Delisted Luke Delaney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad to see that Luke is performing well for the Saints and getting some support from the fans as a consequence. He was always solid whenever he played seniors for North and was amongst the best performed KPD's in the VFL whenever he played in that comp. Hard worker who deserved his chance at AFL level and good to see him taking it with both hands. He was well respected and liked at North and as such we were more than happy to see him get to his club of choice. Long may his form continue.

Seriously good at defending. Manipulates his opponent either under the ball really well, gives them no chance.

Get a bit nervous when he has ball in hand though. No more kick ins, for the love of god.

Agree entirely on both.

But good pick up by you guys.

just going to throw this out there, and i may get ridiculed..

Del > Dal

In terms of structure, where the team is at, etc. I would almost say Keys does more for us than Nicky Dal could do with the remaining time he had left with us

Del > Dal

In terms of structure, where the team is at, etc. I would almost say Keys does more for us than Nicky Dal could do with the remaining time he had left with us

You are totally correct. DalSanto is a crappy full back.
Similarly Maister > Steven

Isn't he an assistant coach at collingwood?
No, he was when he retired, then we took him back. He was one of the mentors last year, think he's concentrating full-time on his building career now

Not me was always up for the recruiting of Delaney & Bruce..Has been up for the challenge from day one, & hasn't missed a beat..
I've yet to see Delaney give less than 100%, or drop his bundle..Will play 100+ games for the Saints..!

ha ha... quite a few had him down as a stop gap until we got a real full back. Always said we need a dour stopper like Spud. does not have to be another Scarlett. Don't even look at his stats to be honest.

Del > Dal

Probably badly put but I know what you mean...

In terms of team value and current requirements. We needed a KPD more than another mid. So in a sense, yes he is of greater importance long term.

I think :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Run Home ‏@therunhome 2m
More
The @championdata not-so-obvious Stat of the Week - Luke Delaney has lost just 1/31 contests for 2014, the best percentage for the AFL

More
With Delaney losing just 1/31 contests for 2014, Travis Cloke won't be in for an easy game on Friday Night as he attempts to find form
Does 31 contests seem a little light for a guy taking the most potent forward over 9 games? I would have thought he would have been a lot more than that?

He has been a real highlight for us this year.

Does 31 contests seem a little light for a guy taking the most potent forward over 9 games? I would have thought he would have been a lot more than that?

They probably only include pure 1v1 contests so that would reduce the number significantly.

Last year it would've been going to his man 31 times a game, take it as a positive. :thumbsu:

For perspective. Delaney has only lost 3% of 1v1 contests. 2nd was Harry Taylor with 7% and 3rd was Lonergan with 11%. Delaney had had more contests than Taylor and Lonergan (separately).

Geelong was no. 1 for winning most 1v1 contests.

he hasn't been spoken about much by the general media, but could he be a possible all australian smokey?

saints fans know how good he is, but no doubt if we asked the question we would be ridiculed enormously lol

This sounds rather familiar doesn't it.

Although I think Delaney has to put in a couple more years before we speak of him in the same sentence as Maxy.

Those stats are certainly skewed, presumably taking into account only pure contests where both men jump for a ball. In those, Delaney puts his fist through it and wins it, no problem. Usually whilst sticking his elbow/shoulder between the shoulder blades - good lad.
But against Gold Coast for example, Lynch took 2 marks against him leading off him. And Dixon took one where Delaney seemed to have swapped onto him, then ran into another Saint. So he's not locking people down completely out of games, he's just preventing us from being outright bullied at the back. Gone are the days when teams can just rain balls in towards the goalsquare. No more watching Simpkin try to handle Jack Riewoldt 20m out.

But that said, Delaney is a sturdy fullback type. Not really much of a football player, but he's a hardnut that makes us more difficult to play against, and he does his thing very well. So much so I see no reason why he can't become a 150 gamer doing that thing. Every contact sport has them, every team needs a big brute that isn't skillful but lets people know the afternoon isn't going to be straightforward even if they are a better side.
When they're all fit in 2015 Delaney, Geary, Wright and Curren will be the guys the opposition hate to face up against.

More
The @championdata not-so-obvious Stat of the Week - Luke Delaney has lost just 1/31 contests for 2014, the best percentage for the AFL

More
With Delaney losing just 1/31 contests for 2014, Travis Cloke won't be in for an easy game on Friday Night as he attempts to find form

According to post in another thread (referring to stats in last week's AFL Record), he's had 14 goals kicked on him (and that would have been pre-Pies game).

So contests is certainly not an indicator of closing down the forward. He's just winning when the ball is kicked right on top of them.

That's still a great help though; as I said in other post, it means we shouldn't get bullied by a FF standing top of the goalsquare like most of last year. It does also however suggest Delaney isn't a shutdown FB; he requires the partnership of a CHB who can look after his own matchup, so that Delaney gets the assistance of the 3rd man up.
I am not convinced Josh Bruce is the CHB of the future - think he'll become the Dempster type and we'll need to find a true matchup CHB in the next couple years.

According to post in another thread (referring to stats in last week's AFL Record), he's had 14 goals kicked on him (and that would have been pre-Pies game).

So contests is certainly not an indicator of closing down the forward. He's just winning when the ball is kicked right on top of them.

That's still a great help though; as I said in other post, it means we shouldn't get bullied by a FF standing top of the goalsquare like most of last year. It does also however suggest Delaney isn't a shutdown FB; he requires the partnership of a CHB who can look after his own matchup, so that Delaney gets the assistance of the 3rd man up.
I am not convinced Josh Bruce is the CHB of the future - think he'll become the Dempster type and we'll need to find a true matchup CHB in the next couple years.

Bruce is 196 cm though, that's definitely tall enough to play as a centre half back.

Bruce is 196 cm though, that's definitely tall enough to play as a centre half back.

Height isn't the only factor.
I know he's young, but right now he's getting beat on the lead and in contests. For a CHB to play 1-1 most of the game, the CHB needs to be able to win a lot of these situations on his own. That is the only way we will have the flexibility to let the loose player help Delaney most of the time.

Say we had Delaney at FB, Bruce as loose, and someone like Alex Rance at CHB - then I'd feel a whole lot better about the structure moving into the next few years.

Height isn't the only factor.
I know he's young, but right now he's getting beat on the lead and in contests. For a CHB to play 1-1 most of the game, the CHB needs to be able to win a lot of these situations on his own. That is the only way we will have the flexibility to let the loose player help Delaney most of the time.

Say we had Delaney at FB, Bruce as loose, and someone like Alex Rance at CHB - then I'd feel a whole lot better about the structure moving into the next few years.

haha please no Rance. He's not too bad 1v1, but if you let him kick it... we're wrecked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back