Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

94_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jul 22, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats Warriors Glory Pelicans
11 WEST COAST: LIAM DUGGAN

(Western Jets, 11/12/96, 183cm, 75kg)

Smart, trustworthy onballer with a nice left-foot kick. Clean on the outside and has improved his in-close play.

The rationale: He's too good to pass up on. Duggan might not have the express speed of other players, but he is smart, composed, has strong endurance and is good at pretty much everything. He's a safe bet and will add to the Eagles' midfield depth.

The complication: Jayden Laverde or Lachie Weller could also go here, with Nakia Cockatoo a much longer shot.

56587292.jpg

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
This is who I hope lasts till our third

Jackson NELSON Geelong Falcons | 15/3/96 | H: 188cm | W: 80kg Jackson should get drafted. I liken him to Travis Boak at
the same age, as he’s just a great kid and did well for Vic
Country. He gets the ball well, is a great decision-maker,
has elite skills and is a great athlete. He plays midfield/
forward and I reckon he might go second or third round. He’s a seriously quick player who I really rate. – Geelong Falcons region manager Michael Turner
Most phantoms have him going between 35-55

hungrytiger

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
11 WEST COAST: LIAM DUGGAN

(Western Jets, 11/12/96, 183cm, 75kg)

Smart, trustworthy onballer with a nice left-foot kick. Clean on the outside and has improved his in-close play.

The rationale: He's too good to pass up on. Duggan might not have the express speed of other players, but he is smart, composed, has strong endurance and is good at pretty much everything. He's a safe bet and will add to the Eagles' midfield depth.

The complication: Jayden Laverde or Lachie Weller could also go here, with Nakia Cockatoo a much longer shot.

56587292.jpg
add to our depth haha that doesnt sound good. so he will be behind our b grade midfielders. He sounds like Brock Mclean

Laverde ticks the middle two boxes.
Ticks the top one too

Nah that's a fair point. He hasn't played a full time mid role like Duggan does, and there is no guarantees that's even where Simmo would use him.

He COULD though, he's obviously big enough and his contested game isn't anything to be worried about.

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Nah that's a fair point. He hasn't played a full time mid role like Duggan does, and there is no guarantees that's even where Simmo would use him.

He COULD though, he's obviously big enough and his contested game isn't anything to be worried about.

Still needs to add weight and prove he can play inside... which is perhaps why he's sliding (lack of contested game)?

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont

hungrytiger

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Still needs to add weight and prove he can play inside... which is perhaps why he's sliding (lack of contested game)?

yea thats the rumour that clubs are unsure of his best position. obviously if he will take a fair amount of work to become that big bodied mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

189cm's, he'll fill out like nobody's business. This won't be another Sheppard/Gaff scenario IMO

Pretty much all of the available draftees at our pick (save blakely) would need to add weight and work on there contested game at the top level. I wouldn't expect him to be playing inside straight away, but i'd argue he's the most prepared out of Duggan, Cockatoo and Degoey.

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
Here's why i don't want Duggan with our first.

Does he help with our lack of big bodied midfielders - No
Does he help with our lack of pace in the midfield - No
Does he help with our lack of X factor - No
Does he have good skills - Yes

Going by those 4 points, i'd rather pass. Masten basically ticks the same amount of boxes, and he's nothing but a B grade vanilla slice.

Laverde would tick all of those boxes
I rate Laverde, he was my fav but never considered he would be at our pick. Doesn't have great footskills though

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
189cm's, he'll fill out like nobody's business. This won't be another Sheppard/Gaff scenario IMO

Pretty much all of the available draftees at our pick (save blakely) would need to add weight and work on there contested game at the top level. I wouldn't expect him to be playing inside straight away, but i'd argue he's the most prepared out of Duggan, Cockatoo and Degoey.

Yes, however of those being touted at our pick, he's the least exposed to playing midfield. No idea about his school footy. Of course, his slide could just be case of excess FIGJAM, you never know...

I'm finding myself in consensus with many of your posts lately DS

One of us should be concerned by that

maxrm

All Australian
Jan 25, 2010
North Beach
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
Sounds increasingly likely that it's coming down to Laverde, Duggan and Weller which is making me a very happy man indeed. Would be happy with any of them and I rate them all quite evenly.
Personally suspect that the recruiters preference is Duggan, followed by Laverde with Weller as the back-up plan.

At our second selection I can see the recruiters selecting Blakely in the unlikely scenario that he's available with Cavka and Viojo-Rainbow the next best chances. Who knows we might end up with two (Western) Jets in the first two rounds if we end up with Laverde/Duggan with a dash of Rainbow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back