Autopsy Dees vs the GWS Dollarmites - The bad & the fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Viney isn't a pussycat...Bernie Vince is though
Vince hasn't done anything wrong. He can't do it himself! If his teammates don't work for him, getting the ball himself is only half the battle. Even Jones butchers the ball. Because there's no where to go with it once we get it! So don't go putting s**t on my boy! lol

Possibly, but that might not be the best way to go about it with a group that has almost no confidence.

Meh, the time for coaxing and coddling is over. If these guys want to play football for a living, time to stand up. If not, toodles.

I've said since the start of the year that Roos needed one year to get settled in and have a real look at what he's dealing with. Now that he's had one year under his belt and he's had the time to carefully review each and every player, next year is when the fun begins. At the conclusion of this year, the off-season is where everything will be shook up. Players will be delisted. New players will be drafted. And then there's free agency and the trade period, which could result in anything. If we have NOT improved by the end of next year, even after these changes, and with half a new list on the ground (or close to it)... then I will seriously begin to doubt if we'll ever escape this black hole at all. If we haven't moved up the ladder by the end of the next year, we may be well and truly ****ed.

But as of right now, I refuse to believe it. I never expected miracles in year one of Roos' stay. We've seen improvement. We won some good games. And yes, like yesterday, we've seen some bloody shockers. But next year is the one that tells the tale. IMO.

Captain Jack for all the good points that you've made, our % is currently less than 70. There is no question our defence had to improve but all Im getting at is what is defence in the modern game?

You say our team isn't up to scratch and I agree mate but then why do we keep trying to go around in circles, backwards, across and repeat as if we have the skills of Hawthorn? As you said, we over cooked it and for every weakness we have going forward, we have just as many going backwards and across. Our defenders are some of our worst ball users yet we constantly put them under pressure to be our best ball users.

I also think that we have defenders who are overusing the footy as a result of us being a back-half centric side. It's not just McDonald - M Jones, Tapscott and Howe are examples among others who like to be clever at times but it's a symptom not a fault in some ways I think. Only Jetta stands out among them as a low risk player who only handballs if he has to and generally uses his head.

Further, the amount of players who crap themselves in forward 50 is alarming.

Roos identified the right starting point. We had to be tighter, work harder, lock it up around the ground. Nobody could argue with that. We have had games this year to suggest inroads but come pre-season and with the list turnover I'm scratching my head as to how better off our players are as footballers as a result of 2014.

Yes, they got a better taste of the hard work required for AFL level footy but we arguably made it harder than it had to be and I don't think it is complaining in raising that point.

In the end it is a double-edged sword. On one hand I feel that we have actually made our list look worse than what it is by not attacking as most teams would and exposing our weaknesses down back. On the other hand by exposing our weaknesses in such an acute way Roos may have fast-tracked his understanding of our list in the context of the type of players he wants.

Either way trade period can't come quick enough. :)

Also my concluding comments:

Can we please, please start winning at some point? Sadly I think the club has had a significant increase of members since we first turned to garbage as a team in 2007. We sit around 6-7k higher in members (compared to 2006 - a finals year) yet the club hasn't had to improve on-field to generate the increase. The part that makes me concerned is that supporters are at the point where they won’t tolerate this endless moribund state & at some point will walk away until the club actually shows that it cares about the position it is in on-field.

Paul Roos can't keep blaming the past, he is now in charge so accept responsibility too not just the massive pay each week. What can the club do? What every other club on the bottom of the ladder has managed to do within a decade, climb the ladder (special consideration is given to the MFC of the 70's & 80's for wretchedness).

I'm not trying to be flippant but if this survey was sent out after yesterday’s game I think you'd get some honest & forthright - although emotional responses that would crystallize the passionate supporter’s feelings. You probably will just dismiss this & I could go on for longer but in all honesty I hope with all sincereness’ we soon see some sustained improvement at the MFC & we are no longer a joke to others nor a blight on the game we created.

Regards

Every box that allowed text had a few things to say.

Anyone got any pics of war or the ebola outbreak to lighten the mood?
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm not a GWS fan just to get that out up front. I don't have a team apart from my club in Darwin who are wildly successful btw.

anyway.

I know defence wins finals and it has always been thus. but

It's easier to defend in your forward 50 than in the back 50. teach the players to defend but start with the forwards and mids. put the talent, such as it is, around the ball and forward. fight to get it into the 50 and then fight, scratch, claw, gouge etc to keep it in and get repeat opportunities. 3 of the top 4 sides play like this. Sydney, Freo and Hawthorn. Geelong have a different method which is based on their back 6 holding their own and repelling attacks at light speed thru the corridor with risky and sometimes costly ball movement.

Have a peek at Freo after qtr time yesterday. they won the first contest of the 2nd qtr and Hawthorn had all sorts of trouble getting it out of the back 50 and when they did it often came straight back in for the rest of the contest.

I think trying to keep scores against down by having everyone backwards of centre is damage limitation rather than anything else. but you can't score at all. people are getting the ball at hb and looking up and seeing nothing at all. Essendon on the weekend lost their shape according to Bomber and it wasn't until Winderlich was moved forward and didn't get sucked all the way up the ground, thereby giving them at least an out and spreading the WC defence a bit, that Essendon started to get some momentum.

yes, Freo, Hawthorn, Sydney and Essendon have you covered for talent. but they also have you covered for intent and desire. the first is what it is, the second is mindset. maybe that mindset is a product of the negative style of play. idk. maybe they are a little disillusioned by not having anything to kick to and having a game plan that revolves around losing by less.

Roos might need to change tac, even Rossy seems to have relented a bit and Freo are more attacking now. (see yesterday) You are not going to beat people kicking 9.5. the top 4 are averaging 14 - 19 goals a game. Hawks 19, Geelong 14, Sydney and Freo 16+

the players also need to take a lot of the heat. that s**t yesterday was not in any way acceptable irrespective of the game plan. their disposal and decision making was beyond appalling. they need to, as a group, grow a pair. they are killing coaches left and right. I'm starting to think some reasonable people have been besmirched by this group. professional sportspeople need to be self starting and take responsibility for their performance. Some (all) of the Melbourne players need to understand this and not just wander through their careers getting good coin for turning up. surely their pride must not allow what happened on sunday to happen again.

you guys and girls are better people than me. if i had been served up what you guys have got i would have left the table by this.

Did anyone else notice GWS using their "Physio" as a runner during the game on Sunday?

I think this is definitely the reason we lost by 10 goals :drunk:

They certainly didn't try to hide it, and I'm a little surprised no more has come from it. He also wasn't using the interchange gates when coming on or off, as Physio's don't have to, runners do though. And several times he was out on the ground for several minutes running from player to player, when there was clearly no injury, and their actual runner was on the ground at the same time.

Did anyone else notice GWS using their "Physio" as a runner during the game on Sunday?

They certainly didn't try to hide it, and I'm a little surprised no more has come from it. He also wasn't using the interchange gates when coming on or off, as Physio's don't have to, runners do though. And several times he was out on the ground for several minutes running from player to player, when there was clearly no injury, and their actual runner was on the ground at the same time.

Very smart manipulation of the rules I guess, Good way to get around the runner rules

In saying that we should get a priority pick as punishment to them

With all the injuries they got, I wouldn't be suprised if their runner was injured also!

Us, the Dogs, North and St Kilda are only alive because the league wants us to be for now. Brisbane and Sydney could do anything and they'd get bailed out, but if the league ever decides to push relocations/mergers again and they stop writing cheques to our clubs we'll all be in trouble.

We can't just sit back and think we're safe because of the name or the history. The proportion of elderly people at the game yesterday was ridiculous and if we're still playing tedious, horrible football in a couple of years when they start carking it then good luck finding adult members to replace them. We've probably gained the least support of any Victorian club in the last decade. Last year when we had to go begging to the AFL for even more money should have been the wake-up call that we haven't got an automatic licence to show up every year and be a drain on the competition.

It's a good thing we reunited with the MCC because otherwise they'd probably be sitting around the boardroom table thinking about how much more money they could make if they could ship games like yesterday off to another ground.

If the grim reaper ever comes we have to make sure we're in a position that it's not coming for us. Apologies to Dogs, North and St Kilda fans but if we have to throw them under the bus to survive as the Melbourne Demons at the MCG then I'm happy to do it.

I understand it must be painful, but in All seriousness do not compare your club to north melbourne...just sayin

I understand it must be painful, but in All seriousness do not compare your club to north melbourne...just sayin
Don't come to our board and tell us not to compare our club to North... Just sayin. Jog on now if you have nothing constructive to add thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back