Remove this Banner Ad

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
Which one is better? Very even in my book.

Both players that i've always rated while others haven't.

Gibbs has been a good player for years but just not the saviour of the club as hoped. And Lids just doesn't get the accolade he deserves, been unbelievably reliable over the years.

As we speak Gibbs is a touch better.

I think Deledio has been better over their careers, with Gibbs having the better season. Lids did miss gamed though with an achiles that Hardwick has acknowledged will trouble him all season until fully rested.

Both of them have the talent to be 10/10 players but neither of them produce those games consistently. Nevertheless, both of them would immediately improve any side they went into as they are skillful, versatile and regularly play at a high, but not elite level.

Can I ask why people see Gibbs better in the future?

Gibbs. Absolute gun. Deledio is very easily tagged out of the game atm, don't know what happened to him in that regard.

Gibbs. Absolute gun. Deledio is very easily tagged out of the game atm, don't know what happened to him in that regard.

Gibbs is very much the same.

Gibbs is very much the same.
Not really. Once Deledio is tagged he usually has almost zero impact, that's why most teams target him so much. I think Giibbs has only struggled with the tag once this season. Deledio has been tagged right out of games five or so times.

Not really. Once Deledio is tagged he usually has almost zero impact, that's why most teams target him so much. I think Giibbs has only struggled with the tag once this season. Deledio has been tagged right out of games five or so times.

So is Gibbs inconsistency this season been because of him being tagged or just him having a bad game.

So is Gibbs inconsistency this season been because of him being tagged or just him having a bad game.
But he hasn't been inconsistent... Especially compared to Deledio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deledio previously, but I think Gibbs' impact in games this season matches and even tops Deledio's best, and given that Deledio is so easily tagged out of games and seems to make little effort to get back into them, I dare say Gibbs going forward.

And also, that's not to say Gibbs has been poor in recent seasons. Under-utilised at times, suffering from being a classy outside player in a HB/midfield unit that has screamed for contested ball beasts at times. It's also not a knock on Deledio in previous seasons, he's been very good, but in 2013-14 he's been nullified with regularity and has looked disinterested in putting that to a stop.

But he hasn't been inconsistent... Especially compared to Deledio.

Round 2 = 12 disposals

Round 7 = 18 disposals

Round 11 = 18 disposals

He has had 3 bad ones, and his team lost all of his games, Gibbs has had better season but still has major flaws.

I think Lids has had the better career, but Gibbs looks to finally be getting close to his potential. Also think he was wasted on defensive/tagging roles for a few years.

Can I ask why people see Gibbs better in the future?

Probably because he is only 25 and finally playing (relatively) A grade footy while Deledio is 27 and starting to struggle with some major injuries (he should get back to his best though).

Also, Gibbs has now established himself as a pure midfielder, while Deleido's best position is still the back flank

Quality Mids >>>>>> quality flankers

Funny, most people I speak to see it the other way. Its probably fairer to say he's one of the more unfairly maligned players going around.

Each to their own I guess.
I admit I haven't followed this season as much as other seasons, just losing interest but he definitely doesn't deserve a 5 year contract!

If you ask this question at the end of their careers... Gibbs.

Deledio has the ability to be elite, but isn't and never will be. Something about him, he just seems so soft and uninterested when the going gets tough.

If you ask this question at the end of their careers... Gibbs.

Deledio has the ability to be elite, but isn't and never will be. Something about him, he just seems so soft and uninterested when the going gets tough.

Things aren't always as they seem. ;)

Lids is a gun. And for the record he's been carrying an achilles injury this season, and only now beginning to hit his straps.

I admit I haven't followed this season as much as other seasons, just losing interest but he definitely doesn't deserve a 5 year contract!
Do Sam Reid and Michael Hurley deserve their 5 years contracts? Gibbs is far superior to them. Gibbs is massively underrated and his clearance and contested work is very good for a player considered soft by many.

Do Sam Reid and Michael Hurley deserve their 5 years contracts? Gibbs is far superior to them. Gibbs is massively underrated and his clearance and contested work is very good for a player considered soft by many.
Gibbs definitely deserves one over those two (especially Hurley o_O) but that doesn't mean he deserves one. 5 year contracts should be saved for elite players, Gibbs isn't elite.

Back