Delisted free agents = free agency for anyone?? I don't get it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So sitting back this time of year we are seeing a lot of payer movements, legitimate Free Agents like Malceski and we also see traditional trading between clubs.

But now we seeing young (under 25) former first and second round picks get delisted or refuse the contract offered to them like Newton from Port.

The club is then forced to delist them and the player goes and negotiates with who they would like and who is interested. If they haven't done so already.

The club attracting them picks up a good player who has likely struggled with injuries for nothing but cap space. What is stopping a 21 rising star to refuse the contract offered and return to a power club in their home state?

Is this just Free Agency in another form but for younger players?

What restrictions really are there with out of contract player movements?

They are only delisted free agents if the club doesn't offer them a contract, not if they refuse the contract the club offered them.
For example: Mitch Robinson is a delisted free agent because carlton didn't offer him a contract whereas Jason Tutt isn't because the bulldogs offered him a contract.

For example: Mitch Robinson is a delisted free agent because carlton didn't offer him a contract whereas Jason Tutt isn't because the bulldogs offered him a contract.

You sure?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/dees-leading-race-for-newton

This article suggests that Melbourne will pick up Newton as a delisted free agent...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-24/ports-cuts-trio-from-list

However this article says Port Adelaide offered Newton a contract but he turned it down...

From my understanding, a delisted Free Agent is someone who has not been offered a contract and been cut from a list.

A player who walks away after rejecting a contract is not a free agent and must go into either the national or preseason draft.

I could be wrong.

Port and Sydney are certainly doing their (reasonably well regarded) players a favour by delisting them. It can then result in a competitive advantage for the team who signs these players.

That said it's not like they are superstars.

It's probably just a stepping stone to more free agency for older players. Which I kind of hate but in some ways does make more sense.

If Newton does sign for Melbourne then at least the teams with PSD 1 and 2 are the ones signing these players. Tutt will get to Carlton with an early PSD pick.

I don't think clubs will be releasing players so easily if they end up heading towards signing with a top 4 team.

Port and Sydney are certainly doing their (reasonably well regarded) players a favour by delisting them. It can then result in a competitive advantage for the team who signs these players.

That said it's not like they are superstars.

It's probably just a stepping stone to more free agency for older players. Which I kind of hate but in some ways does make more sense.

If Newton does sign for Melbourne then at least the teams with PSD 1 and 2 are the ones signing these players. Tutt will get to Carlton with an early PSD pick.

I don't think clubs will be releasing players so easily if they end up heading towards signing with a top 4 team.

if Melbourne sign Newton as a delisted free agent they could potentially use PSD pick 2 on tutt for example which, giving them an unfair advantage, or are u suggesting that its ok because the team lower on the ladder needs more help (which has merit too)

So sitting back this time of year we are seeing a lot of payer movements, legitimate Free Agents like Malceski and we also see traditional trading between clubs.

But now we seeing young (under 25) former first and second round picks get delisted or refuse the contract offered to them like Newton from Port.

The club is then forced to delist them and the player goes and negotiates with who they would like and who is interested. If they haven't done so already.

The club attracting them picks up a good player who has likely struggled with injuries for nothing but cap space. What is stopping a 21 rising star to refuse the contract offered and return to a power club in their home state?

Is this just Free Agency in another form but for younger players?

What restrictions really are there with out of contract player movements?

You really are confused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back