Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
It's probably too early to be talking about it (and too early for a new thread) but got some time at work so thought I'd give a rough delist/trade/draft guess for the off-season.

Current status
This infro from the contracts thread, not sure if some is now out of date.

Contracted after 2014
Mackenzie
LeCras
Hurn
Schofield
Masten
Brown
Kennedy
Selwood
Wellingham
Shuey
Yeo
Waters – I think he’ll stay

Contracted until the end of 2014
To stay
Nicholas Naitanui – will re-sign
Brad Sheppard – will re-sign
Xavier Ellis – think he’ll get a new contract

Potential to be traded
Andrew Gaff – may request trade
Scott Lycett - may request trade

Likely delistees (most likely to least likely)
Jacob Brennan – likely to be delisted
Patrick McGinnity – likely to be delisted
Sam Butler – may get another year with all the other HBFs to be chopped
Ashley Smith – potentially to be delisted, or traded for next to nothing

Potential retirees
Darren Glass – 90% chance to retire
Dean Cox – 50% chance to retire

Unknown Contracts
To stay
Matt Rosa – should re-sign but eligible to FA if he leaves
Josh Hill – should re-sign
Jamie Cripps - should re-sign
Brant Colledge – will re-sign
Adam Carter – will re-sign
Mark Hutchings - will re-sign
Fraser McInnes – should re-sign
Matt Priddis – thought he had recently signed? Will be here next year
Jack Darling - Signed a contract extension in Decemeber 2013 – will be here
Jeremy McGovern – should get another year
Simon Tunbridge – will re-sign
Jamie Bennell – will re-sign unless injured
Dominic Sheed – signed for 2015
Malcom Karpany - signed for 2015
Dylan Main - signed for 2015
Tom Barrass - signed for 2015

Likely delistee
Blayne Wilson – should go

Rookies
Sinclair – is he contracted for next year? Should be elevated for sure
Newman – should go
Maginness – should get another year as a rookie, maybe promotion
Powell – should get another year as a rookie

Potential 2014 off-season

Delist (in order of likeliness)
4/5 of: Brennan, Wilson, McGinnity, Butler, Smith, McGovern, McInness, Sheppard, Waters, Ellis, Bennell

Rookie delist: Newman

Retire
Glass, maybe Cox

Trade
Hard to guess, so I won’t. But assume we’ll lose as many players as we gain via trade.

Upgrade
Sinclair

Draft
R1, Waterman (hopefully with r2), r3, r4

My guess
Out: Brennan, Wilson, McGinnity, Butler, Smith, Glass

In: Sinclair, R1, Waterman (hopefully with r2), r3, r4, r5 – we probably won’t use a round 5 pick, more likely to grab someone via FA or maybe trade someone

Potential trade/FA targets
Matera, Jeff Garlett, Yarran, Howlett – no idea really, interested in any thoughts.

We really need some mids.

Ha ha no ! 2 different sets of attributes which can add different balance to our side . I would do it in a flash
You tool, its a sideways trade, period. How will they add different things to our team? There both pussies when going for ball, they're both outside players, one is injury prone while the other isn't, how exactly is this a good trade?

You tool, its a sideways trade, period. How will they add different things to our team? There both pussies when going for ball, they're both outside players, one is injury prone while the other isn't, how exactly is this a good trade?
Lol . Well gaff is a very outside smallish endurance runner with steady pace who likes to stick to the wings, a left foot only likes to link up from half back , good delivery I50 but doesn't often hit the scoreboard .
Bennell on the other hand is a fast line breaking mid who takes the game on through the corrodore , does possess an inside game , hits the scoreboard almost every game , has good skills but endurance and a few injuries are his downfall
The only similarities are age and good skills

Lol . Well gaff is a very outside smallish endurance runner with steady pace who likes to stick to the wings, a left foot only likes to link up from half back , good delivery I50 but doesn't often hit the scoreboard .
Bennell on the other hand is a fast line breaking mid who takes the game on through the corrodore , does possess an inside game , hits the scoreboard almost every game , has good skills but endurance and a few injuries are his downfall
The only similarities are age and good skills
Please shut up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Err... are you talking about the same Bennell? As in Harley from gold coast?

He is a much harder footballer then Gaff, much quicker, much more skillful and line breaking. And would be a decent cherry on top of our very average Vanilla Sandwich midfield.

Err... are you talking about the same Bennell? As in Harley from gold coast?

He is a much harder footballer then Gaff, much quicker, much more skillful and line breaking. And would be a decent cherry on top of our very average Vanilla Sandwich midfield.

And about tenth in the pecking order in the Goldcoast midfield.
Not interested.

And about tenth in the pecking order in the Goldcoast midfield.
Not interested.
Wut?

I reckon at this point, the only players they would value higher than a fit Bennell for the future would be Gazza, O'Meara and Jack.

Bennel has shown he can be utterly dominant, see line breaking, high possession, clearance winning, tackling and goal kicking matches.

His upper limit seems to be greater than that of Swallow or Prestia and he is a bloody hard worker these days. Just needs to stay injury free.

A better prospect than any mid on our list .

Gaff has played 64 games in three seasons.
Well on way to become a 200 game player.
Led the team in inside 50's over the last 2 seasons.
Invaluable member of the team.
Not sure what you are going to get with Harley Bennel.
Wouldn't want to stake the future of your midfield around Harley.
His brother walked out on Collingwood a few years back.

Gaff has played 64 games in three seasons.
Well on way to become a 200 game player.
Led the team in inside 50's over the last 2 seasons.
Invaluable member of the team.
Not sure what you are going to get with Harley Bennel.
Wouldn't want to stake the future of your midfield around Harley.
His brother walked out on Collingwood a few years back.

lol at the comment I quoted. Not the above crap.

I like Gaff. Has his flaws but can be an important part of our side into the long term and a successful one if possible. But Gaff being a good footballer isn't an impediment to a trade when talking of a player of Bennells ability.

Staking the future? Hyperbole much?

Last edited:
lol at the comment I quoted.

I like Gaff. Has his flaws but can be an important part of our side into the long term and a successful one if possible.

But Gaff being a good footballer isn't an impediment to a trade when talking of a player of Bennells ability.
I'm happy.
Am confident it will stay as is.

Staking the future? Hyperbole much?

If a straight swap with Bennell and Gaff was hypothetically possible we'd be crazy not to do it. Unfortunately this will never happen. Anyway I doubt the club will willingly trade Gaff unless he requests a trade back home, in which case we will most likely get reamed as he is out of contract. At best we'll get a late first rounder. If we were to target Bennell, Gold Coast would want both our first rounder and the first rounder traded from the Gaff trade (maybe even more). This won't happen if we we are forced to use our first pick on Waterman. Either way we'll probably be losing out so I'd say we'd be better off trying to keep Gaff and hedge our bets on free agency and the up-coming drafts where we can target primarily midfielders.
P.S. For the record I think many people on here are being way too harsh on Gaff considering how well he has played so early in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back