is the second best user behind Dunn.
Dunn, held schulz for most of the day. Garland seemed to be getting back to near his 2013 form.
The pace of blease and JKH. To lesser extent Bail.
Tappy being used at both ends.
Watts second half.

The bad;
Watts first half
Grimes on the full, Jones taking advantage.
Bombing away to the forward line, slow movement in at times
Tom MacDonald when the ball is in his hands, not to mention when Wingard marked the ball in the pocket, he walked away from the mark which would of allowed Wingard to play on easily he also didn't man up schulz running into the goal square.
The last throw in before 3/4 qrtr time, no where near enough numbers around the ball, allowed gray an easy clearance which resulted in a "free kick" to Wingard on the siren.

Ugly;
The umpires, enough said.

He's been doing a pretty good job with a bunch of spuds and kids this year. Worthy of grudging respect even if you're not a fan, I think.
Nothing short of a superstar, Nick Riewoldt.

Tom McDonald was also really good on Westhoff all day, had him pretty well held. Especially after quarter time.

He might be doing well, but he is still overrated. Watch him closely. He takes mark after mark 75m out from goal and then the Saints end up holding the ball up for the next 20 seconds to give him time to get back to the goal square. That's if he doesn't run under the ball or go to ground. I know I hold an unpopular view with him because he is untouchable but I do think he is overrated.

I think Matthew Lloyd had the guts to point it out a few months ago?

He might be doing well, but he is still overrated. Watch him closely. He takes mark after mark 75m out from goal and then the Saints end up holding the ball up for the next 20 seconds to give him time to get back to the goal square. That's if he doesn't run under the ball or go to ground. I know I hold an unpopular view with him because he is untouchable but I do think he is overrated.

I think Matthew Lloyd had the guts to point it out a few months ago?

I think you need to go and watch some more Nick Reiwoldt mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the umpiring was a chook raffle all day, especially HTB. I've been surprised at the outrage over the Wingard one? Thought it was pretty clear cut to be honest.

Too many missed shots at goal in the first half from 25m out cost you more than the umpiring.

Tyson is gonna be (probably already is) a gun, and Port refuses to man up Nathan Jones - ever. Always kills us.

Anyway, reckon you will be a good side once Roos hangs up his hat and someone a bit more adventurous takes over.

Only caught the second half.... :)

Good:
Watts third quarter
Extra man at stoppages to win more clearances
Some pace and running goals
Class after the game for Casissi

Bad:
We couldn't hang on for a win
Lacking a forward line (come on Dawsey!)

Fugly:
Out of bounds on the full.

Also - several people have Riley in their best/good lists yet he was subbed out at 3/4 time? Injury, structure or fatigue?

Good:
Watts third quarter
Extra man at stoppages to win more clearances
Some pace and running goals
Class after the game for Casissi

Bad:
We couldn't hang on for a win
Lacking a forward line (come on Dawsey!)

Fugly:
Out of bounds on the full.

Also - several people have Riley in their best/good lists yet he was subbed out at 3/4 time? Injury, structure or fatigue?
Fatigue. Gotta remember he had no preseason. Was definitely one of our best in the first half.

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=669011

The hurt from Dom here is almost nice. This one isn't going anywhere.

I'd say he was stuffed by Q3. Had six tackles in Q1 (!) and only one more for the day. Great tackles too, violent and mean-spirited.

Great tackles too, violent and mean-spirited.

The way sport should be played. When off the footy field I picture Riley stealing children's lunch money, beating up pensioners for slowing him up on the sidewalk and biting rabid dogs.

I thought the umpiring was a chook raffle all day, especially HTB. I've been surprised at the outrage over the Wingard one? Thought it was pretty clear cut to be honest.

Too many missed shots at goal in the first half from 25m out cost you more than the umpiring.

Tyson is gonna be (probably already is) a gun, and Port refuses to man up Nathan Jones - ever. Always kills us.

Anyway, reckon you will be a good side once Roos hangs up his hat and someone a bit more adventurous takes over.

Wingard one is arguable but is rarely called that way. The fact that Watts was punished for going for the ball, there was nothing else he could do other than shirk the contest (which would earn Watts a lot of support wouldn't it)

Jones getting knocked in the head right before a Port goal was worse, but in the end our decision making and mistakes in the last few minutes cost us the match.

Wingard one is arguable but is rarely called that way. The fact that Watts was punished for going for the ball, there was nothing else he could do other than shirk the contest (which would earn Watts a lot of support wouldn't it)

Jones getting knocked in the head right before a Port goal was worse, but in the end our decision making and mistakes in the last few minutes cost us the match.
Yeah Watts was unlucky but those "running back to spoil with your eyes on the opponent" are often called a push, even when you make contact with the ball. At the end of the day they get called either way all the time, but every single game review I've read in the media has highlighted it as a pivotal moment and a terrible free kick. I thought it was a 50/50 that fell our way.

Definitely not the worst decision the umpires made on the day.

Perhaps the media focus should be on why the balls weren't pumped up properly...

Yeah Watts was unlucky but those "running back to spoil with your eyes on the opponent" are often called a push, even when you make contact with the ball. At the end of the day they get called either way all the time, but every single game review I've read in the media has highlighted it as a pivotal moment and a terrible free kick. I thought it was a 50/50 that fell our way.

Definitely not the worst decision the umpires made on the day.

Perhaps the media focus should be on why the balls weren't pumped up properly...

Definitely agree on this point; it was an amateurish detriment to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back