Deledio Vs Griffen

Remove this Banner Ad

*Griffen. Griffin is the Crows/Freo ruckman.

Love the Richmond supporters. "Don't bring up b+fs because it makes my player not look as good".

garbage. my point was players cant very well play for others so to denegrate a b+f winner in a lower team is completely unfair and to think that said player is not able win a b+f in a better team(just as vice versa) is just supposition to support your own argument. your just guessing. does that mean other players such as west(03/04) and nick reiwoldt(02) are crap bc their teams in that year didnt go too well? no of course not.

its interesting isnt it that for a supposedly, according to you, that a player(bc he won b+f's in a crap team therefore he must be crap) in a crap team is winning v a top player from a good team, is losing. if he is so good he should win this in a streak.

enough said.

I wouldn't say West was better in those years he won the bnf in our crap side than players who were winning best and fairests in top sides. Over the journey he was better than most, but this is a Griffen vs Deledio poll.

Over their careers, Griffen has got his team deep into finals and performed in september. Deledio has won two Joel Bowden medals. As for how the poll is going- It's a bigfooty poll. A large amount of bigfooty posters are idiots. Wouldn't read too much into it. I know Griffen is better, and deep down you do, too.

Deledio is an excellent half back flanker. But you'd take the guy who plays pure midfield and kicks goals over the plug-gap player.

Over their careers, Griffen has got his team deep into finals and performed in september. Deledio has won two Joel Bowden medals. As for how the poll is going- It's a bigfooty poll. A large amount of bigfooty posters are idiots. Wouldn't read too much into it. I know Griffen is better, and deep down you do, too.

Deledio is an excellent half back flanker. But you'd take the guy who plays pure midfield and kicks goals over the plug-gap player.

Seriously, you must be kidding? What a load of claptrap.

Anyone with the slightest bit of AFL erudition would come to the conclusion that Deledio is a jet, not just an "excellent half back flanker / plug-gap player".

Deledio and Griffen are at both approximately 150 games each and have kicked somewhere near 100 goals. Your argument is on the basis that Deledio is nothing more than a half back flanker. Yet Deledio has almost kicked as many goals as Griffen whilst spending the last 2 seasons off half-back.

Deledio's best and fairest seasons where spent in the midfield. He was averaging 25 quality possessions a game furthermore he was hitting the scoreboard.

Most levelheaded footy analysers would agree that currently Richmond's coaches are doing their best to waste Deledio's potential by playing him along halfback. This will be proven when he re-enters the midfield and becomes a brilliant goal-kicking midfielder.

If you're going to come to the conclusion that Griffen is superior player, provide reasonable analysis not just vent frustration from the poll status.

Deledio is better in my opinion.
It's just ashame he's plugging holes at Richmond.

If you're going to come to the conclusion that Griffen is superior player, provide reasonable analysis not just vent frustration from the poll status.

What would you call reasonable analysis? all you are saying is Deledio is being ruined by his situation at Richmond. How is that reasonable when it is really a personal observation. You cannot say either way that he is or is not. theflea said that Deledio was put back there because of lack of skill in the rest of the backline? Maybe if he was such a jet he'd play midfield and stop the ball from getting down there?

Griffen has played 7 less games and despite spending as much time, if not more, on the halfback line as averages the same amount of goals. This is despite Deledio kicking twice as many goals as Griff in their first season, and 19 more goals in 2007. This stat points to Griffen being more consistent than Deledio on the scoreboard over the journey.

Griffen's best and fairest year in 2010 was also spent in the midfield, as has most of Griffen's career since making the move off halfback. He averaged 24 disposals and a goal a game from the midfield, and beat off guys like Cooney and Boyd for the medal. Who was going to take bnf votes off Deledio in 2010? Cotchin and Martin were still babies.

I'm a bit of a fan of Griffen. He is just so strong and creative and if the Dogs need a lift, he is the one they turn to for a bit of skill. The fact that he can't always lift them is not through a lack of trying. With Cooney missing games, the pressure has been on Griffen a bit as Cross and Boyd are your solid grunt and accumulator type players.

I probably don't watch Deledio as much and because the Blues have had the wood on the Tigers for a stretch, he hasn't particularly performed against us.

What would you call reasonable analysis? all you are saying is Deledio is being ruined by his situation at Richmond. How is that reasonable when it is really a personal observation. You cannot say either way that he is or is not. theflea said that Deledio was put back there because of lack of skill in the rest of the backline? Maybe if he was such a jet he'd play midfield and stop the ball from getting down there?

Griffen has played 7 less games and despite spending as much time, if not more, on the halfback line as averages the same amount of goals. This is despite Deledio kicking twice as many goals as Griff in their first season, and 19 more goals in 2007. This stat points to Griffen being more consistent than Deledio on the scoreboard over the journey.

Griffen's best and fairest year in 2010 was also spent in the midfield, as has most of Griffen's career since making the move off halfback. He averaged 24 disposals and a goal a game from the midfield, and beat off guys like Cooney and Boyd for the medal. Who was going to take bnf votes off Deledio in 2010? Cotchin and Martin were still babies.

You may want to read over my post, you'll find whilst I did not give Griffen any praise (there was no need because I was replying to your bluntness), I did not make any negative remarks either. You don't need to justify that Griffen is a good player because I did not dispute this.

But your analysis of Deledio is senseless, you've blatantly said that Deledio is nothing more than an excellent defender and a plug-hole player. Yet when previously playing in the midfield has shown he most certainly has the wherewithal to play a role and do well at it.

From memory the two players who beat Deledio to the 2010 Jack Dyer medal were Jack Riewoldt(ironically was the Coleman medalist) and captain Chris Newman who had a brilliant year in a poor side. The babies didn't go near Deledio on B&F night.

Griffen won a best and fairest in a very good side. Unfortunately Deledio hasn't had the luxury to win a best and fairest in a worthy side as yet. Lets not go through each season either. Keep it simple and recognize that they're stats when playing in the midfield are almost parallel.

I refer back to my original detail and that to say Deledio is nothing more than an excellent half back flanker/hole-pluger is foolish.

I wouldn't say West was better in those years he won the bnf in our crap side than players who were winning best and fairests in top sides. Over the journey he was better than most, but this is a Griffen vs Deledio poll.

isnt it great that you still cant let it go.

and deep down i know lids is a better player so do the pollsters.you already qualified/denied the results and now you're bagging the bf posters. way to go to win an argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On character grounds you'd love Griffen over Deledio.

Yes, looks like to Dogs are in for a lean patch. Does Griffen come out and delay contract talks? no- he signs up and is basically a Dog for life.

Deledio gets made a life member of his club, you'd think he'd have signed up well and truly by now.

Griffen- best and fairest in a quality side AND a committed club man.

Deledio- dual best and fairest in a rubbish side AND considering walking out.

Interesting turn of events ManOfClay.

It's funny just how many hindsight heroes there are.

At that point in time Griffen was loyal. Or maybe he could see the future and just didn't want to play for Essendon
Well when you use it as one of your main arguments and have a stab at deledio for 'considering' walking out it is a very valid bump.

This is the point of the bump, I suspect.

At least Lids still plays for my club.. . ;)

I think Griffen is a slightly better player but I think Deledio would suit Hwthorn More as He can go Forward and be either a inside or outside Midfielder. 95% of Hawthorn players can play at least 2 different roles or Positions. 25% of our team can play 3 or more positions

All I know is this year against Port at AO Griffen was BOG for the dogs and they were keeping up with us but then went off with a bad back and without him out there we just took over and killed them, he was that important to them. I think he's the better player but is more injury prone.

Up until the end of the 2014 season I would have Griffen a touch ahead of Deledio, mainly because of how good he was in September.

Going forward though, Griffen's chronic back problems are a real concern and if I had the choice of the two at Whitten Oval in 2015 I would take Deledio in a heartbeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back